Poughkeepsie

Stairs help

Poughkeepsie

We are now at the pointy end of choosing options for our second storey addition. I’m stuck on what timber to use on our stair treads, if anyone has any ideas or recommendations.

If money was no object, we would go with Spotted Gum or Blackbutt, but unfortunately we can’t afford that! So I was thinking either American Oak or Victorian Ash, to try and achieve a similar colour line. 

The balustrade will be glass and steel and the stair risers will be white painted (pine or MDF, not sure, but not fully timber as the money is spent elsewhere!)

Thanks in advance 

Poughkeepsie

Anyone? No-one? 😊

Green Sage

Shouldn’t the stairs match your floors? 

overlytired

I would use the same species youve used for the floors (assuming they're wood?).

TinyGiraffe

Be aware that white stair risers are likely to get very scuffed and dirty from toe's hitting on the way up. 

• Like 1

got my tinsel on

Don't go too dark, it will show every speck of dust.

Don't go too light, it will show every bit of dirt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jersey Caramel

It really depends on what the other floors are? Are they timber?

Poughkeepsie

I don’t have timber floors in the area of the house where the stairs will be (it’s a granite tile that we can’t change out because it was already here when we bought and it’s too expensive to change out) but the furniture we have has light coloured ash/oak timber legs. The top floor will be carpeted for soundproofing reasons, but we thought it would look too dark to carry the carpet down the stairs as well. That’s why we thought we’d go light timber treads. 

Green Sage

I’d just carpet them. Cheap, and matches the upstairs. A wood staircase might look odd. 

otherwise, post a photo of your tiles and carpet so we can see what will match both 

Chamomile
Posted (edited)

Edited by Chamomile

Bereckii

We have tiles downstairs.

Wood stairs (a fairly light colour, they also have a balustrade of glass and steel, the risers are the same timber as the stairs)

Carpet upstairs.

We are renting, so had zero input on the design.

I like the timber stairs, it's pretty easy to keep clean.

After reading PPs comments and thinking about it, it is a bit noisy at times (tween clumping down the stairs, DH also is a bit heavy with his tread), but not a big problem.

Whereas the sound of kids jumping heavily around in the (carpeted) upstairs playroom drives me NUTS! 

I'll try and attach a pic.

Screenshot_20201006-170402_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

wanting3

I love my carpeted stairs from the tile bottom floor to our wood floor second floor. Mainly because all of the dirt ends up on the first couple of stairs and I can keep these vacuumed, instead of it migrating up the stairs to track all over that floor.

cats_galore

I think the American Oak would we pretty neutral and work well with both the tiles and the carpet. I would definitely pick to have the timber stairs. I love our timber stairs but that’s just a personal preference. 

Poughkeepsie

Bereckii, thanks so much for the pic. Your stairs are a gorgeous colour. Your balustrading looks almost identical to what we’ve chosen too, so it’s good to see the whole picture so to speak!

I am definitely having carpet upstairs as even though it’s us parents up there, it has a retreat which I am sure will be well-used by our kids as it will be another TV/entertaining room (it will have awesome city views).

I originally had thought we would just carpet down the stairs too, but it will be incredibly dark with the carpet we are thinking of and will look strange next to our light-coloured furniture and walls. Hence why I though light timber would be best. 
Argh...I am terrible at making decisions! Drawbacks of being a bloody indecisive Libran 😁

Photo 1 is our granite floor (with our oak furniture legs)

Photo 2 is the carpet we are considering

Photo 3 is the type of stairs I was after 

EA3F42B2-7C81-4BC5-ADDC-A3B27A5D6778.jpeg

E608FC2C-9829-4F47-AB61-C3AD04DDC49A.jpeg

B15D4B88-2A09-44B0-BD1C-5FF6D75DBC9E.jpeg

• Like 1

bubskitkat
Posted (edited)

Please see attached photo

14E94B3E-163F-40F8-A81D-DC07AF93F947.jpeg

Edited by bubskitkat
  • Like 1

Green Sage

Any light wood would go well. Leaning towards American oak. 

• Like 1

bubskitkat

Sorry about the photo. I have light floors and a stained walnut staircase. After 1 year I have scratches on the staircase and the cat fur gathers there. 

if you have pets or kids go for carpet and then nice wood later. I could cry over the scratches and can see I’ll be spending money in the future to have the stair case renewed.

bubskitkat
3 minutes ago, Green Sage said:

Any light wood would go well. Leaning towards American oak. 

Light wood would not show the marks or dust as much as a dark stain like I did.

• Like 1

Poughkeepsie

The walnut stain is pretty though! 
So (and this may be a stupid question...) is it a pine staircase that’s stained walnut, or a particular type of walnut-coloured timber? 

• Like 1

Babetty

I'm thinking an all timber stair like Bereckii's would look better with the granite and carpet than timber&white.

• Like 1

got my tinsel on
3 hours ago, Chamomile said:

Carpet is soft and quieter. Has lots of advantages. 

As much as I hate having to vacuum our carpeted stairs, I've been very grateful they were carpeted when we have tripped and fallen on the stairs.

Poughkeepsie
13 minutes ago, Babetty said:

I'm thinking an all timber stair like Bereckii's would look better with the granite and carpet than timber&white.

Yeah I know, I would love that but it’s just way too expensive. We are already pushing the budget as it is, so the white risers with timber treads was the next more affordable option.

Babetty
14 hours ago, Poughkeepsie said:

Yeah I know, I would love that but it’s just way too expensive. We are already pushing the budget as it is, so the white risers with timber treads was the next more affordable option.

The glass and metal balustrade you're planning on looks fantastic but granite, timber stairs, white risers, plus carpet plus glass plus metal is a lot of different surfaces and might just look really "busy". If timber rises isn't an option due to cost, could you simplify the balustrading? Either just dark metal like busbitkat, or white & timber like in the photo you posted?

It's hard when you're constrained by both budget and other surfaces you didn't choose - I'm planning a kitchen reno but  can't/ won't replace existing tiles all through the open plan kitchen living / hallway etc so I need to work with what's there!

• Like 2

tothebeach

The white risers is a current fad and may not remain.   We have white risers in our house.  They look great as it’s a Hamptons style house at the beach but the stairs are beautiful blackbutt so it’s a pity that they are covered.  

You may have just too much going on with too many different colours and textures. Particularly because your granite tiles are not just white.   

Have you considered floating stairs attached to your glass balustrade?
image.png.27b6647b2b5670f541fbb267aef8b409.png

bubskitkat
20 hours ago, Poughkeepsie said:

The walnut stain is pretty though! 
So (and this may be a stupid question...) is it a pine staircase that’s stained walnut, or a particular type of walnut-coloured timber? 

It’s pine but stained a walnut colour. I got to choose the stain.