Isolated Old Elf

CREP ratings - so confused!

Isolated Old Elf

We are needing a new car seat for average size  4 yo who has the convertible seat (rear faced till 3, then ff for a year). It is a Britax.

the CREP rating for ff car restraints shows nothing with a safety ratting higher than 1.9. However, the booster rating (4_10) ratings are 4.9. Does this imply that NONE  of the 4-8 yo harnessed car restraints are as safe as the boosters? I cannot imagine this is true, and I realise they have different rating criteria, but it seems odd that a booster would be considered to offer better protection to a 4 yo than  a 5 point harnessed car seat? 
Any advice or recommendations please?!

Bereckii

I remember being frustrated about this too.

I spent a lot of time looking at it and IIRC eventually worked out that you can't compare the two ratings. They are rated differently.

I can't remember where I found that info, so I guess my info is a bit unreliable as a don't have a source that I can present to confirm this. 

So frustrating.

• Like 1

Bereckii

This might help - if you try and compare across 2 categories, a pop-up box appears on the CREP website stating that you can't compare across 2 categories.

20201004_221328.jpg

Thagomizer

CREP is crap. They are not a reliable source. There are several car seats on that site that are the exact same seat, just branded differently for different stores that have different safety ratings. They are not transparent about the tests they do and are clearly not methodical (given they can't tell that two identical seats are actually the same). They don't do repeat testing, which is why their results fluctuate wildly. 

A harnessed booster is considerably safer than a seatbelt-only booster. CREP only compares within the same category. So they're comparing seatbelt boosters to other seatbelt boosters. They don't make it clear that some categories are safer than others.

All Australian seats meet the same safety standards. They are all safe, but some are safer (eg extended rear facing, extended harnessing etc).  CREP doesn't consider that. A safe seat is one that can be fitted properly in your vehicle and that fits your child. There's a fantastic Facebook group that's Australian based and can answer lots of specific questions about car seats if you are interested. I found that group really helpful! 

• Like 6

*Andi*

^^ all of this. Harnessed all the way! 

• Like 4

Redchick2
8 hours ago, Thagomizer said:

. A safe seat is one that can be fitted properly in your vehicle and that fits your child

Totally this! And Thagomizer’s comment that all car seats in Australia meet the Australian safety standard. I used to feel guilty that I couldn’t buy the car seat that had the highest safety rating and had to remind myself that the Australian standard is very good. 

• Like 1

Isolated Old Elf

Thank you so much everyone! Very much appreciated. We will go with the harnessed. I had no idea crep were crap! Thank you! Very helpful information here. 

• Like 1

*Andi*
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Isolated Old Elf said:

Thank you so much everyone! Very much appreciated. We will go with the harnessed. I had no idea crep were crap! Thank you! Very helpful information here. 

I know, I used to think that was the way to choose a seat! The fb group is very knowledgeable, but I don't think I'd be game to post there as they are very, umm, passionate 😂 You can find anything you need by searching though, it's very active. It's called Child restraints: is your child restrained correctly? 

As for harnessed seats, we have maxi guard pros and they are great! The girls find them comfortable and you can adjust the harness height just by pulling it up and down from the top without taking the seat out. My DD has just turned 7 and is probably slightly above average height, and she still has room in the second-top slot. So it should last her a fair while longer! 

Edited by *Andi*
  • Like 2

Bethlehem Babe
Posted (edited)

We have my youngest at 7 in a maxi guard pro. Love it. So comfy and easy to use. When we first got it, my then large 9 year old was able to sit in it comfortably. 

I really wish they would replace the crep testing. It’s too confusing and inconsistent. 

Edited by Bethlehem Babe
  • Like 2

Isolated Old Elf

I’ve put a deposit on a Maxiguard Pro. Can’t get any in Adelaide atm. Hopefully they come through soon!

thanks again!

• Like 1