Sign in to follow this  
Hypnic Jerk

Dust mite allergy

Hypnic Jerk

Further to our eczema eradication quest I am now reading up on dust mite allergy.  DD tested positive for allergy to these, along with rye grass a week or two ago.  She will have the desensitisation injections, but this won't be till next year.

So, the internet* tells me to get dust mite resistant covers for her mattress, pillow and doona.  Where do I go for these?  Recommendations please!

*legit government website

22Fruitmincepies

Oh no! Dust mite allergy is soooo annoying! Welcome to the club :( DD’s eczema is majorly related to her allergies, and dust mites is the only one we can’t avoid completely (the others are foods that will put her in hospital). 

The single thing that has helped the most is using nasonex spray every night. Seriously life changing for DD. The other has been to move almost everything out of her room so that there is not much in there to collect dust. It makes vacuuming and dusting (wet dusting) so much easier. 

I can’t remember the name of the company we got the bedding from, and I’m in the car while DS naps so can’t check. I’ll have a look later. 

can'tstayaway

This is one of the brands recommended by our allergist

https://www.allergend.com.au

We have the mattress protectors, quilt protectors and pillow protectors.   Buying them all is expensive but the PITA is having to remove them for regular washing.  I wash sheets weekly and do the dust mite covers 3 monthly.  It probably isn’t frequent enough but it seems ok atm.  Did I mention how much I dislike having to remove all the covers?

Bedrooms are meant to be free of clutter so vacuuming and dusting is easy but we’re still recovering from school at home and crap everywhere. Ordinarily everything would be in drawers or cupboards with doors.   When soft toys were still been taken into bed, I would wash them fortnightly and freeze them in between.  

The other thing we have which has been wonderful with our various pollen allergies has been a HEPA air filter.  

Our allergist explained that since we spend approximately 1/3 of our lives asleep, it is the easiest ‘room’ that we can control and minimise allergens.  It gives the body a chance to rest so we can cope more easily when we are out.

• Like 1

spr_maiden

Definitely allergend dustmite covers. They are a necessity imo. Think of it as without them,  she's full body lying down in an allergen - it will affect her sleep quality,  breathing and comfort - every day for several hours at a time. 

Csa has good advice^.

Hypnic Jerk

Are these online only or can you get them in store?

Kiwi Bicycle

Just curious about the dustmite covers, but do they rustle at all? Just I brought a waterproof duvet cover proector and used it for one night and hated the slighlty plastic rustling noise, and took it back. I was looking for something to protect the duvet if DS threw up, but it looks like DS has DHs dust mite allergy, so am hoping they don't rustle.

*bucket*

Best of luck. DS is allergic to dust mites, and I'm surprised he doesn't suffer more, given our house must be full of them. He is also allergic to grasses. I'm not sure of the specific ones, but a lot of local ones are included. We are near some wetlands, and if he goes near there, he will have an asthma attack. He used to take a Claratyne everyday (the chewable ones), then they got less effective so he moved to Zyrtec. Now he has Singulair daily and the Zyrtec for back up. The dust at home doesn't bother him too much while it is settled, it is when we move things around that he tends to flare. Our whole house is totally not allergy friendly, carpet almost everywhere, and ducted heating and cooling to blow things around.

And to answer the question, we got protectors from Allergend too. I ordered them online, it was a few years ago now. Probably need to replace them soon.

amdirel

Our allergist recommends Allergend as well. I couldn't afford them at the time so got a different brand, but they were still the full envelope style.

Mrs Twit

We use Allegend as well. I bought the whole lot years ago online, and while it was expensive to set up they are still in use. He has since finished the 3 or 4 year course of drops (he didn't want to do injections) and his dust mite allergy is mostly under control, but we still take the pillowcase cover with us on holiday. It's small and easy to pack and I figure his nose is close to the pillow and often when you are staying with people you end up with old pillows. We used to take the fitted sheet as well but he has been so good lately we don't bother now (not that we travel anywhere at the moment :( ).

can'tstayaway
2 hours ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Just curious about the dustmite covers, but do they rustle at all? Just I brought a waterproof duvet cover proector and used it for one night and hated the slighlty plastic rustling noise, and took it back. I was looking for something to protect the duvet if DS threw up, but it looks like DS has DHs dust mite allergy, so am hoping they don't rustle.

They are 100% cotton so don’t have that plasticky rustle.  When changing sheets, I sometimes forget they are on because they feel like the doona casing.

2 hours ago, *bucket* said:

The dust at home doesn't bother him too much while it is settled, it is when we move things around that he tends to flare. Our whole house is totally not allergy friendly, carpet almost everywhere, and ducted heating and cooling to blow things around.

When the kids first got diagnosed, I remember the allergist said not to stress out about the carpet or ducted in that house.  

The dust mites settle in the carpet and it’s actually better than hard floors that aren’t vacuumed daily.  She said to do the vacuuming when the kids aren’t around and give it an hour for the dust to settle again.  We had a vacuum with a HEPA filter which was even better (and for me with dustmite allergies who actually did the vacuuming!).

The ducted a/c was fine too so long as we regularly cleaned the filters.  It doesn’t blow hard enough to stir dust up.  Fans are worse.   

• Like 1

Hypnic Jerk

I’ll get the pillowcase and doona cover protectors, but with the mattress they have the Easy Care set or the mattress cover on its own.  Which do you use?