seayork2002

Food combinations (likes/dislikes)

seayork2002

to as to not take over another thread

there are foods I like separately but cannot eat together, what do you think goes well together or you hate?

(yes I may have asked in the past but in the mood for a fluffy thread again)

hmmph

Not a choc/orange fan. Love, love, love dark choc and raspberry. I do like the salty/sweet flavour combos, and I like fruit and meat, tangines and the like. 

• Like 2

Datrys

I don't like coconut in savoury food.  Love it in desserts, but for my taste, leave it out of curries!

• Like 1

YodaTheWrinkledOne

I don't like risoni. Reminds me of floating maggots. Which is weird because I have no problem with rice, which is a similar shape.

2 minutes ago, Datrys said:

I don't like coconut in savoury food.  Love it in desserts, but for my taste, leave it out of curries!

I love coconut cream in a curry! Not all curries, granted. But it's great for some curries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lucrezia Bauble

i love choc orange (dark choc - darker the better). salt and caramel is another one I love. chocolate and chilli too. Not a huge fan of chocolate and peppermint (I never eat those in a box of chocolate). Don’t like mango and ice cream - I would just take the mango. don’t like pineapple on pizza (or on a hamburger). hate honey soy chips - they taste vile and leave a horrible smell on your fingers - i hate most flavour combos on chips (crisps) - I just like plain smiths crisps. 

Chocolate Addict

fruit with meat, so apricot chicken, turkey and cranberry, lemon chicken etc... gross.

• Like 4

hmmph
14 minutes ago, Datrys said:

I like coconut in curries, but not in desserts. I really don't like lamingtons!

• Like 2

onetrick
4 minutes ago, Chocolate Addict said:

fruit with meat, so apricot chicken, turkey and cranberry, lemon chicken etc... gross.

I was going to say this- it's not a hatred, and I'll eat it to be polite, but I dont get it. 

• Like 1

Lucrezia Bauble

i don’t like sultanas - on their own or in anything - so I definitely don’t get sultanas in savoury (horrific memories of some revolting sausage Keens curry concoction that a relative used to make - truly awful). However I don’t mind some fruit/meat combos - tomato of course (like in a pasta sauce), and I like apple sauce with a roast pork, not a huge fan of cranberry sauce but i sometimes have it with turkey - i love lemon with most things - I totally get lemon chicken, lemon with slow cooked lamb, lemon with fish etc. 

• Like 5

Chocolate Addict

I was tossing up whether to include lemon cos it does go with some meats. :) Maybe not as a sauce (lemon chicken) but a squirt on kebab lamb or fish is fine. :)

born.a.girl

Please stop putting alcohol and coffee flavours in chocolates.  You're depriving me of my chocolate!

I'm another choc orange lover though, choc mint, too.

Also salted caramel.  Caramel on its own I find a bit sickly sweet, so with the salt added I can indulge.   It's why my favourite fudge is pistachio, because the kinda saltiness of the pistachio balances the sweet.

Fine with lemon, orange chicken.

Fine with coconut in anything.

• Like 4

LadyGreyTea

DH cannot stand fresh mint but adores mint chocolate.

I despise sultanas but for some reason adore them in Afghan style rice pilaf dishes.

DD loves sweet corn but cant stand popcorn.

DS hates fresh tomato but will eat them cooked.

• Like 1

DirtyStreetPie

I love chilli and chocolate, chilli and mango, chilli and anything!

I don't like dates and sultanas in savoury foods like tagines. 

Oh, and I've recently gone off carrots in warm/savoury food. I just suddenly hate their sweetness. Yuck. I'll still eat them in a salad, but if they touch the warm main course and become warm themselves, then I push them to the side. This is only a recent development. It's like I'm pregnant... but I'm sooo not!

Green Sage

I hate apricot chicken. And just fruit with meat in general. Other than a bit of lemon. Even sultanas in a savoury dish puts me off. I’ll eat it if I have to, but don’t like it. 

• Like 1

Lady Sybil Vimes

I had food poisoning once from Apricot chicken. Never again. Even the thought of it...

I like cranberries with turkey, though. I think because they're not as sweet. I also don't like coffee so anything coffee flavoured is lost on me.

Prancer is coming
1 hour ago, Chocolate Addict said:

Could not agree more.  And most importantly, pineapple does not belong on pizza!  I am happy eating pineapple on its own, but it does not go with pizza.

• Like 2

LadyGreyTea
4 minutes ago, Lady Sybil Vimes said:

I had food poisoning once from Apricot chicken. Never again. Even the thought of it...

I like cranberries with turkey, though. I think because they're not as sweet. I also don't like coffee so anything coffee flavoured is lost on me.

Im strange in that I dont like drinking coffee at all but for some strange reason I adore coffee flavoured sweets like gelato/desserts and Kopiko lollies

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Kreme

I love chocolate with mint. Love mint in most savoury dishes. But I hate mint jelly. Tastes like toothpaste yuck! I don’t like sweet things mixed with savoury, so definitely no sultanas in curry etc. And I hate potatoes cooked in stews, curries and soup. In fact I don’t really likes any vegetables in soup because they’re too sloppy. 

3babygirls

Savoury and sweet..

One of my colleagues eats rice cakes coated in chocolate. I literally want to throw them out the window every time I see them.. *shudder*
Mango chicken, apricot chicken, pinapple on pizza or burgers.. any meat and fruit combination also makes me wretch. 

wallofdodo

I cannot stand:
Mint and chocolate
orange and Chocolate
peanuts and chocolate with icecream (choc peanuts ok)

Anchovies and tomato 
chocolate and chips (crisps)

Meepy

Fruit and nuts do not belong in chocolate.  

• Like 5

~Jolly_F~

Coffee in any form and don’t put that sh*t in a chocolate cake, it ruins a perfectly good cake!! 

Also salted caramel... caramel is fine but you never get plain caramel flavoured stuff anymore, it’s all ruined with salt!! 

• Like 4

nom_de_plume

I'm another who hates sultanas. One of life's great mysteries is why anyone would take a perfectly good apple pie/danish/strudel/cake and lace it with the abomination that is sultanas. Yuck.

I also don't get fish and creamy, cheesy sauces. I'm not a huge fan of fish full stop, but the thought of tuna mornay or clam chowder makes me want to vomit.

• Like 1

Jane Jetson

For me it's more about adulterating a perfectly good plain taste with something else (that might be perfectly nice on its own or in combination with something else entirely).

Hazelnut or chocolate in coffee (puke!) or the nasty mocha chocolate nobody takes from the box. I love both coffee and chocolate and am happy to eat the latter while I drink the former. Just not in the same product.

The vile Sweetly Salted Popcorn from Lite n Easy. Popcorn should be sweet or salty. Not both. Even the kids wouldn't eat that stuff.

Yucky mayo on an otherwise perfectly fine chicken sandwich. Mayo's great on chips. But not on chicken.

Sultanas in any salad that includes grated carrot (my mother was a fool for this flavour combo - ugh). Sultanas are lovely on their own. Carrots are lovely on their own. They are very bad together.

Pineapple on pizza, salted caramel, any flavour of chip that's not original. Just let me eat the plain version thanks.

There's also a texture issue, which is why I hate tomatoes and pumpkins but love tomato or pumpkin soup, don't much like chickpeas but love hummus, etc. Most of that stuff is fine when you puree it (not you, peas).

Green Sage
20 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

I'm another who hates sultanas. One of life's great mysteries is why anyone would take a perfectly good apple pie/danish/strudel/cake and lace it with the abomination that is sultanas. Yuck.

I also don't get fish and creamy, cheesy sauces. I'm not a huge fan of fish full stop, but the thought of tuna mornay or clam chowder makes me want to vomit.

Yes! Perfectly good strudels, ruined by sultanas. And I love sultanas, just not in a pie/strudel etc.

i do love creamy cheese fish dishes. Creamy cheesy anything gets a tick from me actually, vegetables, meat, pasta, anything. Cream and cheese covered poo? I’ll give it a go 😂

• Like 3