Riotproof

Tween boys and hygiene

Riotproof

Sooo today Ds was really ripe. I sent him to have a shower. It literally never occurred to me that I needed to say “_and wash under your arms!” 

• Haha 5

Meepy

Just wait until you get the yell from the shower - smell my underarms please!

• Haha 3

~Jolly_F~

Might be time for some deodorant... then you add have your put deodorant on today.

Or your youngest (she was about 6) yells it out the car window to your high schooler at drop off - poor kid was mortified, I lost it laughing while trying to say wind the damn window up and don’t do that again!! 

Edited by ~Jolly_F~
  • Haha 8

Babetty

I have been known to say "and don't forget to use soap" when sending my tween boy off for a shower!

• Like 2

Riotproof

Oh we’ve been doing that a while, but he has this funny idea for that only year 5s have to do that. 
he did tell me there is a rule in his class once it gets past x degrees no jumpers are allowed, but it’s only for one person. 

he lad a bath at night and with no soap (I had no idea) and then it was too late so we said the morning but he apparently forgot that bit. 

rosie28

I’ve drilled the soap routine into DS since he was tiny, hoping I won’t have this issue. Boy smell is maybe my least favourite smell of all time 😬😬😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Riotproof
2 minutes ago, rosie28 said:

I’ve drilled the soap routine into DS since he was tiny, hoping I won’t have this issue. Boy smell is maybe my least favourite smell of all time 😬😬😬

Don’t brag. 

• Haha 1

rosie28
Just now, Riotproof said:

Don’t brag. 

I didn’t say it was working. He’s only 6, I’m still crossing my fingers 😂😂😂

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Paddlepop

Yep, pits and bits need to be washed with soap. Deodorant/anti-perspirant too. That should go on straight after a shower. I have a girl but she gets stinky too. She's been using deodorant for a few years now. 

A group of about 7 teenage boys walked past me at the shops last week. :sick:  OMG. The smell. I don't think any of them had deodorant on, and it had been a warm day. Not a hint of Lynx or any other hideous deodorant product. I feel sorry for their poor teachers when school goes back. 

• Like 4

Riotproof

Omg. I feel sorry for Ll the teachers living in a watt of farts. 

• Like 2

PocketIcikleflakes

Yeah I'm having to do the enforced shower, pits and bits wash, AND hair wash with DS who is 8 😬

Hands Up

DS2 is so lazy we have to prompt him to wash every bit. He is prone to little pimples so once he’s done whoever is supervising does another good scrub of his arms and face with a washer as his skin needs a loofah or the pimples come back. He’s five. 

DS1 who is six is much more conscientious but still needs a couple of reminders. 

God I can’t wait for the days when I can just send them off and not think about it....

Meepy

The stench in a classroom on a warm afternoon is unbearable.  I have scented candles, windows and doors open and still have to stick my head out the door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Kreme

I have a DH who does not smell even after exercise. DS is 12 and even when he comes home lathered in sweat after soccer training he still doesn’t smell. I still make him wash of course but he doesn’t wear deodorant yet. 

• Like 1

Riotproof

Kreme, that is impressive. Ds smells a lot like dh does. 

seayork2002

I know the pain, we tried non aluminium deodorant etc. Nope we have to go all out and the strongest stuff we can find, started when he was 12.5 now he is 13.

He doesnt play sport it seems you work up a sweat using an ipad apparently lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Kreme
5 minutes ago, Riotproof said:

Kreme, that is impressive. Ds smells a lot like dh does. 

I grew up with two older brothers and was often in the car when mum picked a few of them up from soccer training. I used to hang my head out the window LOL. I keep a close eye/nose on DS. When we have a cuddle he’ll say mum stop smelling me!

• Haha 4

Paddlepop

Meepy: Can you keep a few cans of deodorant in the classroom for the students to use? A "boy" one, a "girl" one and a neutral/fragrance free one? The students might start to use it and realise that they don't have to be stinky. My DD's primary school principal said that one of the biggest benefits of air conditioned classrooms is that the yr 5 and 6 teachers have less stinky rooms in summer.

Kreme: Some people don't smell of BO. My dad doesn't. He'll smell of sweat after a hot day but not BO, and has never used deodorant. It's due to a gene, so it's very possible that your DS might not get stinky. Sadly I didn't inherit it from my dad, and nor did my two older brothers. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/a-lucky-two-percent-of-people-have-a-gene-for-stink-free-armpits-2508106/

• Like 2

Redchick2

My from teens ‘you mean we have to use deodorant every day!?’ Oh yes you do. 

• Haha 4

FiveAus
5 hours ago, Paddlepop said:

Kreme: Some people don't smell of BO. My dad doesn't. He'll smell of sweat after a hot day but not BO, and has never used deodorant. It's due to a gene, so it's very possible that your DS might not get stinky. Sadly I didn't inherit it from my dad, and nor did my two older brothers. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/a-lucky-two-percent-of-people-have-a-gene-for-stink-free-armpits-2508106/

My husband is the same. Which is a pleasant change from my ex husband who was the opposite. Every single slightly smelly thing he ate stank through the pores of his skin, and if he drank beer, I couldn't be in the same room as him.

71Cath

I remember paying DS $1 per shower when he was about 12 because I was so desperate for him to shower.

Then he discovered what other fun things can be done in the shower and I didn't have to nag anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

Mae55

My DH doesn’t get very stinky from BO. My 12 year old though... ugh! And he needs to be told everytime to use soap and shampoo... that’s after I win the getting him to have a shower battle.  
My 11 year old loves to have a shower but doesn’t smell yet. 

anatomicalheart

We have had the "deodorant is not an acceptable substitute for a shower" conversation. More than once. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Monden

“Shower in a can” was the common descriptor for deodorant among the boys I knew in high school! Ew. 

Meanwhile, my husband doesn’t get BO, ever. He always smells wonderful. Hoping my boys inherited this gene!

seayork2002

As a mum I am a cross between the tv series Benidorm Sibohan Finnerans character and the mother of the bride in my big fat Greek wedding, ds has learnt a shower is simpler than dealing with me lol!