Datrys

Dinner party menu (fluffy)

Datrys

So, the scenario is that you're having a couple over for dinner, you don't know them well, and you want to be a bit fancy and to put on a really nice spread (there's a bit of professional obligation in the background).

Does this menu sound appealing?  

- Sauteed mushrooms with soft cheese on crostini

- Blackberry-glazed salmon with a spring vegatable pilaf

- Orange mousse in chocolate cups.

Paddlepop

No. Mushrooms are gross and so is fish. Might want to find out if they eat fish or not. 

Dessert sounds nice. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

~Jolly_F~

Mushrooms I would probably avoid personally, they are one of those foods you like or hate and won’t even eat out of polite obligation.. 

The rest sounds pretty good though. 

• Like 2

Riotproof

I would ask if any food aversions. The mushroom sounds good to me, I’d think the salmon odd, but still eat it and like it. 

• Like 2

Datrys

Really?  I'm surprised about the mushrooms.  I always thought my dad was weird for not liking them.  Ok, will rethink.

I think the salmon will be fine; I asked them what they don't eat, and they said "exotic meats, eg. kangaroo or crocodile."   I'm guessing they'd have told me if they don't eat fish (and if they don't eat fish, and don't tell me that, then it's their own silly fault...)

• Like 1

~Jolly_F~

Nah your dad is probably with the majority of not liking them 😂 

• Like 5

seayork2002

I love mushrooms and I love salmon (not the blackberry bit though) when we cook for peoople we keep it to beef/chicken whixh sounds boring but more chance people will like them than not.

So nothing that stands out too much if you dont know them

• Like 4

*bucket*

I'd love it!

But I agree with others, I know a lot of people who don't like mushrooms, so that is a risky choice.

Hope it goes well.

• Like 1

QuirkyMum

Personally I love both mushrooms and salmon but so many people technically eat salmon yet would never never order it if they had other options... so I wouldn’t serve salmon as the only main. Chicken is a safe option.

Mushrooms is yuck for many people unfortunately too.

Love the sound of your dessert.

ineedmorecoffee

Is anyone that rude that they wouldn’t eat a meal that was cooked for them because they didn’t necessarily love it? Unless there are allergies involved, I would think most people would eat a meal cooked for them out of politeness.

I prefer smoked salmon to cooked salmon but wouldn’t turn my nose up at it if it was served to me as a guest.

• Like 7

Riotproof
37 minutes ago, Datrys said:

Really?  I'm surprised about the mushrooms.  I always thought my dad was weird for not liking them.  Ok, will rethink.

I think the salmon will be fine; I asked them what they don't eat, and they said "exotic meats, eg. kangaroo or crocodile."   I'm guessing they'd have told me if they don't eat fish (and if they don't eat fish, and don't tell me that, then it's their own silly fault...)

I think you’re right. If they didn’t like mushrooms, capsicums etc they would have told you. 

• Like 1

born.a.girl
36 minutes ago, ~Jolly_F~ said:

The very first time I went to my (lovely) PIL for dinner they started with mushroom soup.  Fortunately it was vegetable and mushroom, not a gallon of slime, so I was able to get it down.

It became a standing joke with my PIL and when they found out they never served mushrooms again when I was coming to dinner.   The funny thing was during main course everyone started talking about foods they loathed, and I could hardly fess up then!

• Haha 2

~Jolly_F~
8 minutes ago, ineedmorecoffee said:

Is anyone that rude that they wouldn’t eat a meal that was cooked for them because they didn’t necessarily love it? Unless there are allergies involved, I would think most people would eat a meal cooked for them out of politeness.

I prefer smoked salmon to cooked salmon but wouldn’t turn my nose up at it if it was served to me as a guest.

I don’t think it’s rude to not eat something on your plate of you don’t like it. You don’t make a huge deal out of it, you just don’t eat it and thank the host! The host notices but doesn’t say anything about the uneaten portion, so that also aren’t rude and the evening ends nicely!! 

There is plenty of stuff I can’t bring myself to eat. Peas, if I tried I would vomit, nice addition to a dinner party that would be!  So say if the OPs pilaf had peas, I would pick them out!

Btw I love mushrooms, I just know lots and lots of people don’t, so would avoid them for people I didn’t know well! 

Edited by ~Jolly_F~
  • Like 2

Lucrezia Bauble

i love mushrooms so i would be completely down with that whole menu - love salmon too. if you know they like fish - keep the salmon - could you maybe (if people think mushrooms are controversial) swap the mushroom crostini for maybe a sweet potato ravioli (like - a posh deli purchased one, or home made ) with a burnt butter  and sage sauce? 

Edited by Lucrezia Bauble

Slapdasherie
47 minutes ago, ~Jolly_F~ said:

Really? Most people don’t like mushrooms?

I never knew that.

• Like 5

JRA

OMG - I had no idea so many people disliked salmon. In todays day and age it is everywhere on every menu

Mushrooms I know some didn't like, but also surprised about "dont serve mushrooms, too many people have an aversion"

• Like 3

~Jolly_F~
Just now, Slapdasherie said:

Really? Most people don’t like mushrooms?

I never knew that.

Yer when I worked at a mushroom farm, they did a presentation about the age ranges that purchased them and it was mostly the under 40s and only like 30% of the population who ate them or something. That could have changed obviously but it was always one of those pieces of useless info that stuck with me 😂

• Like 2

No girls here

The menu sounds delicious to me! Mushrooms and salmon are two of my favourite foods.

• Like 2

Datrys
1 minute ago, Lucrezia Bauble said:

could you maybe (if people think mushrooms are controversial) swap the mushroom crostini for maybe a sweet potato ravioli (like - a posh deli purchased one, or home made ) with a burnt bitter and sage sauce? 

That definitely has possibilities... I was sort of wondering about something egg-based but am now lacking inspiration!

Datrys
5 minutes ago, ~Jolly_F~ said:

Yer when I worked at a mushroom farm, they did a presentation about the age ranges that purchased them and it was mostly the under 40s and only like 30% of the population who ate them or something. That could have changed obviously but it was always one of those pieces of useless info that stuck with me 😂

I'm really surprised.  I know mushrooms don't really feature in the cuisines of some cultures (maybe that's a climate thing?), but I'd have thought they were pretty mainstream in Australia.  

I mean, come on, people, a good mushroom masala is to die for!

• Like 3

JRA
2 minutes ago, Datrys said:

I'm really surprised.  I know mushrooms don't really feature in the cuisines of some cultures (maybe that's a climate thing?), but I'd have thought they were pretty mainstream in Australia.  

Mushrooms rock.  Can't get enough of them in this house

• Like 7

seayork2002

I used to help out at motel many many years ago and the next morning we had a choice of breakfast, i still dream about the mushroom on toast! Wonderful!

• Like 1

Tinky Winky Woo

That menu could be very polarising. 

I don't eat mushrooms and I do have some allergies that prevent me from eating as well.

Even if I don't know dinner guests well I will do some research.  

• Like 1

blimkybill

Your menu sounds delicious to me. I had no idea only 30% of people like mushrooms. I couldn’t live without them.

Asparagus is in season now and would make a lovely entree. Unless people don’t like that too.

i don’t think salmon is controversial. 

• Like 2

~Jolly_F~
14 minutes ago, Datrys said:

Can’t say I have never eaten that 😂 But mushrooms are a regular here.

I admit half of the stuff I read in the dinner thread on here, I think wtf is that 😂 Pilaf may have been one of those moments, I googled - rice with veg! I am often surprised by what people eat as their regular menus. 

I think often we eat what we like and think those foods are well liked by most people and often they aren’t, so it surprises us! 

Edited by ~Jolly_F~
  • Like 1