eponee

Painting a wall with a picture rail

eponee

What colour do I paint the picture rail - 

1- the same as the skirting boards and architraves

2- the same colour as the wall

3- the same colour as the area directly above the picture rail and ceiling, which will be painted the same colour

seayork2002

I think I want to say white, I better add I have not creative tastes at all but my dad painted his whole loungeroom the same colour floor to ceiling and it does not sit right with me

• Like 1

Sentient Puddle

We have always painted the picture rail the same as the skirts. The paint above the picture rail we do always lighter than below as well. 

• Like 4

born.a.girl

Same as the skirting boards and architraves, here. Mind you, it's a cal bung plate rail here, so a bit different from a picture rail.

• Like 2

Green Sage

Is it a small room? The room may feel larger if they’re the same colour as the wall. Ours are the same colour as the wall, makes them blend in, which is good, because it’s a small room.

if you want to make a feature of them, then I’d say same as architraves. But it may box the room in a bit. 

• Like 1

Green Sage

Also, may depend on the height of the rail. Ours are fairly low, but I’ve seen some that are almost at roof height. 

• Like 1

22Fruitmincepies

We have it painted white (same colour as skirting boards) in one room, and the same colour as the walls in others. I think I prefer it white. But it would probably depend on the the wall colour - a very dark wall might make white stand out too much. 

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

My parents had  this in their Californian bungalow with high ceilings. All the trim is solid wood, so picture rail, skirting boards etc were are stained wood. The walls are all the same ( wallpapered or painted). In this case it is a decorative feature ( two rooms had rails large enough for plates and vases to be displayed on), so are emphasized. In a more modern situation I suspect a picture rail should be more discreet so should be the wall colour.

• Like 1

TinyGiraffe

We recently repainted and while the painter advised they are typically the same colour as the cornice & ceiling, ours are the same colour as all the trim work as I didn't like the stark white rail where it connected to the cream coloured door frame. 

1600838928744137146625.jpg

• Like 5

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Depends on the look you are going for and how "authentic" you want to be for a period home. 

Agree with a PP that if it's a small room or a low rail, painting it the same colour as the wall (above and below) is probably be the best approach so as not to draw attention to the rail.

• Like 1

Sentient Puddle

If you have a small room painting the wall above the picture rail a shade lighter than the lower wall draws your eye upwards and makes a room look bigger.

• Like 2

smilinggirl

My husband who paints houses for a living said option 2 but it depends on whether you are painting for that era. But then he said there is no set rule and whatever is the clients preference

• Like 1

eponee
14 minutes ago, Sentient Puddle said:

If you have a small room painting the wall above the picture rail a shade lighter than the lower wall draws your eye upwards and makes a room look bigger.

It's quite a large room and gets a ton of good natural light despite being south facing.  The walls are a not too pale grey with white skirting boards and architraves, and charcoal carpet.  The walls are 13 feet high

• Like 1

YodaTheWrinkledOne

I would say option 1 is the "traditional" approach (contrasting with wall colour) while option 2 is a more modern look. Option 3 sounds like it is a compromise between both 1 & 2, LOL!

• Like 1

blimkybill

I would do the same colour as skirting boards and trim, because I would want to draw attention to the rail.

• Like 1

22Fruitmincepies
3 hours ago, eponee said:

It's quite a large room and gets a ton of good natural light despite being south facing.  The walls are a not too pale grey with white skirting boards and architraves, and charcoal carpet.  The walls are 13 feet high

Wow they are high ceilings! Ours are high but yours are higher. 

• Like 1

eponee
2 hours ago, 22Fruitmincepies said:

Wow they are high ceilings! Ours are high but yours are higher. 

I just measured the walls - 11 feet.

22Fruitmincepies
1 hour ago, eponee said:

Ok ours are about 12 feet. I love high ceilings! 

• Like 1

Lesley225

My walls and ceiling are in panels with similar things to picture rails intersecting so it's all painted the same

• Like 1

YodaTheWrinkledOne
22 hours ago, eponee said:

21 hours ago, 22Fruitmincepies said:

Ok ours are about 12 feet. I love high ceilings! 

Oh wow, they are both pretty tall. We have 2.8m walls (just over 9 feet) for most rooms and I thought that was plenty tall enough. Main living area is double height though, so that gives a huge sense of space to the house. 

• Like 1

Bam1

A paint brush would be better. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The3Monkeys

We are in the process of painting our house. We are going with vivid white for skirts/arcs/trim and on the picture rails. Them a very light gray on walls (above and below)

• Like 1