Wilo1702

What should my 4 year old know?

Kreme

Toileting and lunch box management. That’s it I’d say. 

I still remember my DD’s preschool teacher recounting an interaction DD had with one of her peers who was attending literacy classes from age 3. The other little girl proudly told DD “I know that word, it’s one of my sight words. It says ‘cat’”

DD responded: “I know it says cat because there’s a picture of a cat right next to it!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

GingerbreadWoman
23 hours ago, MadMarchMasterchef said:

Im in SA,  I think state might be relevant, but basically they just need to be toilet trained and able to get their lunch and drink out of their bag.  Kindy is to teach them things to get ready for school like taking turns, working in a group etc.  There is no academic standard expected its just getting them ready for academics at school. 

I am in SA too, and my DD is at kindy this year. The biggest request at the beginning of the year was that we send food the children could eat independently, so containers they could open themselves, and fruit they could peel, or if it needed to be peeled and cut up, for the parents to do that at home. Oh, and for the parents to please please please label all the hats, jumpers, drink bottles, etc. 

My DDs kindy has been amazing at teaching the children lots of the skills they will need for school, encouraging their independence and being responsible for their belongings. They have been working on name recognition this term, so there was no expectation of knowing that before they started. 

• Like 3

Wilo1702

Thank you so much for taking the time to write these responses!! Everyone has actually given me a lot of insight and helped me a lot and I definitely feel a lot more comfortable. 

I also just want to clarify that mentioning the 'prestigious' school was purely in reference to my own stress about the expectations (especially as I did not grow up with private early schooling). 

Thank you all again!

• Like 3