amdirel

Does anyone else have a year 12 kid? 

Are you doing anything special for them to celebrate? Graduation is this Friday but we are not allowed to attend. 😥 The year advisors have arranged for families to submit a message to their child which they will attach to a flower and hand out at the graduation. But that's it. So I'm wondering if I should be arranging anything else, like a dinner out or something to celebrate. DS1 isn't into fuss or massive celebrations so it's kind of hard to be guided by him.

Formal has been canceled too. I'm not sure if he and his friends are going to organise something else or not.

He's also 18 in November. Not sure what to do there either! There's been no other 18th parties that I know of.

Such a non-eventful end to 13 years of schooling! Bloody covid. 😥

• Sad 2

dadwasathome

We've planned to get his hair trimmed on Friday afternoon....I expect we'll give him his own choice for dinner Friday night.

The NSW school has already decided to have a graduation next term, post exams IIRC. For many of the kids the Instrumental Music Program Graduation mid-year would have been as much of a thing, but that went into the ether of course.

The kids have arranged their own post-exam gathering, which was postponed months ago but the new date is now looking quite OK. It will be interersting to see what actual restrictions apply at the time, as the announcements a couple of weeks ago regarding formals did seem to apply to school organised - hopefully they can apply the same.

Like yurs PP, DS17 isn't much into fuss about hiself, so I'm sure will be guided. He'd happily be part of anything organised. He hadn't even thought about a post-exam trip away - not sure whether it's because he's never earned money, doesn't care, or doesn't think it worthwhile given he's not 18 until well into next year.

• Like 1

Dusty

Metro Melb here.

My DD is 18 in November too, she desperately wants to get her license on her birthday but she has an exam on that day so that’s not happening,  I have no clue how we are going to celebrate her birthday. 

Yr12 formal has been cancelled, the school has set a date for the valedictory but it’s to be confirmed on how or if it’s happening. 

I always try and keep posts my posts friendly and lighthearted but this just sucks for our kids.

@amdirel I’m really sorry to hear you won’t be able to attend graduation.

JRA

Melbourne here. Graduation ceremony. What's that?  Formal. What's that? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

~3 gorgeous girls~

We're in Adelaide so are lucky to have less restrictions that other states.  The formal did get cancelled (was supposed to be in May at the height of our restrictions) but at this stage, it looks like graduation will still go ahead.  Guest numbers have been restricted to 4 per student.  Also the local schoolies festival finally announced it's cancellation last week so DD is trying to plan something else just with her friends.  DD's 18th is not until March next year, so hopefully things will be a bit more normal by then!  I feel so sorry for all these kids who are missing out on celebrating these milestone occasions.  

• Like 1

Julie3Girls

Can you ask if the school is going to take photos or anything during the graduation, that parents can access?  I think the no attendance by parents is something hitting the parents harder than the kids ... I feel so much for everyone not being allowed to watch their kids graduate 😔

Mine is year 11, (Regional NSW) but I know what they are doing for yr12. Graduation is Friday, it is going to be streamed, and recorded. Families can watch the stream, and the video is available to purchase in about a week, after editing (outside company). No families in attendance, and unsure who they are letting attend from the school - might be just yr11 and siblings, others things are saying no other students. *just been confirmed that year 11 and siblings at the school will be allowed to attend the graduation. Most of the teachers will also be attendance, with   7-10 classes combined (last day of term so numbers will be down) and use of casual teachers for the first two classes.

School formal is going ahead after exams.  Yr12 students and teachers only, no partners from outside of the year group. 

I did have a daughter in year12 last year, we had planned on doing a special lunch or dinner on graduation day. Didn’t work out that as we ended up at her great grandfathers funeral instead. 

So I’d probably go with a family dinner - either out or at home depending on your local situation. His choice of food/place. 
18th ... if he’s a no fuss kind of kid, maybe just having a few close friends over, after the exams.

Edited by Julie3Girls

Julie3Girls
On 22/09/2020 at 11:51 AM, amdirel said:

Does anyone else have a year 12 kid? 

Are you doing anything special for them to celebrate? Graduation is this Friday but we are not allowed to attend. 😥 The year advisors have arranged for families to submit a message to their child which they will attach to a flower and hand out at the graduation. But that's it. So I'm wondering if I should be arranging anything else, like a dinner out or something to celebrate. DS1 isn't into fuss or massive celebrations so it's kind of hard to be guided by him.

Formal has been canceled too. I'm not sure if he and his friends are going to organise something else or not.

He's also 18 in November. Not sure what to do there either! There's been no other 18th parties that I know of.

Such a non-eventful end to 13 years of schooling! Bloody covid. 😥

Happy graduation day to your son!!  Hope it is a special day for him!

• Like 1

charmalee

My Year 12 daughter graduated on Monday. It was live streamed and we watched from home. She was home by 11am so we took her out for a nice lunch to celebrate. We are in regional NSW.

School formal will now happen after HSC with only year 12 Students from her School and Teachers allowed.

I am so proud of how she had handled all the changes this year. It has been a roller coaster for us all.

• Like 2

amdirel
3 hours ago, Julie3Girls said:

Happy graduation day to your son!!  Hope it is a special day for him!

Ohhh thank you!! I hope so too.

I'm literally just a bit up the road from school, so it's really disappointing that he could be walking across the stage right now, and I'm just sitting here at home in my pj's. 😣 

I hope he's as proud of himself as I am of him. He's such a good kid. 

• Like 4

TND

We are in Metro Melbourne so we are still in full lockdown.   

Yr 12 Grad is happening on Dec 3rd.  It will be an online event prerecorded event.   Kids last day is a Oct 30.   Apparently they will be taking photos and doing grad ceremony in small groups on that day and recording.   Our school has over 450 year 12s so they have to even do that in small groups.  

Luckily our formal was in February so managed to get that in.   He turned 18 in July and got an exemption to get his license. No 18ths since Feb either.    They have missed out on so much.  

• Like 1

Julie3Girls

Just saw the Facebook posts from our school. While definitely disappointing for the parents not to be there, the school did an excellent job. All the usual awards and performances.  Lots of happy photos of the kids with friends and teachers, having cake after the ceremony. Apparently individual photos were taken and will be sent out to parents, and as well as a video being available next week. 
And since they had a set end time with parents waiting to pick up, yr11 and teachers did a clap out down the path to the front gate.  Lots of smiling, happy kids walking out those gates. 
So glad the kids still got to have something. 

• Like 4

mintpatty

We had a live streamed graduation yesterday (Sydney) which I loved. We invited the grandparents over and watched it on the comfort of the lounge, on TV, with morning tea. I sent the YouTube link to friends and relatives to watch. Usually there is a 2 guest minimum so everyone but us misses out.  It’s was also recorded so I’ve relived DDs award glory at least 20 times.

i plan on watching back with DD this afternoon.

Edited by mintpatty
  • Like 3

Literary Lemur

Are any schools in Vic doing formals? Are they waiting until after exams?

JRA
1 hour ago, Literary Lemur said:

There has been not talk from school of ds

kshy
3 hours ago, Literary Lemur said:

Val dinner looks like it’s being moved to feb if at all :(

• Like 1

Arthur or Martha
Posted (edited)

DD's school is having a Graduation dinner out doors. Only parents are ever asked to go so no difference there, but outdoors gets around covid restrictions.

Speech night is separate but I have no idea what is planned for that.

They did have a formal but no dancing and no parents.

Edited by Arthur or Martha

JRA

Vic here. DS's school speech night is virtual on the 20th - the day the IB kids finish.

dadwasathome

DS17s school had an assembly on last day of term 3 (apparently they illegally sang as a group too). The school Is having a post exam presentation, and planning on a normal speech day next Feb.

kshy

Haven’t heard anything here yet - but just had a new principal start today so hopefully we might here something soo 

JRA
5 hours ago, dadwasathome said:

DS17s school had an assembly on last day of term 3 (apparently they illegally sang as a group too). The school Is having a post exam presentation, and planning on a normal speech day next Feb.

This is obviously not Vic. The kids in states other than Vic have been able to do so much, they have not lost much at all

Julie3Girls
Posted (edited)

Xx

Edited by Julie3Girls