Riotproof

What makes a good pasta salad?

Riotproof

I should admit, I am no fan of them, but I’m wondering if dd might like them and have them as school lunch. I vaguely considered buying a small packet of the readymade ones, but then I thought I’d be stuck with the sweet mayo option if she liked it. 

literally nobody

hmm i usually mix an even mix of whole egg mayo and Kewpie (japanese mayo). it’s quite a nice taste. 

Riotproof

Do you add anything else? 

CCABW

Tuna, sweet corn, mayo and pasta

i reckon chicken and pesto with cherry tomatoes would be really great too.

Edited by CCABW
  • Like 2

JRA

The most popular, especially with kids, we have had is: chopped semi dried tomato, chopped olives and fetta.

• Like 4

MsLaurie

* some sort of creamy dressing or a soft feta or similar that can give creamy texture 

* pasta that’s reasonably small, but solid- small penne or spirals or orrichette. Not risoni or macaroni 

* something slightly sharp/sweet like cherry tomatoes or sweetcorn

* something slightly salty like olives or bacon.

• Like 4

Riotproof
15 minutes ago, caitiri said:

Does she like filled pasta,  went to a Christmas a couple of years ago where someone had made a tortellini pasta salad that was nice,  it wasn’t really creamy either.  More like this https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a47091/tuscan-tortellini-salad-recipe/

She doesn’t unfortunately. That does look good. 

caitiri

Yeah my kids won’t eat it either,  so I’ve not made it because then I will eat the whole thing

• Haha 2

MadMarchMasterchef

Apart from sauce I add parsley, finely chopped red onion and capsicum, or as mentioned cherry tomato,  maybe capers, things like that. 

As an alternative to a cream tasting sauce pesto pasta salads are yummy too. 

• Like 2

Riotproof
18 minutes ago, caitiri said:

Yeah my kids won’t eat it either,  so I’ve not made it because then I will eat the whole thing

I have hated it forever. The only one I vaguely like is eggplant, cherry tomato, basil one bit no one else likes it. 

22Fruitmincepies

My favourite is one with marinated cherry tomatoes and asparagus with a vinaigrette dressing. Not sure your DD would like it. 

• Like 3

CrankyM

I can't stand mayo based ones. I just can't. (I don't like mayo really so only tolerate a small amount. everyone always seems to go overboard on it). 

You can use other things like feta, or even a "dry" one which doesn't use sauce. 

My mum used to make an amazing one that was pasta, small pieces of blanched brocali, capsicum, olives, sweet corn kernals and a few black beans. All tossed with some feta, fresh gives and occasionally some red capsicum and basil pesto

• Like 6

Froggilicious

Nagi has a nice one, boccinchini, olives, basil, cherry tomatoes, salami, red capsicum with an Italian dressing. 

• Like 2

nom_de_plume

Bacon. Bacon makes everything good, but especially pasta salad.

Aside from that I like a honey mustard dressing on mine. Something with more zing than mayo.

• Like 7

Riotproof

She does love mustard, that’s a good idea, thanks. 

Jenflea

DD loves taking the tiny single serve pots of Woolies pasta salad to school.  At first I peeled a tiny bit of the foil lid(now plastic I think) but at 10 she can do it herself now. 

I give her one of those a little plastic forks(I reuse them) from ready made salads or takeaways and some cooked chicken or a twiggy stick. Whack it all in her lunchbox and then in her cool bag and she's happy as larry.  You could decant it into a Sistema container with the screw top lid too which would cut down on mess from the dressing if it's not all eaten. 

Otherwise if I'm making a home one, I do pasta, cut up ham, tiny cubes of cheese with a dressing of mayo and french dressing mixed together. Sometimes with parsley and chives snipped in, or some grated carrot. 

• Like 1

rosie28

Small penne, pesto, chopped cherry tomatoes and goats cheese/feta- 4yo and 6yo both demolish it. Can be eaten hot, warm or cold. I often make a big batch and we have it for dinner and then the kids have lunch the next day. 

• Like 2

cardamom

My favourite is penne with rocket pesto, with the preferred cheese/veg stirred through (I like feta, cherry tomatoes, torn baby spinach and lightly steamed green beans).

A catering business I worked at many eons ago used a vinaigrette type dressing - olive oil, balsamic vinegar and grain mustard - with bowties, bocconcini, rocket, sundried tomatoes, olives, etc.

I'm not a fan of the creamy varieties.

• Like 3

Dianalynch

My dd doesn’t like creamy varieties, but does like pasta with cherry tomatoes, bits of ham, some grated cheese or Parmesan,  corn, etc and a bit of olive oil to stop the pasta sticking together. She likes pesto salads as well, but said they’re bit strong smelling for school lunches. 😂 

• Like 1

got my tinsel on

This is the only pasta salad I make now: 

375g pasta of choice

2tbsp red wine vinegar, 2 tbsp olive oil,  1/2 tsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard.

pitted kalamata olives, cherry tomatoes haved/semi dried tomatoes and whatever else I have on hand, eg roasted capsicum, basil (torn into small pieces).

At it's best served warm but good any temp.

• Like 4

Let-it-go

I’m kind of repulsed by the thought of pasta salad with mayo, I can’t even think if I’ve ever had that.  Potato salad or coleslaw yes, but not pasta salad.  The only pasta salad I ever make is with pesto.  I use that little rissoni pasta.  Feta for the salty bite, cherry tomatoes and cubed cucumber stirred through.  I’m sure Pooks many years ago supplied the recipe!  

Riotproof

appreciate all the ideas, thank you. 

Mayo seems to be the one available at deli counters and etc, so I figured it was the default. 

I have made some headway, I happened to be having some tortellini for lunch, so I saved some unsauced, and offered it to her cold this afternoon. She quite liked it. So, I’m thinking of going quite basic to see what she thinks. 

I did see this https://www.recipetineats.com/macaroni-salad/ and thought the yoghurt was interesting. 

Bethlehem Babe

I am another one who hates the mayo. 

My mum has a pasta dish which is amazing cold. Sausages, sliced up. Tomato, onion, cooked with parsley and green capsicum. Add grated Parmesan cheese. And a good dollop of Greek yogurt.