YodaTheWrinkledOne

How to find a reputable breeder

nom_de_plume
22 hours ago, NannyPlumPudding said:

I'm looking for a dog also OP. These are the breeds I have settled on - I say breeds as I have decided to go to a dog show when I can and actually see the dogs and chat to the breeders. I'm in WA  and there is a massive stoppage of puppies being bred (and can't get any from interstate) so it really is a waiting game! We are looking at buying a house in the next 6 months so we really don't mind waiting for like 12 months (plus the kids will be old enough to take more responsibility)

Havanese - these are my top pick but I have never met one! I even follow Havanese Facebook pages.

Poodle - these are low down but I met a really sweet one at the beach (named ziggy) and he(she?) Was the sweetest little  thing. 

sh*t Zu - a friend recommended me this breed. She has owned 2.  I didn't include them previously as all sh*tzus I had met previously were...well..sh*t! They either humped me, bit me, or chased me.

Cocker spaniel - these are new to the pool as well but I grew up with one who lived next door and he was an absolute legend.i have forgotten about them until someone on Instagram got one.

Bichon Frise - a friend got one for a companion for her ASD son (same reason as why I'm looking) and she is absolutely beautiful. So happy! 

So yeah, that's where I am at at the moment! So many choices and I'm not taking it too seriously as I much prefer to have a house before the puppy and of course the dog show 😉 

We lost our dog to cancer several years ago now and haven't had another since because the kids were too young.

I have a family member who is a breeder and we are now waiting for the next litter of Cocker Spaniels (probably next year, pending the Covid situation). The wait will be so worth it and I trust my family member to pick the best pup for our family. 

The cat is probably going to hate us.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

FiveAus
11 hours ago, nom_de_plume said:

We lost our dog to cancer several years ago now and haven't had another since because the kids were too young.

I have a family member who is a breeder and we are now waiting for the next litter of Cocker Spaniels (probably next year, pending the Covid situation). The wait will be so worth it and I trust my family member to pick the best pup for our family. 

The cat is probably going to hate us.

My 26yo daughter moved back home a couple of months ago, with her cat. She couldn't find anywhere to share with the cat, so I was the next best option. The cat had never been around dogs before and we have six. Not small dogs either. However within a week, he was absolutely fine with them.  Our old Burmese cat....hahaha not so much.  Lots of swearing in Burmese for a few weeks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

nom_de_plume
39 minutes ago, FiveAus said:

My 26yo daughter moved back home a couple of months ago, with her cat. She couldn't find anywhere to share with the cat, so I was the next best option. The cat had never been around dogs before and we have six. Not small dogs either. However within a week, he was absolutely fine with them.  Our old Burmese cat....hahaha not so much.  Lots of swearing in Burmese for a few weeks.

There was about a 6 month overlap where we had our cat and the old dog and they got along fine.

We've had Mum's dog here a couple of times while she's been away. The cat just beats the poor dog up but he's a bit of a wuss.

**Manning**

So I  responded to a breeders ad on dogzonline re: new litter of puppies.

It was last night, so sent her an email expressing interest and providing a lot of details about us, etc.

The breeder is in Sydney - I'm in Melbourne.  

In my initial email I asked if she sells to interstate buyers.  She replied advising how much the puppies were - the price is right and not inflated as some other breeders have done at the moment .  So would be happy to pay the price.  To secure a puppy will be $500 deposit.

She didn't answer my question re: selling to interstate buyers and transportation, so I called her.  She didn't answer firstly but called back a few minutes later.

Please don't judge me when I say this as I mean no disrespect.  She spoke English but was obvious English is her second language.  I only say this as there were times during our conversation, she didn't understand what I was trying to ask. 

She provided further information over the phone:

• There have two litters - ages are 3 weeks old and 4 weeks old 
  • Dogzonline shows they own a stud dog which they 'hire' out.   Been a member of dogzonline since 2012 and provides NSW Dog membership number to verify.
  • She doesn't do face time.  Has Vipe (??) and What's App.  I asked if we could face time to see the pups but she sounded confused about it.  I think she thought this was an app as she then mentioned she has vipe and what's app.  I didn't push it as I had other questions.  I would push for this if I took the enquiry further.

In terms of selling to interstate buyers, she was vague to start with.  Then said she was happy to sell to interstate buyers  but buyers need to organise transportation.  Is this normal?  

Do you think she is legit? 

I think I'll go with my gut here and pass on this one.  Unless anyone here can give me reassurance or what else I can do verify she's legit.

I am part of a Puppy Scam facebook page which is great and really opened my eyes up to scammers, but on the other hand probably made me paranoid too! 

Would love your thoughts on this.  Thanks!

SummerStar
Posted (edited)

Edited by SummerStar
  • Like 1

**Manning**
7 minutes ago, SummerStar said:

Every breeder I have dealt with that I know ships interstate organises the transport and the buyers pay. I have bought and sold other animals interstate and the seller has always organised the transport and passed the cost onto the buyer when buyer makes payment. So I'd pass if someone was telling me to organise it. The seller needs to do it so it's under their name and they have the paperwork, flight time etc... 

Dogzonline, they're usually legit because they have to be registered to join and post for sale ads, but it doesn't sound like the breeder has sent animals before so I'd steer clear. 

That's what my gut is telling me.  

thanks for your reply. 

YodaTheWrinkledOne
27 minutes ago, **Manning** said:
  • She doesn't do face time.  Has Vipe (??) and What's App.  I asked if we could face time to see the pups but she sounded confused about it.  I think she thought this was an app as she then mentioned she has vipe and what's app.  I didn't push it as I had other questions.  I would push for this if I took the enquiry further.

These are common messaging apps, particularly for people who don't use apple products (iphone, ipads, macs, etc). I have a number of friends use Viber (commonly shortened to Vibe) - they all have family overseas and this is one of the most common platforms they use to video-call family/friends from their birth country etc. Some people prefer WhatsApp because it is encrypted. I know people who refuse to use FaceTime, fullstop.

So her refusal to do FaceTime is not necessarily an indicator of a dodgy breeder, she just doesn't use FaceTime. There are plenty of other messaging platforms that work the same. 

• Like 2

**Manning**
29 minutes ago, YodaTheWrinkledOne said:

These are common messaging apps, particularly for people who don't use apple products (iphone, ipads, macs, etc). I have a number of friends use Viber (commonly shortened to Vibe) - they all have family overseas and this is one of the most common platforms they use to video-call family/friends from their birth country etc. Some people prefer WhatsApp because it is encrypted. I know people who refuse to use FaceTime, fullstop.

So her refusal to do FaceTime is not necessarily an indicator of a dodgy breeder, she just doesn't use FaceTime. There are plenty of other messaging platforms that work the same. 

Thanks for that information.  I don't have Viber so don't know what it is.  I have What's App. 

MooGuru

:ninja: well now I know what viber is I feel bad for assuming it related to an app that controls sex toys. This completely explains why my friend looked at me so weirdly when I got the giggles when she told me her and her partner were using viber to stay connected whilst he worked abroad:rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

YodaTheWrinkledOne
28 minutes ago, MooGuru said:

:ninja: well now I know what viber is I feel bad for assuming it related to an app that controls sex toys. This completely explains why my friend looked at me so weirdly when I got the giggles when she told me her and her partner were using viber to stay connected whilst he worked abroad:rofl:

I just snorted my drink up my nose! :rofl: :rofl:

• Haha 1

born.a.girl
On 21/09/2020 at 8:09 PM, PuddingPlease said:

I don't have a dog and I'm not looking for one but I found myself looking at shelters online a few months ago and I was shocked to discover that nearly all the available dogs were some sort of staffy x. I assume people purchase them and have absolutely no idea how much exercise and training they need to make good pets, it broke my heart a bit because all the staffies I have know have been beautiful but there were dozens of them and virtually no other dogs.   

Sadly, it's been like that for years.   Neighbours had a bigger dog that they surrendered - sadly said he'd become impossible. No wonder, big breed with no exercise.  Then they got two little yappy things that seem to have survived the test, but still never get walked.

I was prepared to give it six, eight months at a shelter (it took us that long the previous time, in the 90s, then give up and make inquires about a Wheaton Terrier. (There are fortunately two at my local offlead at the same time as me so I can indulge there.  One even ran off from its owner to join me crossing the road. I told the bloke it was a close call whether to grab him and run! Jokingly of course.)

I have a shoulder issue that means I couldn't manage a seriously heavy dog, especially one that needed serious training.  I had all of the rescue service websites on refresh, and called the moment a likely one appeared on the Lost Dogs' Home website.  They certainly gave us a thorough questioning as to our background etc. and that was eight years ago.

Next time I won't bother (at our age it's assuming we outlive the dog), I'll just start years ahead with the breed.  Adopting a small, easygoing dog from a shelter is competitive. The larger, untrained, ignored, unexercised 12 - 24 months big crossbreeds that take a really special person to adopt them.  I notice one at the RSPCA today specifically says that you must have had experience with the breed, no other pets, no kids, and home most of the time.

• Sad 1

FiveAus
16 hours ago, **Manning** said:

So I  responded to a breeders ad on dogzonline re: new litter of puppies.

It was last night, so sent her an email expressing interest and providing a lot of details about us, etc.

The breeder is in Sydney - I'm in Melbourne.  

In my initial email I asked if she sells to interstate buyers.  She replied advising how much the puppies were - the price is right and not inflated as some other breeders have done at the moment .  So would be happy to pay the price.  To secure a puppy will be $500 deposit.

She didn't answer my question re: selling to interstate buyers and transportation, so I called her.  She didn't answer firstly but called back a few minutes later.

Please don't judge me when I say this as I mean no disrespect.  She spoke English but was obvious English is her second language.  I only say this as there were times during our conversation, she didn't understand what I was trying to ask. 

She provided further information over the phone:

• There have two litters - ages are 3 weeks old and 4 weeks old 
  • Dogzonline shows they own a stud dog which they 'hire' out.   Been a member of dogzonline since 2012 and provides NSW Dog membership number to verify.

In terms of selling to interstate buyers, she was vague to start with.  Then said she was happy to sell to interstate buyers  but buyers need to organise transportation.  Is this normal?  

Do you think she is legit? 

I think I'll go with my gut here and pass on this one.  Unless anyone here can give me reassurance or what else I can do verify she's legit.

I am part of a Puppy Scam facebook page which is great and really opened my eyes up to scammers, but on the other hand probably made me paranoid too! 

Would love your thoughts on this.  Thanks!

If she's on Dogzonline, she's a registered breeder with Dogs NSW. You can't be on there without providing your membership number and they check against the database to make sure it's valid. 
Her dog isn't "hired out", he's standing at stud. It allows other breeders to use him over their b**ches. I have a boy standing at stud as well, he's sired 10 litters.
Not everyone is comfortable with technology or familiar with the various video conferencing products.

It's perfectly normal for a breeder to expect the buyer to organise the transport of a puppy. There are various pet transport companies, you would contact a few of them for a quote, get her address and they will quote from pickup at her place to the Melbourne airport where you would collect the puppy. At the moment, pet transport companies are the only way to move a pet interstate. It saves her a lot of work, and if she's got two litters of puppies she probably has very little time for this sort of thing.
I'm sending a puppy to NZ soon and the buyer is organising and paying for his transport from her end. Once she's got it sorted, I'll deal with them direct to make sure I know where he needs to be and what I need to do to get him ready (overseas is a lot more complicated than interstate).

It does not sound like a scam to me, it just sounds like she's busy, and probably tired.

Send me a PM with her name and kennel prefix and I'll check for you. I know heaps of breeders in NSW and everyone there knows everyone else.

**Manning**
2 hours ago, FiveAus said:

If she's on Dogzonline, she's a registered breeder with Dogs NSW. You can't be on there without providing your membership number and they check against the database to make sure it's valid. 
Her dog isn't "hired out", he's standing at stud. It allows other breeders to use him over their b**ches. I have a boy standing at stud as well, he's sired 10 litters.
Not everyone is comfortable with technology or familiar with the various video conferencing products.

It's perfectly normal for a breeder to expect the buyer to organise the transport of a puppy. There are various pet transport companies, you would contact a few of them for a quote, get her address and they will quote from pickup at her place to the Melbourne airport where you would collect the puppy. At the moment, pet transport companies are the only way to move a pet interstate. It saves her a lot of work, and if she's got two litters of puppies she probably has very little time for this sort of thing.
I'm sending a puppy to NZ soon and the buyer is organising and paying for his transport from her end. Once she's got it sorted, I'll deal with them direct to make sure I know where he needs to be and what I need to do to get him ready (overseas is a lot more complicated than interstate).

It does not sound like a scam to me, it just sounds like she's busy, and probably tired.

Send me a PM with her name and kennel prefix and I'll check for you. I know heaps of breeders in NSW and everyone there knows everyone else.

Thanks for your reply FiveAus. I really appreciate the information.

Apologies for my 'Hired out' comment - I didn't mean to offend.  It's my layman's term and not knowing the correct terminology.   

Thanks for the information regarding transportation.  I was talking to a friend last night and she said she had to organise the transportation herself for her puppy.  

If you don't mind, I will PM you with her details.  thanks :) 

SummerStar
Posted (edited)

Edited by SummerStar

Winter frost

Op. The not using facetime would not concern me but in current times i would want a video chat of some kind where you get to interact with her whilst she holds the puppy.  This can be done on whats app or skype etc. No idea about vibe!

FiveAus
1 hour ago, SummerStar said:

This must depend on the breeder. I've never had to organise transport for any animal I've received, I've paid for it, but not organised it. And haven't heard of the buyer having to organise it on any of my breed pages either. I've always organised it at my end for animals I've sent. Good to know, I'd probably stick to breeders who do it all personally because it's just easier for them to arrange it from the sending end and just pass on the cost. That has always been how it's done with the animals I send and receive and the breeds I follow. 

I've arranged it for the few dogs I've bought from interstate, and once the breeder did. it's neither here nor there. It makes sense for the buyer to do the legwork as they can get the quote they are most comfortable with...there's a huge variance in quotes and service. And with two litters to care for the breeders time is going to be very limited.
My puppy going to NZ, the buyer got 4 quotes for him and there is a difference of over $1000. She's picked her company, now I'll deal with them direct in order to get him on a plane. When I brought my Finnish Lapphund from Newcastle to Melbourne, there was a variance of around $300 between the three companies I got quotes from.

SummerStar
Posted (edited)

Edited by SummerStar

TheGreenSheep

Our dog was transported from NSW to Vic. During the current border closures/permits/14 day quarantine, the breeder did the legwork as she had another dog to send, she also had the contacts ready to go. I rang the mover, he was very very helpful and I paid over the phone, picked up dog at the arranged spot and done. 

RE video chat, my breeder had crappy mobile reception in rural NSW and she would send me photo updates and little chats about them every week or two. Maybe give it a go and use WhatsApp and see if the puppy is for you. 

I've flown my old cat all around Oz, I swear he had more FF miles than most people. It is so common that it was seamless at the time.

Dont overthink it ☺️