smday

enrolling june baby in school year he turns 5

smday

Hi Mummas, my son is turning 5 in June 2022. Can he go to school that year? I feel like he'll get super bored if I delay kinder+school for him. He'll be started new childcare in October (we are moving burbs), can he do Kinder in 2021 and school from 2022? What do I need to do to make that happen if possible? Please halp!

Meepy

Which state are you in?

smday

vic

WaitForMe

Going by your previous posts, you are in Vic. So yes, he can and should (barring any issues) do kinder next year, and then FYOS (aka prep) in 2022.

ETA: Oh wait I can't do simple maths today... ignore!

Edited by WaitForMe
  • Haha 1

smday

thank you waitforme! That sounds good, is there anything extra I need to do or so? Or just ask the childcare to put him in kinder starting next year?

leosmum
3 minutes ago, WaitForMe said:

Going by your previous posts, you are in Vic. So yes, he can and should (barring any issues) do kinder next year, and then FYOS (aka prep) in 2022.

Hang on, I thought in Victoria a child had to turn 5 by 30 April in a given year to start school that year? Barring exceptional circumstances and an accelerated entry with all the requisite testing and documentation, of course.

Edited by leosmum
Sorry, meant end of April, not March
  • Like 6

smday

omg is it 31 march not 31 april? i have an early april kiddo too! haha. 

Nasty Teens

My memory, and a google search show he would be too young (in normal circumstances).

The law in Victoria states that children must attend school from the age of 6. To enrol in government school, a child must turn 5 before 30 April of the year they start school.

from https://www.vic.gov.au/starting-primary-school-guide

Edited by Nasty Teens
Added link
  • Like 2

caitiri

School cutoff in Vic is end of april

leosmum
2 minutes ago, smday said:

omg is it 31 march not 31 april? i have an early april kiddo too! haha. 

Haha sorry, it’s actually end of April cutoff!

caitiri

You can apply for early admission, but  I don’t think it’s often granted.  

WaitForMe
5 minutes ago, smday said:

thank you waitforme! That sounds good, is there anything extra I need to do or so? Or just ask the childcare to put him in kinder starting next year?

Ignore me I miscalculated sorry!

smday

yes, I know the official cutoff is end of April but someone mentioned (in passing) that you can enroll them by special request if they just miss the cutoff (in this case by 2 months). DS has excellent social/attention/etc skills and already knows his letters, numbers, basic math/reading, etc, I feel like we'd be holding him back if we enroll him in 2023. 

Pooks_

He will need to start school the year after he turns 5. My DD was probably ready on most measures to start school this year, but she turned 5 in July and had to start school next year. She did the kinder program at childcare for 2 years (last year and this one, well until covid upended that idea) as well as council run kinder this year to give her that extra stimulation and challenge. It was working well until the pandemic scuttled us. 

MsLaurie

What makes you think he will be bored? He can do 3yo kinder program at daycare next year when he’s 3 to 4, then the 4yo program the year he’s 4 to 5, then prep the year he’s 5 to 6. Pretty standard?

• Like 3

blimkybill

I wouldn't send him.. In Vic not that many children go before they turn 5. Starting at 4.5 would put him approximately a year younger than the average in the group. He won't be bored in a good quality play based kInder program. 

• Like 3

MsLaurie

With your update, perhaps a more structured pre prep year at an independent school might suit for the year he’s 4 to 5?

• Like 2

smday
1 minute ago, caitiri said:

You can apply for early admission, but  I don’t think it’s often granted.  

Is there anything I can do to get it granted? We pulled him from childcare in April due to covid fears, but while he was there staff would often comment on his intelligence/etc. I don't want to go the IQ test route, but now that he's home with us I can see first hand how he absorbs everything sponge-like on his own and I feel like he might be better off starting school sooner.

One year at an independent school might actually be a good solution, but I'd rather put him into the local primary straight away. Maybe I should just go talk to them...

Bam1

Move to NSW?

Green Sage
30 minutes ago, smday said:

yes, I know the official cutoff is end of April but someone mentioned (in passing) that you can enroll them by special request if they just miss the cutoff (in this case by 2 months). DS has excellent social/attention/etc skills and already knows his letters, numbers, basic math/reading, etc, I feel like we'd be holding him back if we enroll him in 2023. 

So he is currently 3, and already knows his numbers and letters and reads and knows basic math???

forget school. You need to get him assessed for giftedness and then go from there. He may even need a specific school witch will suit his needs. And those sorts of schools may take him early or have pre school programs (I have no idea, just thinking)

start with your MCHN or GP and get a referral or recommendation for someone to assess him. 

• Like 1

leosmum
27 minutes ago, smday said:

Is there anything I can do to get it granted? We pulled him from childcare in April due to covid fears, but while he was there staff would often comment on his intelligence/etc. I don't want to go the IQ test route, but now that he's home with us I can see first hand how he absorbs everything sponge-like on his own and I feel like he might be better off starting school sooner.

One year at an independent school might actually be a good solution, but I'd rather put him into the local primary straight away. Maybe I should just go talk to them...

I‘m not the authority on this, but from my understanding (including recent discussions with neighbours who looked at the early entrance option for their daughter) I think you will have to go the testing route to get an early admission. 

The decision can only be based on each individual child’s circumstances. Our oldest son is an early April baby. We were encouraged by his kinder teacher to send him to school on time in the year he turned 5 - rather than holding him back as would have been typical in the area we live. So we did and he went at 4 years 10 months. IQ tested midway that year and objectively incredibly bright (inside the top centile). He is thriving, but in hindsight I can see how that extra year would have made a big difference socially and emotionally. Our decision wasn’t wrong, but wasn’t perfect either. Whether you send your child early, on time or hold back, you may always be left wondering ‘what if’ you’d made a different choice - so just make the best decision you can, based on the best information you can get, and don’t be rushed or swayed too heavily by ideas such as ‘he’ll be bored’. 

ETA: I’ve just seen your subsequent post and my DS would have been very similar in his abilities to what you’re describing.

Edited by leosmum
  • Like 2

Green Sage
32 minutes ago, blimkybill said:

I wouldn't send him.. In Vic not that many children go before they turn 5. Starting at 4.5 would put him approximately a year younger than the average in the group. He won't be bored in a good quality play based kInder program. 

This is important too. Most kids start school in vic a lot closer to 6 than 4 (especially in my area). So your child may be almost 2 years younger than half the class. 

• Like 4

kerilyntaryn

Or move to QLD

smday
Just now, Green Sage said:

So he is currently 3, and already knows his numbers and letters and reads and knows basic math???

forget school. You need to get him assessed for giftedness and then go from there. He may even need a specific school witch will suit his needs. And those sorts of schools may take him early or have pre school programs (I have no idea, just thinking)

start with your MCHN or GP and get a referral or recommendation for someone to assess him. 

Thanks Green Sage, yes that's the case. I went to a g&t program when I was younger and hated it. I wanted DS to have "normal" schooling etc. But I guess I should get him assessed instead of letting my issues come into play. Also my friend (overseas) has a 3yo who reads etc a lot more than my kiddo so I'd started to think this was normal? I've had bad experiences with MCHN but our GP is good, so I might have a chat with him

He's learned math (Even numbers, addition etc) from some cartoon 😕

2 minutes ago, leosmum said:

Our oldest son is an early April baby. We were encouraged by his kinder teacher to send him to school on time in the year he turned 5 - rather than holding him back as would have been typical in the area we live. So we did and he went at 4 years 10 months. IQ tested midway that year and objectively incredibly bright (inside the top centile). He is thriving, but in hindsight I can see how that extra year would have made a big difference socially and emotionally. Our decision wasn’t wrong, but wasn’t perfect either. Whether you send your child early, on time or hold back, you may always be left wondering ‘what if’ you’d made a different choice - so just make the best decision you can, based on the best information you can get, and don’t be rushed or swayed too heavily by ideas such as ‘he’ll be bored’. 

thank you ❤️

22Fruitmincepies
13 minutes ago, Bam1 said:

Move to NSW?

Or WA - he would be required to start at that age.