null

Two report cards each year

null

The department of education in Queensland has negotiated with the union that a maximum of 2 report cards will be issued for state school students each year.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/queensland/state-school-students-to-get-just-two-report-cards-a-year-under-wage-deal-20200919-p55x7s.html

I am fine with primary school only issuing 2 for each student per year because it is easy to talk to one teacher to get an update on my child's progress. But with my high schoolers I leave them to it unless there is a problem reflected in their grades. So I admit I am a bit miffed about this change. I guess I will be emailing 24 teachers to find out how they are going?!

What do you think? How many report cards does your child get each year? How do you keep track of your high schooler's progress without using report cards? 

kshy

Vic parent here - we have only ever had 2 report cards at the end of each semester.  Parent teacher interviews end of term 1 and early term 3.  We are in the process of moving to continuous reporting and have access via Compass to see results from fears and assignments 

• Like 7

null

I would give up report cards if I could see the results of their assessments online. That sounds great!

• Like 3

~Jolly_F~

Qld here, kids have been both public and private and we have only ever had 2 report cards a year - both primary and high school... 

Parent teacher has also only been once or twice a year.

Anything more than that imo is overkill and adds to much work to teachers already huge load!!

As for keeping track of progress - the teachers email if they see a problem. I don’t really use grades as a guide for progress personally. We have compass, I rarely go on! 

Edited by ~Jolly_F~
  • Like 5

seayork2002

We get 2 in primary and high school, if there is an issue I would presume the school will contact us, if no issue then ds's assignmnet/exam results.

I want teachers time spent teaching and not reporting/recording every single thing

I do not need any more than what they are doing

• Like 3

JRA

Early on we got 4. When we moved to seeing alll assessments online, about 6 years ago we went to 2.

• Like 1

Caitlin Happymeal

Yeah, also qld, and we have only ever got 2 report cards... the alternate term was parent teacher interviews (except for this year, for the obvious reason).
I assume it’s due to the large size of the schools our kids have attended, but I also think it’s overkill to do any more than that - if there’s an individual concern, I would anticipate a teacher would contact me? 

null

Interesting. I guess we were outliers with 4 report cards. I think I would be happy with online visibility of their assessment results but that is not being proposed at the moment. I have been happy with the current arrangement because it meant I could let my children self manage and I only thought I would start asking questions if their grades dropped. But now I will have to be more proactive in asking the teachers mid term if there are any problems. I doubt a teacher would spontaneously contact me if they say dropped to a C after previously being a B in a subject.

.Jerry.

Null - are you referring to primary school or high school re assessment results online?

I ask, because at primary school level there are not often "marks" for assessments - students are often mapped on a continuum of achievement standards.  There may not be a specific assessment piece, rather graded on a portfolio of pieces of work done over a period of time.

• Like 2

~Jolly_F~

I am going to be honest I really don’t get why having only two reports a year means your children can’t self manage? I am not sure why you need to be contacting teachers more because a teacher still might not flag a B to a C as an issue as a C is still a pass ! 

• Like 10

.Jerry.

And assuming this is primary school, let's be honest, their grades (as long as they are not struggling with learning to read or do basic maths), don't really impact seriously on their future successful life.

Years 10-12, that's another story.

• Like 1

null
3 minutes ago, .Jerry. said:

Null - are you referring to primary school or high school re assessment results online?

I was referring to high school. I am happy with 2 report cards in primary. Thanks for the insight into primary school assessments.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

null
4 minutes ago, ~Jolly_F~ said:

I am going to be honest I really don’t get why having only two reports a year means your children can’t self manage? I am not sure why you need to be contacting teachers more because a teacher still might not flag a B to a C as an issue as a C is still a pass ! 

I understand that C is still a pass but a drop from a usual B to C is something I would like to know about.

~Jolly_F~

1 minute ago, .Jerry. said:

And assuming this is primary school, let's be honest, their grades (as long as they are not struggling with learning to read or do basic maths), don't really impact seriously on their future successful life.

Years 10-12, that's another story.

It probably depends on what your kid wants to do but I don’t see years 10-12 that much different. Plenty of people have successful lives without completing those years or even doing well! Grades from high school do not determine you life. They only matter for a very very short time! 

• Like 2

.Jerry.

Agree with you that it would be good to be notified of assessment results in high school.  DD luckily tells me how she goes on her assessments, so I don't get a shock at report card time.

In my primary school we only do two reports a year.

In DD's high school we get three - one short one in term one so we know how they have started the year.

• Like 1

JRA
7 minutes ago, .Jerry. said:

I ask, because at primary school level there are not often "marks" for assessments - students are often mapped on a continuum of achievement standards.  There may not be a specific assessment piece, rather graded on a portfolio of pieces of work done over a period of time.

I wondered about that too

looking back ds’s assessments, as I said they changed 6 years ago to having assessments online, but that also was when he went to year 7

.Jerry.
1 minute ago, ~Jolly_F~ said:

It probably depends on what your kid wants to do but I don’t see years 10-12 that much different. Plenty of people have successful lives without completing those years or even doing well! Grades from high school do not determine you life. They only matter for a very very short time! 

Very true!  There are many pathways available now for a successful life.

• Like 2

null

I agree that grades don't equal success but I had been using it to start a conversation about whether they need any extra support or if they are struggling in any way. I do talk to them generally about how they are going and they always say they are fine (as teenagers do) but if grades are dropping from normal then I would follow up a bit more. It's a fine line between staying engaged/supportive and interfering.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

lumack

Highschool - we see all results online as they are released. We also get a report card every term. What we don't get are parent teacher interviews - the teachers request parents to talk to and as they only get 28 slots they are very selective - we haven't had one at all this year.  However, we can email/phone when we like, and the mentor teacher did do a check in in term 2 with us.

• Like 1

LiveLife

Wa highschool

we get 3 reports. A quick interim one in term 1 just on behaviours so we know how they’ve settled in and a full one each semester. We then get all assessments online that include year group averages, spread of grades etc to be honest I don’t see any value in the reports the individual assessment results are much more useful as you see how they are tracking in their cohort plus specific comments on where they lost marks. 

• Like 1

null

I am really impressed in the level of online assessment reporting in high school by some schools/states! I am all for it and I wish the Queensland government would have included this in the negotiations.

rosie28

Just get a bit more specific in your everyday conversations? I’m not at that stage yet with the children but my parents used to ask what grade I got for such and such assessment, without it being an interrogation. They knew when major assessments were due etc.

• Like 3

SplashingRainbows

NSW here. Has only ever been 2 report cards when I was educated and now my kids are going through the system. 

In the public system I never had any idea how he was going and feedback to parents was minimal. There seemed to be an attitude of school performance being confined to school in a way I could not get on board with. My children’s education is important - it needs to be something that is a happy, positive and constructive process for them and if that is not the case I want to help them. 

Now in the private system my child’s year 4 teacher sends home an assessment piece roughly every 2 weeks with a brief email to all parents explaining what the task was, what it was assessing and in some cases Key feature of an a, b or c piece, or y4 v y5 ‘Level’ work. Each assessment piece the child brings home has written on it a personal comment as to where they did well and how they could improve. 

the report therefore isn’t so crucial because I know she is regularly reviewing their work, seeing their strengths and helping them improve. I have more trust in her and the process by the visibility & communication, but also more knowledge of my sons performance (I’m reasonably confident of my assessment of his natural ability).  He came out firing this year but is starting to slack off a bit. I’d rather know that in t3 than end of t4. What’s the point then?

• Like 1

JRA
1 minute ago, SplashingRainbows said:

NSW here. Has only ever been 2 report cards when I was educated and now my kids are going through the system. 

When I went through school (vic) it was one per term, so it was 3 report cards.

Kreme

My kids get two reports just as I did when I was at school. We are in NSW. 

DD in year 8 brings home her assessments which have a grading matrix attached with her mark and comments. She always shows us everything regardless of the outcome so we know how she is doing.

DS in year 7 and the school has taken a relaxed approach to assessments this year to focus on getting the kids used to high school in a very disrupted year. From next year we will be able to see his marks online. 

• Like 2