Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg RIP

cardamom

Gutted. Such a loss.

• Like 3

purpleduck

I’m now even more terrified for the US :( 

• Like 5

PhillipaCrawford

Ironic that of all her achievements the greatest may have been a stubborn determination to live long enough to outlast the Trump pick.
Fingers crossed of course

• Like 1

Murderino
24 minutes ago, PhillipaCrawford said:

Ironic that of all her achievements the greatest may have been a stubborn determination to live long enough to outlast the Trump pick.
Fingers crossed of course

She didn't. McConnell has already said Trump's pick will be voted on by the senate.

• Sad 1

Mrs Zee
51 minutes ago, purpleduck said:

I’m now even more terrified for the US :( 

Same. Shattered. 

• Like 1

purplekitty

#mayhermemorybearevolution.

• Like 1

purplekitty

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Amica

Absolutely terrible. 

born.a.girl

What a loss. 

Chaotic Pogo

Absolutely devastating.

One less beacon of light and truth in the world.

Froyo

"Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you."

An exceptional human being, her passing is a devastating loss. 

• Like 9

Blue Shoe

Awful news. 
I really despair for the future of the US. 

gruidae

Edited by gruidae
going into hiding
  • Like 8

(feral)epg

I wish we had the time and space to mourn her properly.  But my concerns immediately go to who will be picked as her replacement on the supreme court bench.  In a decent world the supreme court would be populated with judges who were NOT political and would genuinely judge issues on their merits.  Sadly that world is gone and I find myself hoping for a clearly 'progressive' judge - to balance out the conservatives.  

I find myself fearing that this will motivate the "christian" (note the inverted commas) vote, who will happily vote for a lier, an adulterer and a worshipper of money - just to get the 'anti abortion' seat they have craved, vs hoping that this will inspire the progressives to vote to get a seat that  prioritises womens and minority rights.  

• Like 5

Chaotic Pogo

Unfortunately, it’s not a public vote. Trump picks and the Senate  votes to confirm (or not). As the Republicans have a majority, Trump picks.  
To get a progressive judge, some Republican senators will have to side with the Democrats - I’m not holding my breath.

• Like 4

MooGuru

I don't understand how Obama was blocked from choosing our election but Trump can now choose. WTF is up with that? 

ETA and it pains me that I'm even having to think about that stuff rather than just focusing on her achievements and life. RIP.

Edited by MooGuru
  • Like 1

Crombek

The anti-abortionists are going insane on socials. I had no idea at the level of hatred she sparked in other women. Rest in piece RBG. I hope your tireless work has not been in vain.

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

JRA
6 hours ago, MooGuru said:

I don't understand how Obama was blocked from choosing our election but Trump can now choose. WTF is up with that? 

ETA and it pains me that I'm even having to think about that stuff rather than just focusing on her achievements and life. RIP.

When Obama was blocked republicans had a majority in the senate. It seems they are saying as that happened after mid terms their concept is the people spoke at mid terms and picked republican 

Murderino
4 hours ago, JRA said:

When Obama was blocked republicans had a majority in the senate. It seems they are saying as that happened after mid terms their concept is the people spoke at mid terms and picked republican 

It is amusing all the democrats on twitter quoting McConnell's words from 2016.  They surely know two things 1) McConnell would either find a way to justify his changed approach (mid-terms) or just completely ignore his own hypocrisy, and 2) Trumpers and regular republicans (as I don't think they are necessarily the same people) invite the hypocrisy to "own the libs".

I am also seeing them post about Lindsay Graham saying

I want you to use my words against me. If there’s a Republican senator in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say, ‘Lindsey Graham said let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination, and you can use my words against me and you’d be absolutely right.

They ignore the rest of it

We’re setting a precedent here today, Republicans are, that in the last year – at least of a lame duck eight-year term, I would say it’s gonna be a four-year term – that you’re not gonna fill a vacant seat of the Supreme Court based on what we’re doing here today. That’s gonna be the new rule.”

He qualified it right when he said it and he will have no problem voting for a Trump pick in the coming days.

My other favourite part is that they attribute this to Biden setting the precedent in 1992 even though they know there was actually no seat to fill when it was said, it was not codified and was completely irrelevant.  Again they display their hypocrisy constantly and democrats never learn.

Many of them referred to this as the “Biden rule”, invoking a 1992 floor speech by then-senator Joe Biden in which he said that because of the intense acrimony that had erupted around several of Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush’s nominees, the Senate should wait until after that year’s election to take up any nominations.

• Like 1

purplekitty

Semantics.

We know how this will go down.No matter what the GOP have done/said in the past they will now choose the most pragmatic option despite the hypocrisy or lack of  ethics of it.It has been 80 years since a Justice has been confirmed at this time.

The Dems. always bring a Kumbaya to a fight and the GOP drop nukes.

The Dems. need to play hardball.

Threaten to expand the court which they should do anyway.

• Like 4

YodaTheWrinkledOne
16 hours ago, Chaotic Pogo said:

Unfortunately, it’s not a public vote. Trump picks and the Senate  votes to confirm (or not). As the Republicans have a majority, Trump picks.  
To get a progressive judge, some Republican senators will have to side with the Democrats - I’m not holding my breath.

And given how Trump has been appointing conservative judiciary positions all over the place during his first term, it won't be a surprise if he tries to ram his nomination through before the November election. It would win him so many votes with conservative (Christian) America.

• Like 1

YodaTheWrinkledOne
19 hours ago, gruidae said:

Utterly  devastating.

It'd be nice if they'd at least give a chance for her life and achievements to be celebrated before salivating to replace her but decency is  so 2015.

I reckon RBG would have been trying to hold on for as long as possible to avoid a conservative appointment before the November elections. She was sick for a while, it hasn't come as a surprise.

Such a great loss. Her wit, compassion and empathy in her decisions and summations were legendary.

• Like 2

(feral)epg

In all likelihood they will manage to ram through a supreme court appointment in the 6 weeks or so before the election.

It is also highly likely that that appointee will be one of  the 9 people that will be ruling on the results of the election (assuming the results are contested).

This is not how a democracy works.

• Sad 1

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Republicans are happy to appoint supreme court nomination to replace RBG within the next 40 days. It's a game changer for the election, and for the USA for many years to come.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-21/us-supreme-court-fight-could-make-election-even-nastier/12683202?

• Sad 1