Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WaitForMe

Kindle US content

Recommended Posts

WaitForMe

I haven't used my Kindle in a while. Discovered they continue to have books in the US they'll physically send to Australia, but the Kindle version is limited to the US.

So I did what previously worked, set up a US address and attempted to purchase the book, however it looks like they now block that... I'm perfectly happy to buy it from the Aus Amazon site for whatever price they set but its not available. 

I know theres a few Kindle users on here, just curious if anyone has any tips for getting around it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rosie28

I bought my kindle in the US, set it up over there and have a US address attached to it. It’s still working but if they’re smart they’ll figure out my credit card bills to Australia and cut me off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WaitForMe

Yeah mine was bought overseas too, its always been fine with just a US address attached to my amazon account. In fact it was fine at the start of the day, I bought a book from the US store no problems. Then I turned on the Kindle, connected it to wifi (I think this is where it all went wrong), downloaded the book, all good. Then I decided actually I want another book. This time, when I went to purchase, it says I'm in the wrong region.

I'm thinking maybe I need to get a US vpn service, but I'm keen to hear if anyone else has gotten around this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Let-it-go

I’m no use because my Amazon sign in was connected to the UK Amazon website from when I lived there years ago.  So now I seem to access UK Amazon from my kindle despite my credit card being Australian.

Its been bloody amazing!  So much cheaper, so many good free books.  You could try the UK Amazon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WaitForMe

My Amazon account was also first created in the UK too. It was working perfectly fine and then I just stopped using the Kindle for about 6 months.

In any case, I've fixed it. I bought a VPN service, ran the kindle app on my laptop so it looked like I was using a kindle in the US, then bought the book just fine. Then I turned on wifi on my Kindle and downloaded the book. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lesley225

They always have great daily specials in the UK, ours are terrible.   Since they cut off the UK I've spent a lot less money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IamOzgirl
2 hours ago, WaitForMe said:

Yeah mine was bought overseas too, its always been fine with just a US address attached to my amazon account. In fact it was fine at the start of the day, I bought a book from the US store no problems. Then I turned on the Kindle, connected it to wifi (I think this is where it all went wrong), downloaded the book, all good. Then I decided actually I want another book. This time, when I went to purchase, it says I'm in the wrong region.

I'm thinking maybe I need to get a US vpn service, but I'm keen to hear if anyone else has gotten around this.

 

Funnily enough my issues is when I go to Japan I can’t download a book. 
 

I use tunnel bear on my phone. Have never exceeded the free limit as ebook files are so small. 
 

(FYI, I have a us kindle acct and have just never changed the region, once people started reporting issues. I don’t need a VPN to download when I’m in Australia)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CrankyM

You can still use the US site. I sometimes flick back and forth from the Australian and US site. It’s only if you have things like kindle unlimited or prime membership that things go wonky. 
Go to “your account”

then “manage content and devices”

then “preferences” and then you select country/region settings. You have the option to switch to US or AUS. All my stuff had Australian details but if I select US on this I can access all the US content/specials etc. 
3E533C1C-635C-4293-B2CC-48FB73C588BE.thumb.jpeg.244f8ee869efeb28a54d44aca6be2489.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WaitForMe
5 hours ago, CrankyM said:

You can still use the US site. I sometimes flick back and forth from the Australian and US site. It’s only if you have things like kindle unlimited or prime membership that things go wonky. 
Go to “your account”

then “manage content and devices”

then “preferences” and then you select country/region settings. You have the option to switch to US or AUS. All my stuff had Australian details but if I select US on this I can access all the US content/specials etc. 
 

Ah... now its making sense... I signed up for Amazon Prime recently. I thought I'd unsubscribed but maybe I haven't...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IamOzgirl

I'm too scared LOL

I have an Aussie prime account on on email. And US Kindle unlimited on another email acct.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
laridae

I have a us kindle account. 

Originally I signed up with the us one (before the Au one existed). And I set my about to being us. Put in a fake (but real) us address. That worked fine for a while - and then they asked me to prove I was in the us.

I used a VPN once, that was enough 'proof', and they've not asked since.  Even though my credit care is Australian and whenever I get stuff shipped it's to Australia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IamzFeralz
16 hours ago, Lesley225 said:

They always have great daily specials in the UK, ours are terrible.   Since they cut off the UK I've spent a lot less money. 

We used to get more deals e.g “Mother’s Day”, “Anzac Day”,  “Spring Sale” but they’ve stopped doing them.  I even wrote and asked them to bring them back but they didn’t grace me with a reply.  

Next time I go to the UK I will switch over to the UK site and leave it on UK mode when I return to Oz.  I didn’t realise the UK gets more free books either?   We do have free books on the Oz site but it’s a lot of tattooed, billionaire, ex navy seal returning back to their small town for a second chance romances.  You have to sift to get the good books.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...