OneDayDreamer

Teachers - if you were to change careers, what would you do?

OneDayDreamer

I've had a rubbish day at work - I'm a teacher now, moving into Senior Leadership next year at this stage. 
I've had the kind of day where I'm thinking about tossing it all in and doing something completely different. So, teachers - if you were going to drop it all, what would you do next? I don't want to have to do further study ideally, as I've got my Masters and only wanted to do a PHD in education. So, with a Master of Education and Bachelor of Teaching - what would you do next if you were me? 

.Jerry.

You could go into education for a large firm - e.g. writing training packages, supervising training.  Lots of multi-national type companies engage educators in these types of roles.

Kallie88

Personally, I want to explore the role education leader in daycares. But i think it lends itself well to my background: i've worked in daycare, i studied psychology including child psych and i have the master of teach sec so even though usually they hire kinder teachers i think i'd be good for the position. Gives me space to explore curriculum which i think I'd enjoy.

Froggilicious

I was a science (biology) teacher for 12 years, but have quit and I'm currently retraining as a paramedic. However, I have also thought about a job in health promotion or public policy or the like.

• Like 1

kadoodle

I bailed on teaching when my local special school where I worked was rationalised. I took over management of the family farm.

Redhead78

I was a teacher for 10 years then moved in to the disability sector. I was an early intervention teacher for a few years and now work in the public service in disability. 

Gudrun

A friend moved into community education and is Co-ordinator of a neighbourhood house.  Another started his own successful tutoring business.

TAFE?  Running training programs for businesses etc?   Education consultant?

Edited by Gudrun

hmmph

I was looking at Acer for a while...

katei

How about sessional work at a University as a tutor or supervising prac students? 

• Like 1

Froggilicious
8 hours ago, katei said:

How about sessional work at a University as a tutor or supervising prac students? 

Unfortunately I don't think there will be much of that happening at the moment. I know the uni where I am studying at has a blanket no to casuals for the next year.

kadoodle

One of my SILs swapped from teaching to being a librarian, and a couple of friends have swapped from teaching to school IT support.

ballogo
18 hours ago, Redhead78 said:

I was a teacher for 10 years then moved in to the disability sector. I was an early intervention teacher for a few years and now work in the public service in disability. 

I'm the opposite!  I began in the disability sector and moved to teaching.  7 years in disabilities - residential care, a program for the homeless and then as a case manager and now 20 years in teaching!

• Like 1

Dianalynch

Corporate training / facilitation, learning and development roles, training development, online learning development/ facilitation 

the public service is known to employ ex teachers in their generalist roles  

if further study does end up being an option, a grad dip would qualify you as a librarian, or a masters for nursing, or a grad cert in an IT field eg cyber security there’s huge demand 

• Like 1

BusbyWilkes

I know you said preferably with no further study, but your skill set would be a great as a therapist (OT or speech). Very in demand professions with very varied roles. Would require (I think) 2 years of further study.

• Like 1

onetrick

It depends what you enjoy/ dont enjoy about teaching. I hate the sheer volume of paperwork, so some of these suggestions make me cringe. I am still teaching, but work in careers as well, so I am only teaching two classes and the rest is working one on one with students. So for me, I love the idea of moving around while still working in schools and keeping my few classes. It's a balance that I enjoy.

Other teachers I know have moved into various fields;

My aunty was a teacher then teacher librarian and now writes book reviews in retirement (and when my cousin was little she reviewed kids books, too).

Other aunty (teaching runs in families, I swear!) worked in disability support.

My colleague (on mat leave so still colleague) has moved to working with pre-service teachers at a university (but as PP mentioned this would be difficult now!).

Others have made complete changes to admin (I am also the timetabler at work and can see the appeal of this some days. The problem solving element is fun!), policing, private tutoring in semi retirement, exam supervisor/ assessor. Mum looked into creating work for distance ed... Lots of options!

melanieb530

I know a few teachers who started up their own very successful Family Day Care businesses from home. 

RockingChair

I know someone who moved from full time teaching to tutoring from home.

Meepy

After watching a webinar relating to the running of exams this week I thought it may be something to go into after teaching or school admin in the dept.  They need the input of teachers as some of them don't appear to know how classrooms operate.

The Little Engine

I have thought about this more than once over the years... teaching is SO stressful sometimes.  This year has shown me however that I do enjoy the joy of teaching, despite the downfalls.  Teaching remotely for much of the year has been difficult from a different perspective but I have been very grateful that I have had a stable income throughout it all.  I'm not sure what I will do long term... but I'm not sure how long I can stay in the classroom.

Tinky Winky Woo

I left because I had lost faith in education being for the benefit of the students.  It became too much about office politics as well as real politics.  I wanted to engage the students to ensure they wanted to learn, I wanted to give them opportunities to explore, but admin believed that being flexible was detrimental to the students.  I partitioned for some bend in the strict structure and was told basically to follow the rules or get out.  At the time education was very 'rule' following and zero flexibility, and that was not in line with my beliefs on what education needs to be.  I went into public service for a time

• Like 1

a letter to Elise.

I left and moved into teaching creative workshops. The pay is a lot higher, but the income can be sporadic. I supplement my income by selling creative kits and my own artwork. 

BeAwesome

I'm an Early Childhood Teacher,  I could have gone into primary, but didn't see the curriculum delivered well to cater to all needs of children.  I love that my pre-preps get to spend so much of their time learning through play.   I have a lot more flexibility with what I can do with my children than in school.   Still loads of regulations and paperwork though.  Long term I think I'd like to do more study/research and become an Educational Leader, but I want to stay in the classroom for a bit longer yet.

alek2019

Well I taught art class, so I don't know if that can count. 😊 But if I'd need a career change I'd simply revert back to painting.

OneDayDreamer

Thanks all! I've recovered from my bad day and am looking forward to being back in the classroom and moving into out of class leadership next year. If I'm still not enjoying myself after that, I'll revisit.  
Does anyone know how one might get into writing Australian versions of Fountas & Pinnell or PM texts? I've often wondered how that might work out!