WS459

Baby name dilemma

WS459

Hello

We would really like your opinion on two names.

We are trying to decide which name to call our baby boy. We like traditional names that are not overly popular. We have narrowed it down to two names, Reginald and Harold.

DP prefers Reginald, I prefer Harold.

We would use his nickname in everyday life, so either Reggie or Harry.

I really like Harry but I believe it is quite popular at the moment. We could use the nickname Hank but I am not as fond of that as Harry.

Given we are split on which name to use, I thought I would get some opinions on which name you prefer out of the two? If you know any Reggie/Reginald’s or Harry/Hank/Harold’s, are they nice people?

As an outside choice, we were also considering Albert or Albie for short.

Which name would you choose? Thanks in advance for your input 😊

Jenflea

I really don't like Reginald. I think it's too old fashioned and rather daggy. 

I do like Harold, but how about Alfred, NM Alfie? 

Albert is ok, but he may get called Bertie, would you be ok with that? 

• Like 2

little lion

They’re all a bit old man for me but the nicknames make them feel more contemporary. Reggie sounds relaxed and cool and reminds me of reggae, whereas Reginald sounds very, erm, regimented? I would select Albert. 

kerilyntaryn

I think Harold, nn Harry  is good,  I prefer Alfred nn Alfie to Albert 

Others similar Robert Hubert Edmund Wilfred Gilbert  Wilbert 

Edited by kerilyntaryn
  • Like 2

blimkybill

Harry is a good name but it is definitely very popular. I like it myself but it doesn't fit the "not popular" criterion. 

I don't like Reggie as much but it is not terrible and people might be a bit funny about it at first but they would soon get used to it. 

I do like Albert (nn either Albie or Bertie or Bert) and I do like Alfred (nn Fred or Alfie) and I think both are uncommon but just a bit less out of place than Reggie. 

• Like 4

Ernegirl

I like Albert/Bertie best. Harold actually sounds refreshing because  it's been in storage for so long, and Harry is popular. Reginald is a bit like liquorice, a little strange at first but then OK. Reggie is quite cute.  It's an 'old man' name that hasn't been fully reclaimed yet, unlike Alfie, Harry, Archie etc, so it would be a pioneering choice. 

• Like 1

WS459

We both love Alfie but we unfortunately already have a nephew with that name.

We also don't mind Bertie for Albert.

Now DP is also putting Ernest or Ernie into the mix...

• Like 2

kerilyntaryn

I don't like Ernest as much as any of the other names mentioned 

Jenflea

I like Ernest! But do you want him called after a Sesame Street character? "Hey Ernie, where's Bert? " type of comments. 

• Like 1

Gruffalo's Child

I love Harry but it is very popular.  So far, I haven't met a Harry that hasn't been a really nice person.    Reggie could definitely grow on me, but I'm not hugely fond of Reginald.  

Have you considered Arthur at all?  Nickname Art or Artie?

• Like 1

FreyjaCatherine22

Out of Reginald and Harold my pick is Reginald. It sounds more dignified than Harold, and Reggie has more spunk or cool factor than Harry in my opinion. Reggie is also less common and more interesting. Albert is a bit too over the top, and Ernest is too “Bert & Ernie”. 
I second the pp suggestion of Arthur but with nickname Archie? Or Alfred nn Alfie or Freddie?

*bucket*

My DS was at school with a Reginald, usually known as Reginald, or Reg, but this was secondary school, so maybe he was Reggie when he was younger. My first reaction was that he must have been named after a grandfather (also had a brother Victor, so both very 'old man' names), but it has grown on me. I don't mind it. Harold I like, but Harry is very common. I l don't mind Ernest. 

purpleblaze

I'm throwing in Leonard, nn Lenny.  Out of your picks I'd go Harold/Harry.  Not keen on Reginald at all.

Frederick, Archie or Aurthur I like also.

• Like 4

Amica

I really can't decide which one I dislike the most. If I had to pick I would go with the previous suggestion of Leonard - Leo or Lenny for nn. 

• Like 1

BusbyWilkes

Not a fan of Harold, but if you want it with a less common nickname, nn Rolly.

i prefer Arthur/Artie

Freddie'sMum

Not keen on Reggie / Reginald OP - Harold is a good solid boy's name - apart from Harry, his nickname could just be Hal.

Love Arthur / Artie.

amdirel

I really don't like any of them at all. In the slightest.

To answer your question, I knew a wonderful old man Reginald. But I'm not sure why that's relevant. 

• Like 1

Jenflea

I do like Artie!

Flutteby

I like Reggie. I think Harry is a bit boring and overused. 

laridae

I don't like either. Reginald was my grandpa, but it's definitely not a name I'd use. Most go by Reg, not Reggie. 

Gudrun

My pick is Albert NN Albie.  

Gilbert

Oswald

Dougald

Theobald

daisybelle22

Our friends have a Reggie (no formal name) and tbh I didn't like it at first but he is the cutest kid so it suits him. 

I love Bertie for Albert, and I like Harold although it does remind me of the giraffe van! 

Samson/Sam

Edmund/Ed/Ted/Ned

Maximillian/Max

Montgomery/Monty

• Like 2

marple

I know a young Reggie. That is his name though. Not Reginald. I think it's quite spunky!

WS459

Thanks everyone for your opinions on Reginald/Harold/Albert and additional name suggestions.

We have ruled out Ernest because of the Bert association.

We haven't chosen his name yet but have now included Arthur to the short list :).

Thanks once again!

• Like 1

Silverstreak

I like all these old fashioned names, so I am no help, lol. But my picks would be Reginald, Albert and Arthur.