Zeppelina
On 22/09/2020 at 1:18 AM, Sara.xoxo said:

I’m another lockdown Melbourne mum. My DS has been to kinder during lockdown (I’m a nurse) but I’m really anxious about prep next year. The kinder have offered a redo of 4 yo kinder citing social reasons and maturity but I’m not sure. Do I send DS to prep next year when he will be 5 or wait another year? 
Any words of wisdom from experienced parents? 

So he will be turning 5 early next year?

From both a parental perspective and an educational perspective (I'm a teacher, trained in primary although I don't work in primary anymore), I'm quite pro holding back, particularly for social/emotional reasons, and especially if the kinder are advising it. Yes all of the kids next year will likely be a bit behind, but the kinder teachers will have taken that into consideration when advising you.

• Like 1

Contrebasse

The last I heard, transition sessions are still on for late November... (metro Melbourne)

has there been some kind of official ruling that they can’t go ahead?

• Like 2

Kallie88

I finally got dd officially enrolled, they said they were waiting to see if they could do any in person orientation in term 4, otherwise they'd offer some zoom stuff. I'm waiting for a pack of info they're sending in the mail now, it all feels very big for this first timer lol

Hands Up

Our school have said no in person orientation sessions. I’m not bothered as I didn’t find last year particularly helpful. EB has far more practical information!

We are in Sydney but they are still being very strict about drop off and pick up.

Contrebasse

I think from a parent point of view, zoom Q&A would be fine.

For the kids, I get the feeling much of the benefit is for teachers to observe them, to get some hints on class placement and strategies for next year.

My daughter is so excited about school! Lucky she has seen her older sister do it so the school is very familiar to her. I feel for the new families though!

Sara.xoxo
On 08/10/2020 at 2:08 PM, Zeppelina said:

So he will be turning 5 early next year?

From both a parental perspective and an educational perspective (I'm a teacher, trained in primary although I don't work in primary anymore), I'm quite pro holding back, particularly for social/emotional reasons, and especially if the kinder are advising it. Yes all of the kids next year will likely be a bit behind, but the kinder teachers will have taken that into consideration when advising you.

Thanks for posting. My DS will be 5 in December this year. So if he repeats kinder he will be in prep after he is 6. I’m confusing myself I think... 

Zeppelina
12 minutes ago, Sara.xoxo said:

Thanks for posting. My DS will be 5 in December this year. So if he repeats kinder he will be in prep after he is 6. I’m confusing myself I think... 

It's a confusing and difficult situation! Even without Covid added to it.

Ultimately, nobody knows your child better than you, and as a PP said, it is indeed a very personal decision.  But I do also think it's important to take into consideration what the kinder teachers are saying - they have seen a lot of children go through, they likely have a wealth of information and experience regarding social, emotional, behavioural issues. Have they actually suggested/advised that he do another year? Or just made the offer, because you are feeling nervous?

PuddingPlease
1 hour ago, Sara.xoxo said:

I have a child in this situation who will be starting just after turning 5.

My view is that keeping her home for more than a full year after her fifth birthday would have been a pretty big call. Her sister started school when she was nearly six and the last six months were intense because she was more than ready to move on from kinder.  

There's nothing wrong with a kid being the oldest in a class, but if they are a full year older than many of their classmates and possibly 16-18 months older than a few, I was worried that that might make it hard for her to connect with others. 

Aside from covid, are there any other reasons why you think he might benefit from a repeat of kinder?

nom_de_plume
On 10/10/2020 at 9:40 AM, Contrebasse said:

The last I heard, transition sessions are still on for late November... (metro Melbourne)

has there been some kind of official ruling that they can’t go ahead?

Our school is planning on doing them late November to early December. It's much later than usual but they still want to have F2F transition. They'll just have them start later in the day as well so they don't coincide with regular staggered drop off/pick up times.

All the parent info sessions and storytimes etc. Have been online.

Sara.xoxo

Thanks everyone for replying. My DS does kinder through long day care. I had always planned to send him to prep in 2021 after he turned 5. It was a bit of a shock to me that he was offered another year of kinder as it was not discussed at the mid year meeting. He does have a lot of energy and does not like to sit still, but apart from that I think he is ready. He plays well with kids that he knows but is a bit unsure in large groups. 
We are probably going to send him to prep, but I’m second guessing myself now. 

Does anyone have any advice on how to get his confidence up in the playground and how to make new friends?? 

Green Sage
On 13/10/2020 at 9:54 AM, Sara.xoxo said:

Thanks everyone for replying. My DS does kinder through long day care. I had always planned to send him to prep in 2021 after he turned 5. It was a bit of a shock to me that he was offered another year of kinder as it was not discussed at the mid year meeting. He does have a lot of energy and does not like to sit still, but apart from that I think he is ready. He plays well with kids that he knows but is a bit unsure in large groups. 
We are probably going to send him to prep, but I’m second guessing myself now. 

Does anyone have any advice on how to get his confidence up in the playground and how to make new friends?? 

Can kinder work on the friend making?  Our kinder works on this.  This week they made everyone pick a new person to sit with at lunch, and they all went through different questions they could ask each other to get to know each other. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kallie88

What sort of consent do your schools ask for in terms of images/ videos etc? We just have a fairly broad consent for images to be used in newsletter, yearbook, advertising, etc. i'm happy for her to be in newsletters yearbook etc, but not so sure about advertising or other potentially 'out of school zone' stuff. I guess I wondered if it was broad everywhere or just this school. Assuming I'll need to call the school up and ask about if the consent can be split between things or not

• Like 1

PrincessPeach
22 minutes ago, Kallie88 said:

What sort of consent do your schools ask for in terms of images/ videos etc? We just have a fairly broad consent for images to be used in newsletter, yearbook, advertising, etc. i'm happy for her to be in newsletters yearbook etc, but not so sure about advertising or other potentially 'out of school zone' stuff. I guess I wondered if it was broad everywhere or just this school. Assuming I'll need to call the school up and ask about if the consent can be split between things or not

I just signed all that stuff the other week. Our School has a broad consent form where they ask permission for all media sources, as parents you can agree to nothing, just their image, image plus first name or image & full name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

blueskies12
On 17/10/2020 at 2:49 PM, Kallie88 said:

I have been wondering the same thing. I am happy for internal school newsletters etc but not websites, ads, newspapers and promotional stuff.

I would be happy as a PP said to have some options and not a blanket yes/no.

• Like 1

José
4 hours ago, blueskies12 said:

I have been wondering the same thing. I am happy for internal school newsletters etc but not websites, ads, newspapers and promotional stuff.

I would be happy as a PP said to have some options and not a blanket yes/no.

That might be tricky because many schools now publish their newsletter on their website. Or have a link to it. So if you're saying no to being on a website that might need to mean no to the newsletter as well. Depends on the school 

Kiwi Bicycle

Do do know they don't publish the kid's full name, just their first name snd class? 

Our school does ask parent's permission over and above the media release form for images used for advertising signage and information folders.

PrincessPeach
2 hours ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Do do know they don't publish the kid's full name, just their first name snd class? 

Our school does ask parent's permission over and above the media release form for images used for advertising signage and information folders.

Most of the times in our newsletter it’s the child’s first name & year level - so I assume that is what the parents have decided.

but I did find out on the weekend that at our school,  if the photo is being used externally (like in the newspaper), there is a separate permission form - my nephew won an award & it’s to be in the paper.

*bucket*

We signed the general thing okaying photos and first names everywhere, but when DS was to have a photo on an advertising board outside the school, we were asked separately for permission for that anyway. There were no names on that, just cute faces!

• Like 1