CookieCutter

Music for kids at night

CookieCutter

DD (6) has recently started night waking again. A good night is one wake up. A bad one is 4 or more, plus a meltdown. I’d like for her to be able to self settle again, or perhaps put some music on to help with going back to sleep.  I’m not keen on screens in her bedroom, nor headphones, which rules out listening to music via iPads, phones etc. What devices do other mums and dads use in their kids rooms at night? I’d like her to have the autonomy to turn on a sleep music playlist etc by herself (e.g. press one button).  Not sure if an old fashioned CD player is a good choice, or perhaps there’s a better techie option. Hit me up!

Crombek

We swear by Dinosnores in our house. It's a guided relaxation & soundscape. It goes on after lights out every single night and often again if there's a night wake up. Easily obtainable, Spotify, Apple music etc and there's lots of different ones e.g. cat, fairy, dinosaur, dragon etc. I just plop the ipad/laptop in the hallway so there's no screen in their room & play through the speaker (don't currently have an iPod type device lol).

• Like 1

MsLaurie

We have a $15ish CD player (from Target I think??) in Miss5’s room. She has a Frozen soundtrack she can put on if she wants. 

Riotproof

If you have a digital radio, the abc kids listen station is good. We just use an old iPhone for that. 

Babetty

We have a CD player in DD's room which you can also plug a USB into, so DH burnt a pile of CDs to the USB for a longer play time.  I blu-taked a lumpy small "gem" sticker on to the play button to make it easy for DD to find and press in the dark.

• Like 1

MissBehaving

I have a simple digital radio and leave ABC Kids on quietly.

• Like 1

CookieCutter

Thanks for the ideas. I’ll look into a digital radio, plus the CD/USB device. 

Jembo

We use a google mini in the kids rooms so there are no devices.  They can still listen to audio books, meditation, spotify and I can also control it from my phone if needed.  

smilinggirl

My daughter has a Lenovo smart clock. It is voice controlled so she can tell it what type of music to play and how long to play it for. I can also turn it off from my phone. I like it so much I am getting myself one.

• Like 1

Jenflea

DD has a cheap clock radio next to her bed. I have it set to  Classic FM(and have done since she was born) and it gets set to 90 minutes on the sleep timer, by which time she';s asleep. She can turn it on if she wakes during the night or early morning. 

Prancer is coming

DS has a digital radio for abc kids.  They play lullaby type music overnight.  He likes story time though.  He listens to it on my mobile phone.  But I have a screen lock with password, and the phone will keep playing she the lock is on.  So he can not access anything else.  Except the camera, but he got over the novelty of that.

Ellie bean

Dd has a google mini, you can set it to play relaxing sleep music all night. She likes playing pop songs through the day too, but she can be trusted not to play inappropriate stuff.