People

common goals of GC feminists and pro-trans folk

BadCat

I think the "bad at real life" dr trope might be a male thing.   I don't usually see it levelled at women.  And I think a lot of male Dr's probably earn it by being too caught up in "important things" to do some of the basics.  Female Dr's probably don't usually have that luxury.

• Like 7

purplekitty

It's an unrealistic stereotype.

• Like 2

Kallie88

Every international mens day i share a meme that basically says happy IMD, especially to LGBTIQA men, men with disabilities,men of color, etc.

Partly to remind men that they do have a damn day 🙄 and also because they also have levels of privilege and i think even here "men" tends to really mean straight white men, who face many less problems than the groups above. Those problems don't invalidate women's issues, but they do exist

• Like 3

kadoodle
1 hour ago, BadCat said:

I think the "bad at real life" dr trope might be a male thing.   I don't usually see it levelled at women.  And I think a lot of male Dr's probably earn it by being too caught up in "important things" to do some of the basics.  Female Dr's probably don't usually have that luxury.

One of my sisters is a dr, and she’s certainly expected to be able to cook without the help of a fire extinguisher. 

• Like 3

Datrys
18 hours ago, Lou-bags said:

I’m sure he doesn’t. He’s a man. His authority and skill levels and ‘right’ to be in the space is assumed. He’s not ever had his expertise questioned because of his sex. 

It sooo easy for a man to feel its unimportant to correct someone if they use the wrong title. 

There's some truth to this.  I'm not overly precious about my title, but the temptation is there in the face of constantly having people (mostly men) insist that you can't possibly hold that title or fulfill that role, that you're not really or validly what you claim, deliberately distort what you're called to be demeaning ("priestess" is not a thing in Christianity), and so on.  I understand why some of my female colleagues buy into the trappings of the role more than our male colleagues do (and even I do it in different ways); we have more to prove...

• Like 3

Bethlehem Babe
On 16/09/2020 at 9:50 PM, purpleblaze said:

Exactly, couldn't have put it better myself.  Clearly our society values boys above girls and we shouldn't dare emasculate boys with such things that are "girls" domain (inset eyeroll).

DS wanted a tshirt with sequins as DD has plenty but do you think I could find them?  About a year later I found a heap at H&M (still boy themed of course) but both boys love wearing them!  

How many girls are being given traditional male names yet you don’t hear of little boys being called “Lisa” “Elizabeth” “Mia” “Julie”

• Like 3

kadoodle
20 minutes ago, Bethlehem Babe said:

How many girls are being given traditional male names yet you don’t hear of little boys being called “Lisa” “Elizabeth” “Mia” “Julie”

DS2 gets called Jacky, which confuses quite a few people. They expect to see a little girl and instead see a little boy.

• Like 2

Bethlehem Babe
1 minute ago, kadoodle said:

DS2 gets called Jacky, which confuses quite a few people. They expect to see a little girl and instead see a little boy.

Today I played in a mixed game.  We had a male and female Nic and male and female jacks!

hoohoobump

Was out buying furniture today and thought of this thread ... 

Why, when they had my first name, last name, phone and email, did they need my title? What difference did it matter to my purchase and request for delivery? 

• Like 4