linen_and_lace

Can anyone ID this tree?

linen_and_lace

I’ve just moved to a new place, this tree is in the backyard. Does anyone know what it is? I’m thinking some kind of ornamental fruit??

Any tips on how to tidy it up?

Thanks 😊

B4EAAAE3-C63E-4FA3-83EE-F1B5C867E9D6.jpeg

95F193DE-2438-46E3-99AE-0A02E917D241.jpeg

DD52CDFA-0AEE-488F-8064-EF79941F1791.jpeg

6C1200CA-F41D-44FF-8D87-EC105DB61737.jpeg

hills mum bec

Looks like it could be a nectarine.

Zeppelina

Yes it looks like my peach/nectarine trees.

Ozquoll

Agree with PPs, peach/nectarine. Although surprising not to see any curly leaf on a neglected peach tree 🤔

Re tidying it up - it's got a reasonably good open vase shape already, just with parallel branches that are cluttering it up. So focus on removing those and leaving a framework of four strong branches in an open vase shape. I would trim those branches down to about 5-6 foot high, because climbing ladders to harvest fruit sux 😒. You could prune now, or if you wait and do a mid-summer prune that will reduce the vigour of regrowth the following season. Which is a good thing, because the tree won't get overgrown so quickly, and will put its efforts into fruiting rather than growing more leaves.

Edited by Ozquoll
  • Like 3

Bethlehem Babe
22 minutes ago, Ozquoll said:

Agree with PPs, peach/nectarine. Although surprising not to see any curly leaf on a neglected peach tree 🤔

Re tidying it up - it's got a reasonably good open vase shape already, just with parallel branches that are cluttering it up. So focus on removing those and leaving a framework of four strong branches in an open vase shape. I would trim those branches down to about 5-6 foot high, because climbing ladders to harvest fruit sux 😒. You could prune now, or if you wait and do a mid-summer prune that will reduce the vigour of regrowth the following season. Which is a good thing, because the tree won't get overgrown so quickly, and will put its efforts into fruiting rather than growing more leaves.

Oh this is great. Can you advise on my tree please?

2494F30C-E218-41B3-A1DD-61036959B78F.jpeg

800D6B3B-A420-44F8-B686-703F98898C00.jpeg

linen_and_lace

Thanks all.

Ozquoll, you're a gem, thank you for that guidance. This is a whole new forte for me, I'm used to growing herbs and tomatoes and the like!

So do you think it might get actual edible fruit?? That'd be exciting, the little ones would love it!

Ozquoll
2 hours ago, Bethlehem Babe said:

Oh this is great. Can you advise on my tree please?

Eeek, so much pressure 🥺!! 😄

Um, I'll have a go anyway....if you don't want it for shade, I'd trim it right back to 5-6 foot high to make harvest and disease control easier. Make sure there's no crossed branches or twigs and that sunlight can reach the centre. Don't be afraid to prune hard, if you make a mistake it'll grow back in a year or two! The left-most solid branch in the top pic is perhaps too close to the main branch - might be worth lopping it off and letting the tree divert more resources to one of the thin branches lower down that are better spaced. Take a few years for the chosen branch to thicken up, but you'd end up with a more balanced looking tree with good airflow and access to sunlight on all branches. 

Ozquoll
19 minutes ago, linen_and_lace said:

So do you think it might get actual edible fruit?? That'd be exciting, the little ones would love it!

Maybe, depends what the tree turns out to be 🤔. It might be something like a flowering peach (my Dad used to grow them) which gives a beautiful floral display but no fruit. Can you see any stone pits on the ground under the tree? There's usually at least a few if the tree has produced fruit in the last few years. 

linen_and_lace

Hmm, no stone pits that I can see. Oh well, it's got pretty flowers nonetheless. We'll see!

Thanks again. Off to Bunnings for a pruner :)

blackcat20
19 minutes ago, linen_and_lace said:

Hmm, no stone pits that I can see. Oh well, it's got pretty flowers nonetheless. We'll see!

Thanks again. Off to Bunnings for a pruner :)

Dont prune it now, it should be done over winter when it's bare.

Ozquoll
2 minutes ago, blackcat20 said:

Dont prune it now, it should be done over winter when it's bare.

Summer (or spring in this case) pruning has its place. It can reduce the vigour of the tree in the next growing season, but this is often a good thing when you want to discourage vegetative growth and encourage fruiting. 

https://www.organicgardener.com.au/blogs/summer-prune-fruit-trees

• Like 3

linen_and_lace

Fruiting!?! Very interested to see what it turns out to be. I have pruned pretty hard - only to where I could reach with a step ladder - weeded around the base, added some compost to the soil, fertilised and mulched. Fingers crossed it liked all the attention. Looks good at the moment :)

I did actually find about 4 stone pits in amongst the carpet of weeds. 

F9D38ED7-FF74-409C-B9EF-913A1A46D1FC.jpeg

• Like 1

hmmph

Looks a bit like a loquat. Fruits are edible, but not much flesh. Excellent branches for making a treehouse in when you're a kid 😊

• Like 1