Cimbom

Do you have shaker style cupboards?

Cimbom

I'm trying to decide between two style of kitchen cupboards - they are very similar but one has a 2mm face profile on the door and the other is 5mm. I was leaning towards the 5mm but just wanted to check with others who may have or like this style.

5mm profile: https://www.tesrol.com.au/project/design-593-ep3s/

2mm profile: https://www.tesrol.com.au/project/design-502-ep3s/

Lucrezia Bauble

hi - we do, I love the look of them. TBH I couldn’t tell much difference between the 2 profiles you posted - is it how deep in set it is? ours might be 5 mm.....you do have to clean them - the ledge that’s formed (sorry - don’t know how else to describe it!) does attract a bit of dust and grime. but it’s no biggie - i really like the design, really clean and classic lines.

Edited by Lucrezia Bauble
  • Like 4

~Jolly_F~

Yes I do and I hate them. The ledge p*sses me off. I prefer flat. 

• Like 1

Cimbom

I have read that they can be a bit tricky to clean, especially in the corners so the smaller ledge may be better then?

Lucrezia Bauble

a smaller ledge would be easier to clean, yes.

• Like 1

Mose

Yes.  The corners are tricky to clean.  My household cleanliness standards are low and even I notice they get a bit blergh quickly and the corners can be near impossible to deal with.

I wouldn't install them myself.

• Like 2

Cimbom

Wow I'm surprised by how much they're not liked. I'm not a fan of the super-modern sleek look and thought these were more warm and cosy. I thought the ornate styles with multiple levels of ledge would be annoying to clean but presumed these would be fine lol 🤔

~Jolly_F~

I don’t know that the smaller ledge would be better. Mine is pretty small and I hate them. I don’t think they are warm and cosy or classic.  Guess it’s just personal preference, I am all about minimal cleaning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

eponee

I have these in my kitchen and love the look of them.  I have no idea how big the ledge is, but I agree that they are a pain in the a*se to keep clean, particularly in white.  I have charcoal drawers and cupboards on the island bench and white floor to ceiling cupboards elsewhere in the kitchen and have found that a bit of dust/grime etc on the charcoal isnt as noticeable as it is on the white

• Like 1

Hands Up

We have similar. I really like them and don’t find they get that  dirty? I’m not a clean freak though. I probably clean them once a month with the Dyson vac. We have the narrow ledge.

• Like 1

can'tstayaway

I’ve had them. Like PPs, the ledge is a pain to clean.  

A nice compromise is having a slightly beveled edge so it’s easy to wipe over with not tough corners to clean.  

• Like 2

Lesley225

I much prefer them to plain front.  I couldn't really tell the difference between the two.

CUrrently i have cupboards which have multi vertical boards on then 

• Like 1

CrankyM

A curve or beveled look would be better (my personal opinion). In saying that it probably depends on where you live. If you lived in my area it would be hell no. Because of the type of area and dirt here, dust gets in and it gets everywhere extremely quick. I mean I could dust (which I loath) and within 4 hours there will another layer of dust! 

Or err go dark so the grime can't be seen :whistle: I'm all for as little cleaning as possible and dusty ledges on cupboard in the kitchen would annoy me. It's bad enough have to wipe cupboard doors down every other month as it is due to stupid red dirt.

• Like 1

Jenflea

I have plain flat fronted white cupboards in my kitchen and they're enough of a pain as it is, I couldn't imagine a ledge, which is a shame because when I do my kitchen i REALLY want shaker style! 

I do have cheap laminate though which I suspect grabs every bit of dust and grime and clings to it for dear life. 

I am thinking of going grey next time though. 

• Like 1

Sentient Puddle

I have shaker style, no idea if 2 or 5 mm. I love them, give them a wipe over once a week. If you spill something down the cupboard front it will be visible on the ledge but it will be visible on the door front anyway.

• Like 2

hills mum bec
49 minutes ago, Jenflea said:

I have plain flat fronted white cupboards in my kitchen and they're enough of a pain as it is, I couldn't imagine a ledge, which is a shame because when I do my kitchen i REALLY want shaker style! 

I do have cheap laminate though which I suspect grabs every bit of dust and grime and clings to it for dear life. 

I am thinking of going grey next time though. 

We have plain white laminate as well and I hate how dirty they get.  We are planning a kitchen upgrade at the moment and are going for a very dark grey (asphalt) colour for our cabinets.  Definitely not going shaker style as it just creates another edge for dust to settle.

• Like 2

seayork2002

I love shaker kitchens but agree with the pps about cleaning etc.

• Like 1

can'tstayaway

We have Japanned oak cabinet doors in that shaker style. They are essentially black and they show up dust and mess more than the white 2 pac cabinets.  Sigh.  Bad choice for someone who hates cleaning.  Especially bad choice because we stopped using cleaners after the reno to try and get the kids involved and teach them cleaning skills 😂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22Fruitmincepies

That last one you linked should be quite a bit cheaper than the first two. We are putting in shaker doors, the potential for cleaning issues hasn’t put me off. It seems that all of them can be annoying in some way or other! 

• Like 1

Cimbom

Yep it's cheaper but I think I like the others a bit more lol

can'tstayaway
29 minutes ago, Cimbom said:

Thanks, it's really interesting to read the varying reviews. I was initially considering this one too but keep changing my mind: https://www.tesrol.com.au/project/design-275-ep3s/ 

Is that one grooved into a flat panel?  

If so, when wiping down the doors, the gunk gets pushed into the grooves and it accumulates and gets hard if you don’t clean the grooves immediately.  

Don’t ask how I know 😂 

• Like 3

Cimbom
7 minutes ago, can'tstayaway said:

Is that one grooved into a flat panel?  

If so, when wiping down the doors, the gunk gets pushed into the grooves and it accumulates and gets hard if you don’t clean the grooves immediately.  

Don’t ask how I know 😂 

That was at the bottom of the list anyway so that rules it out fully :lol:

can'tstayaway

I had a flashback of cleaning those wretched cupboard fronts with bamboo toothpicks and skewers when I opened the link.  Brrrrrggh

• Haha 1

22Fruitmincepies
42 minutes ago, Cimbom said:

Yep it's cheaper but I think I like the others a bit more lol

That’s the conclusion I came to too.