Chelli

COVID-19 coronavirus thread #8

PrincessPeach
5 hours ago, can'tstayaway said:

As mentioned, sewerage testing can’t differentiate between active cases and those who have recovered, are no longer contagious but still shedding the virus.

There is a high likelihood that those who had been overseas skiing at the start of the Covid pandemic and now recovered from Covid, may have been skiing on the NSW slopes.

Re the cargo ship with Covid positive crew off Qld, NZ contacted Qld as soon as they identified their positive case.  Qld knee about the potential for the positive cases prior the ship arriving in Qld waters and I believe Qld Health have been taking a cautious approach to all cargo ships anyway.

Have they let the ship dock yet? Last I heard was qld health had forced it to anchor at sea off Mooloolaba.

but for the NSW example of COVID in sewage, there are a lot of patients in hospital & even more in hotel quarantine with COVID, how can they know it’s just not them being the cause of it?

born.a.girl
5 minutes ago, PrincessPeach said:

but for the NSW example of COVID in sewage, there are a lot of patients in hospital & even more in hotel quarantine with COVID, how can they know it’s just not them being the cause of it?

I don't know about NSW, but Allen Cheng in Victoria said it was too soon to even be thinking about Melbourne, given the many hundreds of active cases we had only weeks ago, may still be shedding dead virus, and as clever as the sewage testing is, it can't differentiate between live and dead Covid.  That's why, at the moment, it's mainly being used in country Victoria.

• Like 1

Julie3Girls
26 minutes ago, PrincessPeach said:

Well, this particular one is in Bathurst, not Sydney. They knew the area that feeds into particular sewage processing/outlets.  Bathurst doesn’t have hotel quarantine, and I don’t think patients in hospital.   It is because they don’t know of any cases in the vicinity that they are urging people to test, in case it is undiagnosed cases in the area.    That said, it could be an old case, particularly with people there for the car race on the weekend.

• Like 3

Lou-bags

Oh dear. Gladys is getting absolutely slammed on social media by West Aussies over her comments about asking for the 7 or 8 million we apparently owe NSW. And McGowan is not happy. She also claims 35 mill is owed to NSW by QLD. 

I do recall that there was an in principle agreement (perhaps more solid than that?) that states would pay other states for their own residents - I wonder if this has been reneged on, or if there is a disagreement over how this should be done. And I wonder if NSW has paid other states for their returnees?

• Like 1

can'tstayaway

It should all have been paid for by the Feds as a Biosecurity issue (international hotel quarantine and cargo ships) and the pot of money for distribution to states to be reduced.

• Like 4

purplekitty

Poland.

• Sad 8