Take care everyone. 

Chelli

leosmum

Oooooh gold!!!!!

Cheesy Sanga

Silver! 

NWO
07/09/2020 at 11:50 PM, got my tinsel on said:

Well I guess that's a reflection of the kind of people you hang out with/deal with.

I'm in Sydney and I don't know anyone who is preening - discreetly or otherwise.  Me, my family and my friends are sh*t-scared that Sydney will have more outbreaks and even more scared the outbreaks will be in the areas we live in.  Our lives are not all that much improved since Stage 3 restrictions finished.  I haven't seen one of my closest friends since Feb despite her living less than 1km away.  Because she has her elderly mother  living with her, we decided way back when restrictions lifted that it was simply not worth taking the risk.  I'm out once per week for food shopping and any other essentials and that's it.  No dining out, no coffee catch-ups, no nothing for me and my family.

You're probably communicating with the kind of person who was gloating on twitter tonight that because he's in Sydney he spent the weekend dining out, going to the pub and out on the harbour on his boat.  Absolute a*s*hole and just the kind of person that spreads covid because he's swanning about despite NSW Health recommending that people don't go out to multiple venues and limit activities.

Touche to your first sentence but it was in the context of work conference calls with people from different states and the interstate banter that goes along with that. The guys in Perth are currently the worst at rubbing the Vic guys noses in it actually.  The Sydney team has churned more over the past few months but they are always full of themselves anyway.  That is why I mentioned having lived in Sydney for a long time - gives me cred to judge them - Sydneysiders do think they are the best in Australia, best Cap City, best State, best fashion, best houses, best bridge, best views, best harbour (well that is a given) - and before anyone comes back with a story about how they, or their family and or friends live in Sydney (or any other place other than Vic) and don't think like that - I acknowledge I am generalising very very much ... but most of them do.

NWO

@got my tinsel on I just read again the rest of your post.

1. Yes, preening .. not a good word to use. Just the look of those NSW boys sometimes and their whole attitude ... like peacocks is probably what I was thinking last night after a couple of meads. It is just a guy thing anyway so I don't expect you to know anyone "who is preening - discreetly or otherwise. " :) 

2. Not sure why "Me, my family and my friends are sh*t-scared that Sydney will have more outbreaks and even more scared the outbreaks will be in the areas we live in" feel that way? Do you think it is rational?

3. You could see your friend without risking her Mother's health though. And do dining out, coffee catch-ups and stuff with your family if you wanted to right? You are choosing not to based on the perceived risk I presume (which is absolutely your prerogative)

4.  Not sure but probably not  -  know the a**hole on twitter on his boat in Sydney.

got my tinsel on

Yes I am choosing not to catch up with my friend because her elderly mother has a chronic respiratory condition and well, I wouldn't want to contract covid on my weekly shopping 'spree' (despite wearing mask, social distancing and sanitizing at every opportunity) then inadvertently  passing it to my friend and then onto her mother).  People in their mid 80s aren't known for successfully beating off covid.

Yes, we are scared because unlike you, I'm not a spring chicken.  Nor is my DH.  My daughter is very much a spring chicken but she's at home studying and would also prefer not to contract covid and be responsible for passing it to her father or me.  Funny that.

Today's news brought us info that shopping centres in my area are listed as having had a covid+ person/s.  Fortunately for us, we've been sticking to the shopping centre closest to us as it has everything we generally need, so we aren't affected (fingers crossed), but earlier in the pandemic, our local shopping centre did have covid+ there and my suburb was classified as a hotspot (Sydney's Stage 3 restriction period).

Only a couple of weeks ago, my bus route had a covid+ driver - I don't drive so catch the bus.  I can tell you, my heart was beating very fast when I read it - because it was the day and time I normally catch the bus to the shopping centre, but because of a disruption to our schedule that week (DH changing his work from home day), I didn't go shopping that day.  Even though I take all the precautions I can, and I sit on a particular bus seat that means I don't have to touch anything with my hands to get in or out of the seat, and I wear a mask (of course) , there is always a chance of catching the virus.  The reason I catch the bus at that particular time is that it generally has only a handful of passengers on it - have never seen more than 5 passengers.  Earlier buses are much busier and despite requests from the NSW Govt and NSW Transport that passengers wear masks on public transport less than 50% do so the fewer people on the bus, the less chance there is for an unmasked person to be in close proximity to me.

See NWO, I don't want to die yet.  And I may very well die, if I'm brutally honest with myself I probably would, if I catch the virus.  So while we're choosing to restrict our lives because of covid, we feel it's better than losing our lives.

Edited by got my tinsel on
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

NWO

n 07/09/2020 at 11:14 PM, purplekitty said:

You set the bar depressingly low for leadership in the time of a global crisis.

Real leaders step up, think world wars, when decisions are huge,difficult and have enormous repercussions.

We really do get the government we deserve.

Give some examples of these real leaders who stepped up during world wars. Did any of them have no part in their country entering the war or may have ended it earlier with out politics playing a part? There have been over 100,000 Australians who died as a result of war (direct result actually, probably a few thousand more when they got home) and 770 so far from Covid. Your analogy is a little dramatic.

We have the government we had when this war started, not much anyone can do about that now, and it will take time before we can look back and say who made the better decisions (always with hindsight) or what the repercussions of decisions made were.

NWO
2 minutes ago, got my tinsel on said:

Yes I am choosing not to catch up with my friend because her elderly mother has a chronic respiratory condition and well, I wouldn't want to contract covid on my weekly shopping 'spree' (despite wearing mask, social distancing and sanitizing at every opportunity) then inadvertently  passing it to my friend and then onto her mother).  People in their mid 80s aren't known for successfully beating off covid.

Yes, we are scared because unlike you, I'm not a spring chicken.  Nor is my DH.  My daughter is very much a spring chicken but she's at home studying and would also prefer not to contract covid and be responsible for passing it to her father or me.  Funny that.

Today's news brought us info that shopping centres in my area are listed as having had a covid+ person/s.  Fortunately for us, we've been sticking to the shopping centre closest to us as it has everything we generally need, so we aren't affected (fingers crossed), but earlier in the pandemic, our local shopping centre did have covid+ there and my suburb was classified as a hotspot (Sydney's Stage 3 restriction period).

Only a couple of weeks ago, my bus route had a covid+ driver - I don't drive so catch the bus.  I can tell you, my heart was beating very fast when I read it - because it was the day and time I normally catch the bus to the shopping centre, but because of a disruption to our schedule that week (DH changing his work from home day), I didn't go shopping that day.  Even though I take all the precautions I can, and I sit on a particular bus seat that means I don't have to touch anything with my hands to get in or out of the seat, and I wear a mask (of course) , there is always a chance of catching the virus.

See NWO, I don't want to die yet.  And I may very well die, if I catch the virus.  So while we're choosing to restrict our lives because of covid, we feel it's better than losing our lives .

Ok, I get it and I don't want you or anyone else to die either .. or me (and I am no spring chicken btw) but I am not sure about the rational behind your concerns and perceived risk. Even in Melbourne people can meet other people within a 5km radius and walk next to them for 1 hours (for example) - So you could sit n a park bench next to your friend (1.5m apart) and wear masks if you wanted to and chat / connect with no risk.

Anyway - you do what you need to do - no justification required. When history looks back in 5 yrs time it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

• Like 2

purplekitty
52 minutes ago, NWO said:

Give some examples of these real leaders who stepped up during world wars. Did any of them have no part in their country entering the war or may have ended it earlier with out politics playing a part? There have been over 100,000 Australians who died as a result of war (direct result actually, probably a few thousand more when they got home) and 770 so far from Covid. Your analogy is a little dramatic.

We have the government we had when this war started, not much anyone can do about that now, and it will take time before we can look back and say who made the better decisions (always with hindsight) or what the repercussions of decisions made were.

Have you ever studied any Australian History,sometimes I don't think so.

You might look up John Curtin.

• Like 3

NWO
5 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

Have you ever studied any Australian History,sometimes I don't think so.

You might look up John Curtin.

Not really, you would be right there - I did think you were referring to real leaders during world wars in a more global sense rather than one example of an Australian PM in the 1940s - Seems like he did a good job at the time though.

~Jolly_F~

Just pulling up a chair 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Ernegirl

Yet again I am thankful that the default response across Australia has been circumspect.  The UK is still playing musical chairs with policy and advice. It's unrealistic for a society to function with such a stop-start chaos unless you get on top of the problem from the outset, which the UK blithely didn't do. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54081131

• Like 1

Just Another Cat

I think years from now people will look back with admiration and respect for the leaders that made the hard, unpopular decisions for the greater good. 

Think John Howard and the gun law reform.  Similar to DA in the way he faced harsh criticism from a minority. Not many share the sentiments of the gun lobby these days.

“But the Sporting Shooters Association, which claims a membership of up to 50,000, condemned the ban as "one of the greatest infringements on the liberties of individuals in Australia's history". The national president, Mr Ted Drane, condemning Mr Howard as a fool, said shooters would be prepared to spend up to $1 million to campaign against the proposed new laws.”

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theage.com.au/national/from-the-archives-1996-tough-gun-laws-introduced-throughout-australia-20190503-p51jxb.html 

• Like 12

JRA

Only in Qld

"The irony is if I was invited to a wedding this weekend to attend with my wife and I wanted to dance with her there, then I wouldn't be allowed to," he said.

"But if we decided to go to a sex club and swap partners with some people who we don't know where they're from or who they really are, that's OK."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-09/covid-rules-allow-sex-parties-but-wedding-dances-banned/12637640

• Haha 7

Hope28

The Oxford vaccine trial has been paused while an adverse reaction from one of the participants is investigated (source: Guardian blog). I'm finding it encouraging to hear that the safety response has been so robust - although I am also expecting the anti-vaxxers to leap on this as "proof" of how evil vaccines are. 

Best wishes to the person who is unwell, wishing them a speedy recovery. 

• Like 6

can'tstayaway
38 minutes ago, JRA said:

Only in Qld

Yep, we’re a special bunch up here 🤣

Im guessing that there are fewer people who attend sex clubs each year than dance at weddings. 

We’ve been making Footloose jokes in our house about how dancing is banned. Our children are thoroughly sick of us quoting lines from the movie 🤣   But there is rationale behind the restrictions and we completely support them. 

There was a spontaneous dance party in a kebab shop in Brisbane a few weeks ago...

PuddingPlease
23 minutes ago, can'tstayaway said:

Yep, we’re a special bunch up here 🤣

Im guessing that there are fewer people who attend sex clubs each year than dance at weddings. 

Not to mention, 2-4 people meeting up for sex seems far easier to track and trace than 20 people dancing in an enclosed space at a boozy event.

The fact that the fellow in the article has managed to acquire a grand total of 300 signatures for his petition suggests most people aren't overly concerned.

• Haha 2

JRA
42 minutes ago, PuddingPlease said:

Not to mention, 2-4 people meeting up for sex seems far easier to track and trace than 20 people dancing in an enclosed space at a boozy event.

The fact that the fellow in the article has managed to acquire a grand total of 300 signatures for his petition suggests most people aren't overly concerned.

And of course, if you are going and having sex with strangers surely you know you are opening yourself to a high risk environment. I think most people "stupidly" think going and being with family / friends at a wedding is safer

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

IamzFeralz
1 hour ago, Hope28 said:

The Oxford vaccine trial has been paused while an adverse reaction from one of the participants is investigated (source: Guardian blog). I'm finding it encouraging to hear that the safety response has been so robust - although I am also expecting the anti-vaxxers to leap on this as "proof" of how evil vaccines are. 

Best wishes to the person who is unwell, wishing them a speedy recovery. 

Apparently vaccine trial pauses are quite routine and it takes a couple of weeks for them to investigate if the adverse event is a correlation or a causation by the vaccine. 

• Like 3

Soontobegran
10 hours ago, NWO said:

So you could sit n a park bench next to your friend (1.5m apart) and wear masks if you wanted to and chat / connect with no risk.

No you can't. Not with no risk.

Edited by Soontobegran

Ruf~Feral~es

I know I shouldn't be surprised.  in fact, I shouldn't even go on the news.com website....... but how on earth can they consider this "Sutton throwing Andrews under the bus".  Shock interview indeed.  My shock is that they managed to spin it this way.  And "fury over bombshell"?  Seriously???

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-victoria-brett-sutton-says-he-did-not-recommend-curfew/news-story/43e246ebaf7e5a63286084209d0f0291

All he really says is that the decision for lockdown was made at a different Govt level from his, but that he didn't disagree with it - he didn't really think about it, but if he did, he would probably have made the same decision....

• Like 7

*Andi*
Just now, Ruf~Feral~es said:

I know I shouldn't be surprised.  in fact, I shouldn't even go on the news.com website....... but how on earth can they consider this "Sutton throwing Andrews under the bus".  Shock interview indeed.  My shock is that they managed to spin it this way.  And "fury over bombshell"?  Seriously???

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-victoria-brett-sutton-says-he-did-not-recommend-curfew/news-story/43e246ebaf7e5a63286084209d0f0291

All he really says is that the decision for lockdown was made at a different Govt level from his, but that he didn't disagree with it - he didn't really think about it, but if he did, he would probably have made the same decision....

Ugh yes, the news last night was reporting a 'rift' between Andrews and Sutton because Sutton said on radio the curfew wasn't his advice. Well duh, of course it's a police matter. 

• Like 4

*Andi*
16 minutes ago, Soontobegran said:

No you can't.

PP is in Sydney I think. 

• Like 1

Soontobegran
18 minutes ago, *Andi* said:

PP is in Sydney I think. 

I will edit.

• Like 1

Julie3Girls

Ok, so NSW just released new rules for HSC - regarding cleaning, limiting hsc exams to 75 in one exam location.
i get that they are trying to keep them safe during the exams, but I admit I don’t quite see the need.

Yr12 just sat their trial exams. Without any major incidents. Our yr11 have their yearly exams next week, all in the hall

Most schools run the exams in the school hall, with everyone in there. And now it is suddenly unsafe? For exams like English, where pretty much the whole Year group sits the exam, you are looking at more than 75 kids at a lot of schools, so they now have to find a second location?  Which is isolated from the rest of the school, to minimise contact between hsc students and the rest of the school (COVID reason) as well as avoiding disruption of class changes etc.  means another venue to clean, oh, and apparently they need an alternate venue on standby?   Not sure where the schools are meant to be finding all these extra spaces for hsc exams? 
These kids are together in classrooms, interacting at school, and now they can’t have them in one large space, seated at spaced out desks? 
Just seems like a lot of stress and reorganisation for the schools, for little benefit.

• Like 4