literally nobody

New diet thread..

caitiri

Oh lol I have plenty of ideas, my problem is actually doing them. I was hoping that being on a really strict diet would be enough for me to see some movement in the numbers,  but I think I’d have to go down to 600-800 calories which I know I wouldn’t be able to do.  

• Sad 1

literally nobody

omg this is driving me nuts.. i have plateaued.. i just hate it. ok doesn’t help weighing myself so many times.. 

blue86

I think for some weighing everyday is killer, for others it’s key. I weigh and record everyday, but I only look at the moving average (I use happy scale app for this). “Weighing in” on a set day each week doesn’t allow for normal fluctuations around cycles and how regular you are (which I am not currently) and it can be very disheartening to see a “gain” just because the  day you weigh in is a spike, rather than a dip. Weighing daily and seeing the average is way more motivating for me personally (once you get over seeing 1-2kg jumps some days). Similar to COVID numbers, it’s more about the trend rather than the individual data points 

• Like 3

Etcetera

Is the Happy Scale app for Android or apple? I can't seem to find it.

I weigh every day, I find it motivates me, though it helps to really know your cycles etc. 

• Like 1

born.a.girl
4 hours ago, blue86 said:

I think for some weighing everyday is killer, for others it’s key. I weigh and record everyday, but I only look at the moving average (I use happy scale app for this). “Weighing in” on a set day each week doesn’t allow for normal fluctuations around cycles and how regular you are (which I am not currently) and it can be very disheartening to see a “gain” just because the  day you weigh in is a spike, rather than a dip. Weighing daily and seeing the average is way more motivating for me personally (once you get over seeing 1-2kg jumps some days). Similar to COVID numbers, it’s more about the trend rather than the individual data points 

Absolutely.   I always say if you took 20 people, there'd be 20 different methods that work for them.

Since I sold my business four years ago, my weight has has been on a yo-yo of around 5 - 6 kilos.  Given I've got mild high blood pressure (with a history of nearly 20 years of severe), borderline cholesterol, and now borderline pre-diabetes, I've got every reason to stay a normal weight. Right now I'm only just into the overweight range, but I don't want to be anywhere near it.

With my business I had about ten weeks were I was so physically busy that the combo of work and missing meals meant I could slowly regain that weight over the year, now it's only one way.

The only time it starts to creep up, is when I stop weighing myself daily.  I have both fluid and salt imbalances (separate conditions) so my weight can vary significantly daily, so that doesn't help, but I'm used to it after many decades, and look at the trend.

For the next person, that would be the worst thing they could do.

I also start wearing my smaller clothes as soon as I can get into them - reminds me that I'm not there yet.  My sister on the other hand feels like giving up ('I'm still overweight'), yet the loose clothes reinforce how well she's doing.   I just think there's room for another biscuit. 🤣

So far I've ditched 2 - 3kg of the 7 or so I've gained since Christmas, but with Victoria's fantastic numbers today I had a second croissant with ham & cheese, and had three Mcvitties chocolate coated biscuits.  Take that scales!   Re-set tomorrow morning. 

Good luck everyone.

• Like 1

blue86
1 hour ago, Etcetera said:

Is the Happy Scale app for Android or apple? I can't seem to find it.

I weigh every day, I find it motivates me, though it helps to really know your cycles etc. 

I have an iPhone so it’s definitely on there. 
App Store Link

4*shining*stars

I am 2 weeks in to calorie counting and exercise.

I have lost 2.5kg and 4cm from my waist circumference! I am stoked!

I certainly havent been denying myself anything, I still go out for meals and have take away once a week. I am just conscious of what other foods I am eating that day! Depending on how many calories I have left after dinner is to whether I have 1 row of Kit Kat, a small bowl of ice cream  or an apple  :) 

I have another 9 kg's to go, so hopefully they will continue to go like they have in the first couple of weeks.

• Like 4

Green Sage

I’m starting a diet too. I hate diets. So I’m making it as simple as possible by buying pre made meals. It’s expensive, but the only way I’ll bother to do it. The plan is to buy dinner and lunch meals. Which seems to add up to roughly 800 calories. Which leaves me another 700 to cover breakfast and snacks. I’m not a big breakfast eater, so it will mostly be snacks.

im hoping to lose 2-5kg in a month. So, slow weight loss. I can’t do rapid, I get too hungry.

ive gained 2-3kg over this recent lockdown and it’s annoying me. Need to loose them fast before they become permanent.

• Like 1

DirtyStreetPie

Wow, well done @4*shining*stars!

I haven't lost a thing... but I also haven't gained anything either, so that's good.

One of my impediments is tiredness. I'm very, very, tired lately. Like, exhausted for no reason. But I get it's a cycle I need to break. 

I also have an insane inability to control my cravings for sugar/carbs. If it's in the house, it gets eaten. So as long as it's not in the house, it's okay. My husband was like this too, but he's on medication that seems to have stopped it (as a side-effect). He must be the only person in Melbourne who has actually lost weight during lockdown, the son of a gun lol.

Anyway, I'm going to go look at the elliptical trainer and think about exercise. 😛

Edited by DirtyStreetPie

caitiri

I read my last message and thought ffs I need to motivate myself.  Went on a nice walk today.  I’m aiming for 40 mins 4 times in the next week which will be really difficult because DH is at work all week and I have the kids, who are really resistant to leaving the house at the moment.  if I can do it this week then there is no reason I can’t do it every week so here goes.

@DirtyStreetPie  The last time I saw my GP she commented that tiredness/exhaustion is really common at the moment, maybe something to do with stress and being on alert all the time.

• Like 1

Etcetera
17 hours ago, blue86 said:

I have an iPhone so it’s definitely on there. 
App Store Link

Thanks, I have an android phone but downloaded on my iPad. 

Another 100g down :)

• Like 1

a letter to Elise.

Can I join in? 

I signed up for Noom this week. I started trying to lose weight in June. Lost 3kg, then had surgery and put a couple back on as I was very sedentary for about 5 weeks. 

part of it is weight gain due to health issues, part is Covid  belly. But I really need to get the weight off, as I’m 44, and had gestational diabetes twice. I am hoping to avoid type 2 diabetes. 

I’m aiming to lose about 8kg. I already do from 7000 - 10000 steps just during my usual day, so I’m hoping more concentrated focus on my diet and portion sizes will do the trick. 

• Like 1