literally nobody

New diet thread..

literally nobody

Anyone trying to shed any weight put on during covid? how much did you put on? Im finding the ONLY diet is clean eating where i see results.. staying on track is hard. Vegetables are just boring tbh. 

• Like 1

Dustyblue

I'm thinking about it, slowly! I put on about 6kg, which sure isn't that much in the scheme of things, but I can't shift it without some work. Which I haven't done :)

Vegetables aren't boring if you slather them in butter, that's the problem.

Am trying to get back into salads. It's a start I suppose?

literally nobody
19 minutes ago, Dustyblue said:

I'm thinking about it, slowly! I put on about 6kg, which sure isn't that much in the scheme of things, but I can't shift it without some work. Which I haven't done :)

Vegetables aren't boring if you slather them in butter, that's the problem.

Am trying to get back into salads. It's a start I suppose?

A start is better than nothing:) i don’t mind salads etc but i get bored very quickly.. and to me salad is more do-able in spring/summer. I have been doing yoga and reformer pilates for about 6 weeks now- im surprised im actually enjoying it! i never last long anywhere:D

Im trying to lose weight i put on the last 3 years, so 12kg is what i need to get off. 

Edited by literally nobody
adding more info
  • Like 1

CrankyM

Vegetables can be interesting you just need to add a bit of flavor or do something a bit different. Salads especially don't have to be your boring basics. I do things like keep aside roast veg that I might do one night and then toss these in with some spinach leaves, a sprinkle of Parmesan and some good balsamic vinegar (or malt vinegar or apple cider vinegar for a different flavour. Mix it with some djon mustard for a zing). You can add all sorts of things and call it a salad. Heck mine don't even have lettuce most of the time because I hate it.

Roasted cauliflower and cumin seed or caraway seed, a bit of fetta, some spring onions, sweet corn kernels and some thin bits of capsicum. Sometimes a chopped up boiled egg (I'm not really a person who likes egg unless it's fried with bacon or in a cake...)

Tomato, fresh basil, Parmesan, balsamic vinegar then toss in chunks of roasted pumpkin

I love sweet potato, baby spinach, fetta and chive salad

Mum used to make a butter bean, tuna, chive salad with cumin, paprika and mustard. So good.

If you are not avoiding carbs toss in some pasta, rice, or noodles. I like an asian rice noodle salad with lots of broccoli, capsicum, spring onions, chives and a dressing of soy and sweet chili sauce (not too much). I might chuck in some chicken or beef if I have it.

My downfall is sugar. I love anything sweet and even though I live somewhere where we haven't had Covid for a while I've been eating too much of it lately due to stress.

Edited by CrankyM
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

literally nobody

thanks CrankyM for some ideas.! i’ll just have to be faster than DH to get any leftover roast etc - he packs it all up for his work lunch! 

Froyo

I've been tracking food intake and exercising since May. During this time I've been focusing on body condition rather than weight- I had a 23kg weight loss in 2014/2015 by improving my relationship with food and regular exercise, which began with daily walking. 

This is me at the moment. I've been doing a strength program using resistance bands and cardio (bike/ running/elliptical). Not bad for 48, I don't think! 😆

curvywhirl_20200821_112904_0.jpg

Edited by Froyo
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

literally nobody

Wow Froyo you look fantastic!! 

• Like 4

Froyo
12 minutes ago, literally nobody said:

Wow Froyo you look fantastic!! 

Thanks! I'm feeling so much fitter and stronger 😊

• Like 4

caitiri

I put on about 7kgs in lockdown 1. Since stage 4 I’ve been trying to go the other way, feels like a long process, but I have a lot to lose so it will be a long journey.

literally nobody

I had put it on all pre Covid.. was at the beach in early January with the family and i felt absolutely disgusting.. I cringe when i look at the photos. Since then i have lost nearly 7kgs so only 12 to go. 

• Like 1

Hypnic Jerk

Froyo, that's good for 21.

I'm up.  I haven't been on the scales but I'd estimate I've put on 3-4kg.  Doens't sound like much but pre-covid in Jan I'd signed up to Noom in an attempt to lose the 10 I'd already gained.

I head says it doesn't matter, and I'm happy with my body, but then I see my neck, and I recoil when I see photos of myself.  I don't want to be the person who won't be photographed with their kids but it seems I already am.

Redchick2

@Froyo you look fantastic! Love your focus on strength not just weight loss. 

I haven’t been on the scale but there is about 7kg I’d like to lose. I’m using a good tracking app which has really mad me aware of what I am eating and it means I can factor in treats pretty regularly (but only have one or a smaller size). It’s also really helped with portion sizes -I’ve been measuring/weighing amounts and it has really helped me. 

salads don’t generally thrill me other but I do find the bags of mixed salads (usually come with dressing) from the supermarket mean I don’t need to think about it much. I don’t use all the dressing but just a little for taste (usually with roast chicken breast). Homemade vegetable soup is another good option - I include some sort of legume and it’s really satisfying. 

• Like 2

22Fruitmincepies

I’m 5kg down, 5-8 to go. It’s odd, I now look in the mirror and think I look fabulous, but photos look terrible. The weight loss is mostly for health reasons, my arthritic joints need as little extra weight on them as possible. 

• Like 2

literally nobody
22 hours ago, 22Fruitmincepies said:

I’m 5kg down, 5-8 to go. It’s odd, I now look in the mirror and think I look fabulous, but photos look terrible. The weight loss is mostly for health reasons, my arthritic joints need as little extra weight on them as possible. 

omg i feel the same thing about photos! i seriously cringe when i look at them. 

I seem to have plateaud at the moment- it’s so frustrating. I just want to end the year lighter and feeling better than last new years. 

spelling

DirtyStreetPie

May I please join in? I put on 3kg in Term 4 last year (it was busy and stressful), and another five during lockdown. So I've got about 8kg to shift. The reason I really need to do this is because I was recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I just know I'm going to 'graduate' to Type 2 if I don't change my lifestyle.

During lockdown, I've been far too sedentary, and my diet has also suffered. I know I am capable of losing weight, as I managed to lose 20kg just by eating low-GI. I didn't need to go low-kilojoule or anything, the low-GI was sufficient. It helps that I like eating vegetables, I guess (I just use lots of garlic and chilli). So I've started upping the veggies again, and I've arrested the weight gain. Now I just need to do more physical activity.

'Just'. Like it's so easy. I promise myself every day that I will exercise, and I never do it. Maybe this thread will help me stay accountable to myself. :)

• Like 2

literally nobody
3 hours ago, DirtyStreetPie said:

May I please join in? I put on 3kg in Term 4 last year (it was busy and stressful), and another five during lockdown. So I've got about 8kg to shift. The reason I really need to do this is because I was recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I just know I'm going to 'graduate' to Type 2 if I don't change my lifestyle.

During lockdown, I've been far too sedentary, and my diet has also suffered. I know I am capable of losing weight, as I managed to lose 20kg just by eating low-GI. I didn't need to go low-kilojoule or anything, the low-GI was sufficient. It helps that I like eating vegetables, I guess (I just use lots of garlic and chilli). So I've started upping the veggies again, and I've arrested the weight gain. Now I just need to do more physical activity.

'Just'. Like it's so easy. I promise myself every day that I will exercise, and I never do it. Maybe this thread will help me stay accountable to myself. :)

welcome:) I often plan out more physical activity than i actually do.. eg: bought a skipping rope, 3 minutes later i was back inside. aargh

amdirel

I've put on weight before covid and have continued to pile it on.

I did the fast 800 and lost some weight, last year I think. But my diet has been appalling and very indulgent, combined with having a desk job for the first time ever, so I put all the weight back on plus extra.

So I now have 15kg to lose! I've hit the overweight BMI for the first time ever.

I've started the fast800 again today. I hope I can stick to it...

• Like 1

Allegra99

Can I join in? 
I’m in Melbourne, and have put on 5kgs in the last 5 weeks. I’m so embarrassed. I knew it was bad and my clothes have become tight but today was the first day I stood on the scales.

i have been binge eating everyday (completely out of control) and I feel revolting. 

• Like 2

Rainbowbear

I will join you all too, I have 8kg I am going to try and shift before the end of the year. I was doing well the begging go the year but then chocolate and chips started creeping in more and more 

• Like 1

literally nobody

welcome everyone! yes Today i have weighed in at 80.9.. last Tuesday I was at 83.3. 

This is SO hard! I love snacking on chips especially, but if I so much have a little bit of this and a little bit of that - it’s all over.. so clean eating it is. I have bought some fresh apples, blueberries and raspberries as my fruit to go to.. the apples especially if Im craving sweet. 

Also im finding 2-3L of water helps get rid of a lot of boating. If anything Im having less headaches. 

• Like 1

Elfie34

I have 8kg to lose. Heaviest I’ve been since pregnant. I’m in Melbourne so have been working from home and eating my feelings. Plus I am injured so exercise is limited.

i have to go into work in November for a new employee so I have 2 months to fit back into my work clothes. So help me ladies! I usually lose weight through exercise. So this time I need to look at my food. I am a snacker and also eat afternoon dinner a lot. 

caitiri

The problem is in Melbourne im finding is that we are being so sedentary that your calories have to be extremely low.  For example im eating 1200 calories a day. Im hugely overweight think 40kgs and im still not losing  much if anything week by week. 

ETA atm im just happy im not putting more on 

Edited by caitiri
  • Like 2

Odd-1-Out
1 hour ago, caitiri said:

The problem is in Melbourne im finding is that we are being so sedentary that your calories have to be extremely low.  For example im eating 1200 calories a day. Im hugely overweight think 40kgs and im still not losing  much if anything week by week. 

ETA atm im just happy im not putting more on 

I can relate to this. Im not in Vic but had a big accident a few weeks back and being sedentary means I have had to cut back to 1000 cal a day to lose anything.  I never thought I would miss exercise but I really do!

• Thanks 1

amdirel
2 hours ago, literally nobody said:

welcome everyone! yes Today i have weighed in at 80.9.. last Tuesday I was at 83.3. 

This is SO hard! I love snacking on chips especially, but if I so much have a little bit of this and a little bit of that - it’s all over.. so clean eating it is. I have bought some fresh apples, blueberries and raspberries as my fruit to go to.. the apples especially if Im craving sweet. 

Also im finding 2-3L of water helps get rid of a lot of boating. If anything Im having less headaches. 

Woohoo well done!

I am the same with eating, I just cannot do 'in moderation'! I have to cut out the junk completely unfortunately. 

• Thanks 1

literally nobody
1 hour ago, amdirel said:

Woohoo well done!

I am the same with eating, I just cannot do 'in moderation'! I have to cut out the junk completely unfortunately. 

thanks! tell you what- it was extremely hard watching everyone eat KFC at a friend’s place and here i was with a salad. lol

• Like 1