MadMarchMasterchef

Google Pay / Apple pay

MadMarchMasterchef

I'm thinking of ditching all my cards and going across to paying by phone (before anyone says welcome to the 21st century Im in SA so we dont have a drivers license or bus ticket app available yet 😛
Interested to hear from people who use Google pay  (or apple pay but I have android)  how its working.   Do you find it can replace carrying a card?  Are there places that dont accept it?   Can you get money out easily enough if you need to?   Thanks! 

Update -  SA does have a drivers licence app now 👌👌

Edited by MadMarchMasterchef

wallofdodo

I use google pay and my train ticket is on there too, also all of my loyalty cards (stocard). I wish I could get my licence and office pass as well.

Basically I am screwed if I loose my phone. 

It works well, initially sometimes I had to also carry my physical card, just in case, but that is not happening as much anymore.  Any where that has touch and go will accept.  Actually my psychiatrist doesn't so I have to take my card there. 

Edited by wallofdodo
  • Like 1

lozoodle

I haven't carried a card in over a year, i just use my watch or phone. if i need cash i get cardless cash. actually not sure where my cards are anymore...

• Haha 1

dadwasathome

Covid seems to have forced most banks to finally make the move. I've now got 5 payment cards on my iphone and rarely take my wallet when I leave the house. Pre-Covid I could only add two of those cards

Some small businesses for purchases less than $10 I try to use cash, and I'm reasonably comforatble with a cost recovery surcharge for low value transactions.

Sydney NSW

Edited by dadwasathome
  • Like 1

can'tstayaway

I love the convenience of having my cards on my phone with Apple Pay.

The phone apps for my banks are great too but have made me lazy. I used to have a running balance in my head all the time but in the last few years, I have no idea because I can just log into my banking app and check anytime.

I use cardless cash when I need cash out of an atm. It’s an option on my banking app which sends a code to my phone. They limit withdrawals to $500 which is fine for me. 

I also have loyalty cards in ‘wallets’ on my phone so no extra cards to lug around or forget.  And back when we could travel, I used the Airline apps for boarding passes. 

• Like 1

dadwasathome

I absolutely agree about the phone apps too - I can transfer funds and pay by direct transfer at my fingertips. All so convenient.

• Like 1

lazycritter

I have been using the commbank tap and pay via phone app.  Mainly because my card sends to have worn out. 

I'm in Victoria. I've never heard of driver's licence on an app.  Nor bus fares. We have a Myki Card for bus and train. 

• Like 1

dadwasathome
15 minutes ago, lazycritter said:

I'm in Victoria. I've never heard of driver's licence on an app.  Nor bus fares. We have a Myki Card for bus and train. 

We have digital drivers licence in NSW, although I'm advised that cops may not accept it, even though the rest of government says its OK.

I still use my Opal for PT in Sydney, but may just switch to one of my cards on Apple pay.

• Like 2

*Andi*
20 minutes ago, lazycritter said:

I have been using the commbank tap and pay via phone app.  Mainly because my card sends to have worn out. 

There is a myki app - https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/mobile-myki/

• Like 2

wallofdodo
19 minutes ago, lazycritter said:

You can definitely get myki on your phone. Licence no.

Orginally the Myki app wasn't available for Iphones, but it is now

Edited by wallofdodo
  • Like 2

OscarAndTilly

I have only recently switched to ApplePay and am still nervous about not carrying my card with me in case the shop doesn’t use Apple Pay. 

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef
11 minutes ago, OscarAndTilly said:

I have only recently switched to ApplePay and am still nervous about not carrying my card with me in case the shop doesn’t use Apple Pay. 

Yeah Im thinking I might switch to a smaller coin wallet and carry one card  in it just in case.  Some of the other cards like library cards I will ditch as there is a fantastic library app.

2 hours ago, *Andi* said:

Out of curiosity does it let you add multiple cards?   SA is only starting to trial an app out (on trams only)  but I was wondering whether you could use it for the kids cards if they travel with you. 

mumpteen

I love Google Pay on my phone, never carry cards now unless I want cash out at the supermarket (didn't realise about cardless cash at the ATM though, so will do that now).

I've been using it for a couple of years now and the only time I've had a problem is older parking machines that take cash or card but not "paywave". 

• Like 1

ckmelb

I've had google pay since it was launched (in 2016). I barely use a wallet now (I have a small baby so less is more). I also have my Myki on it (if I ever catch public transport again that will be helpful) and a few loyalty cards loaded tkl

At the very beginning some merchant terminals didn't accept it but all those bugs were ironed out in the interim so I don't take a backup card anymore. I know my credit card details off by heart so worst case they could do a manual entry similar to paying online, but I've never needed to do that.

For me the security is better. I wouldn't notice if I lost or had a stolen card for days. I would definitely notice a missing phone.

I also find it better for when you get a refund. You can see the credit in the app straight away. Back in the day I would hold onto their receipts for days until I could see I was refunded.

• Like 1

*Andi*
59 minutes ago, MadMarchMasterchef said:

Out of curiosity does it let you add multiple cards?   SA is only starting to trial an app out (on trams only)  but I was wondering whether you could use it for the kids cards if they travel with you. 

I can't help you there sorry - I'm regional and it was on my list of things to do one day, but now is not the day and who knows when it will be 😂

• Haha 1

nom_de_plume

I started using Google Pay in Feb this year and have since added my rewards/loyalty cards as well. I've found since Covid, almost everywhere now accepts EFTPOS payments for everything is which is great. 

As per PP, the only time I can't/don't use it is for medical appointments. If you want to have the Medicare rebate put straight back into your account you usually need to insert your card and PIN.

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef
4 hours ago, mumpteen said:

I love Google Pay on my phone, never carry cards now unless I want cash out at the supermarket (didn't realise about cardless cash at the ATM though, so will do that now).

I've been using it for a couple of years now and the only time I've had a problem is older parking machines that take cash or card but not "paywave". 

Its against my religion to pay for parking and being in Adelaide I can get away with it 🤣  - jk, thats another good point to think about.  I know Adelaide city council has a parking app, not sure how many other councils do.

IamOzgirl

Love Google pay. And with having my license on Service nSW I no longer carry my wallet at all.

PP - no the police can't not accept it. It is a govt ID with you photo and everything.

I did have a blip at Service NSW in person. They wanted to take a copy of my license and I said sorry only have my phone. They argued, I held firm, they went to speak to a manager and low and behold there was a special form for them to fill out for digital licenses. 

• Like 1

Meepy

I have a dumb question. What happens if you lose your phone?  If someone finds it can they use everything you have stored on there or can you block it?

-Emissary-
11 minutes ago, Meepy said:

I have a dumb question. What happens if you lose your phone?  If someone finds it can they use everything you have stored on there or can you block it?

Hopefully you have a pin code so they will have to crack your pin code first before being able to use it. 

If you lose your phone, you can immediately call your bank to have your card blocked and your mobile app unlinked to your mobile. 

I rarely carry my wallet these days. Which is a shame because I bought a really nice LV wallet last year. Might give it to my mum as I rarely use it. 

I bank with one of the big four so you get cash out, I can use the cardless cash function. I actually don’t have a physical card for the most frequently used bank account so the only way to get cash out is cashless card. I rarely take cash out though. 

I have my Medicare and my license on there. Only need to transfer my opal but considering I won’t be catching public transport for a while, I probably don’t need to bother yet.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SeaPrincess
21 minutes ago, Meepy said:

Depending on your settings, you can erase it remotely. For an iPhone, it can be done through the Find My app, which is built in, but requires location services and mobile data.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

can'tstayaway
20 minutes ago, Meepy said:

I have a code for my iphone.  If someone picked it up, they would have to crack that code first. I think it goes into a delay period after 3 wrong attempts. 

When I’ve lost my phone, I’ve used the remote lock function to stop anyone from even attempting to unlock the phone.  I can call or use Netbank to lock my cards so no one can use them without having to go through the hassle of cancelling cards.

As mentioned, you can also erase them remotely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dadwasathome
10 hours ago, IamOzgirl said:

PP - no the police can't not accept it. It is a govt ID with you photo and everything.

DP is far closer to the Police than I am, and is of the view that digital licences have been forced without everything being in place.

I said, screw that, the Government needs to take overall responsibility if the police don't like it.

It feels weird to have coins in my pocket these days.

• Like 1

nightmarish
11 hours ago, IamOzgirl said:

Love Google pay. And with having my license on Service nSW I no longer carry my wallet at all.

I did have a blip at Service NSW in person. They wanted to take a copy of my license and I said sorry only have my phone. They argued, I held firm, they went to speak to a manager and low and behold there was a special form for them to fill out for digital licenses. 

NSW only. If you go out of state (remember when that was possible) or something falls under federal jurisdiction they won't accept it. So it's good for 9/10 things. 

• Like 1

ckmelb
12 hours ago, Meepy said:

With Google pay the app actually disables if you don't have a passcode. So you must have a pin for it to work

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1