Jump to content
OrangeSprout

16 Year Old Won't go to school

Recommended Posts

OrangeSprout

Still struggling.. he's not been at school since August 20..
I am keeping in touch with school.
offering things that I know he really wants as incentives/bribes/call them what you want to encourage him to go...
Have a telehealth appointment booked with the GP - grr first available was October 1st :(
And have a paediatrician appointment that same day...

I think I am struggling with this more than him...
No appointments for me to see our GP as a long appointment until mid October :(
Think I will find another Dr at that same practice.. our GP only works 2 days a week and is a very popular Dr..

Feels way too hard some days :(

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerilyntaryn

hugs sweetie, I really feel for you, this really sucks and so so hard. Can you just ring your local drakes office and just ask for appt asap.  I hope you both get an appointment soon.  I hope you can get an appointment with a counselor soon too and please do something nice for yourself too

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
.Jerry.

School in its traditional sense doesn't suit everyone.  

There are options out there.  As PP has said, sometime work suits.  But there are also alternative schooling options - maybe more than people know about.  In Brisbane there are quite a few options for senior secondary school - trade schools, a school based on caring for horses, two music industry schools and quite a few generally just "alternate" schools.  These type of schools offer much more flexibility, fewer rules, alternate pathways etc.

There is also Distance Education.  A relative of mine was refusing to go to school (anxiety, depression, social issues) but (after a rocky start) is now thriving doing distance ed.

OP, not saying that your son needs to move to an alternate school, but just that there are other options for finishing education - ones that might engage him.  School refusal is far more common than people know about.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
liveworkplay

I'm in Tas. I have guessed the school he went to. Is he in the same system now? I have a dear friend who went/is going through the same thing. PM if you want me to get some of her contacts for you.

Also on the  alternative to mainstream school. Have you heard of St Frances Flexible Learning Centre? They do amazing things with kids , mainly those disenfranchised in the system but also those that just don't fit. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
71Cath

Hang in there Orange Sprout, it is so hard.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3babygirls
3 hours ago, .Jerry. said:

School in its traditional sense doesn't suit everyone.  

There are options out there.  As PP has said, sometime work suits.  But there are also alternative schooling options - maybe more than people know about.  

Definitely second this. 
We have a school that is more of a 'senior college', open to mature age students as well, no uniform, much more flexible learning and tafe options and only 4 days a week. We have referred many students there and they have thrived (many after terms of school refusal). 
They also have a huge support system for mental health issues (as most of the kids go there because of that). A friends daughter had not attended school for over a year and had huge issues with mental health and got a spot at this school and absolutely thrived, now has finished school and gained herself a traineeship. Her mum thought that she would never be able to hold down a job or finish high school.. but a different environment hugely helped. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SFmummyto3

It sounds really difficult and you are doing an amazing job trying to help him. Remember to look after yourself too. Maybe get a mental health plan for yourself and talk to a Psychologist for support to help you stay strong.

Has your ds given any clues about what he might like to do when he's older? Any idea about his interests? Maybe there's a Cert course or similar that he could aim for. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OrangeSprout
On 15/09/2020 at 8:42 AM, liveworkplay said:

I'm in Tas. I have guessed the school he went to. Is he in the same system now? I have a dear friend who went/is going through the same thing. PM if you want me to get some of her contacts for you.

Also on the  alternative to mainstream school. Have you heard of St Frances Flexible Learning Centre? They do amazing things with kids , mainly those disenfranchised in the system but also those that just don't fit. 

@liveworkplay Catholic school... still in the same system..
Yes I have heard of the St F Flexible Learning...
I will PM you in the next day or two.. Thank you 

On 15/09/2020 at 10:34 AM, SFmummyto3 said:

It sounds really difficult and you are doing an amazing job trying to help him. Remember to look after yourself too. Maybe get a mental health plan for yourself and talk to a Psychologist for support to help you stay strong.

Has your ds given any clues about what he might like to do when he's older? Any idea about his interests? Maybe there's a Cert course or similar that he could aim for. 

@SFmummyto3 It is so hard.. and not something I ever expected to go have to deal with...
I am in the process of finding a new Dr in the same practice for myself and getting some support for myself...

Sadly DS has not given us any ideas of what he may like to do when he is older...

Thank you to everyone once again that has taken the time to reply to my post.. your time is appreciated...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...