livelifelovehappy

Does anyone think state borders will open before Christmas?

livelifelovehappy

I think VIC/NSW might...

VVV

I doubt SA will open to VIC before Christmas, (we have family there so watching on with interest.) 

• Like 1

Paddlepop

I hope they don't. 

• Like 7

dadwasathome

I doubt NSW/Vic will open much further than this coming weekend's "bubble" changes before Christmas. The decline in new cases in Victoria, and stable numbers in NSW, are both great, but Vic still has more than 10 times the active cases of NSW, and that number hasn't declined too quickly for any state.

I'd expect to see NSW/Qld open by Christmas with their current performances and the passing of the Qld election. Sa prob open to NSW too.

WA will probably continue its hard line, but NT and Tas may be forced to face up to the reality that they are economically dependent on the rest of the country, and will open to all but Vic.

• Like 2

RichardParker

I thought the PM has said that that is the intention.  I think it should be reasonable to do so if VIC gets its numbers under control by then, and family gatherings are kept as small as possible.  It's the super-spreader events that are the problem.  

• Like 1

JomoMum

I wouldnt think so. Or hope so. Every man and his dog will head interstate after being locked down for nearly a year! 

• Like 6

3rd time lucky

I just hope they open up only if it’s safe and sensible to do so - not because bloody scomo wants them too. 

imo it is stupid to open up vic borders to anyone at the moment (and I live in vic). Why not just give it the extra time and maybe sure vic is on top of outbreaks first. Otherwise we’ll all be in a suede position by Christmas. 

Wishing something is so, does not make it so! (That’s directed at Scomo -  who is so bloody impatient for borders to open up). The economy will be a lot work if the outbreaks continue, rather than just giving it a bit more time (literally weeks) to get things properly under control. 
Gah - makes me so annoyed! 

• Like 13

3rd time lucky

I say all of the above as someone with interstate family I haven’t seen since January, and it’s the year to go to that city at Christmas. 

but I’d rather ‘miss’ Christmas and have my kids be able to go to school on site next year, as opposed to everyone going nuts at Christmas and Australia having an outbreak which results in lockdown.

That would truly tip me over the edge! 

• Like 13

blackcat20

If cases are negligible and under control, then I don't see why not.

• Like 5

3rd time lucky
11 minutes ago, blackcat20 said:

If cases are negligible and under control, then I don't see why not.

I do agree with this blackcat20 - it just feels like they (scomo/ politicians) want to make to the decision now, and promise dates - I.e. we’ll be open by Christmas! - and get people’s hopes/expectations up, rather than getting to that point (under control/ negligible cases) first, then open up, if you know what I mean? 

(that was a long sentence sorry!)

• Like 7

purplekitty

The situation can change very quickly.

I support reacting to the numbers and current situation.

People putting on pressure because they would like to take their normal holidays interstate shouldn't be the priority.

I say that as someone who can't wait to see my daughter,Mum and family in Melbourne where I usually spend at least a month at Christmas.

I understand it isn't just an annual holiday that is at stake.

I hope we have numbers under control enough to make travelling possible.

I just don't won't to get my hopes up.

• Like 11

NannyPlumPudding

I'm in WA.  

I don't see us opening our borders anytime soon.  The Govt just bought electronic tracking devices to stop people skipping out on quarantine...They are also getting more and more angry that people are being allowed to come to WA without the appropriate exemptions (so then we need to accommodate them until a flight home can be sorted). 

So I think we are hunkered down for the long haul...

• Like 3

Tiger Print
57 minutes ago, dadwasathome said:

WA will probably continue its hard line, but NT and Tas may be forced to face up to the reality that they are economically dependent on the rest of the country, and will open to all but Vic.

The NT border is open.  However if you are from a hot spot (currently Victoria and the Greater Sydney Area) you will be required to quarantine at your own expense in a designated quarantine facility. 

Many people have chosen to do this.

rosie28

I hope they don’t make a decision ahead of time- have to wait until close to Christmas to make a decision that makes sense for the circumstances at the time. Not conducive to travel plans but I don’t think any non essential travel should happen this year, including Christmas s gatherings (as sad as this makes me that DH’s Aunty will likely be completely alone instead of with us). I’m in Victoria and sort of hope they don’t open anything too soon. I do hope they can work out the border regions to make things a bit easier for people in those areas. 

• Like 2

~Jolly_F~

I hope so. I have been on the phone all morning to the state we are moving too and the departments and businesses I have spoken to have said that the word is they should be open with some restrictions but not as they are now.

We can move but it’s so complicated with the way things are right now! 

Edited by ~Jolly_F~
  • Sad 1

dadwasathome
3 minutes ago, Tiger Print said:

The NT border is open.  However if you are from a hot spot (currently Victoria and the Greater Sydney Area) you will be required to quarantine at your own expense in a designated quarantine facility. 

Many people have chosen to do this.

Thanks - the last I'd seen was the Chief Minister saying not open until at least next year.

I still have concerns regarding Greater Sydney being defined as a hotspot, and expect that this will change in coming weeks as case numbers decline.

• Like 1

MsLaurie

I think they should. Victoria has gone through a lot for the very purpose of getting things back to normal as quickly as possible. Our numbers are declining rapidly... Christmas is a long way a away, surely if this year has taught us anything it’s that a lot can change in a month, nevermind three!

• Like 8

Dadto2
38 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

The situation can change very quickly.

I support reacting to the numbers and current situation.

I agree.

Dadto2
28 minutes ago, NannyPlumPudding said:

I'm in WA.  

I don't see us opening our borders anytime soon.  The Govt just bought electronic tracking devices to stop people skipping out on quarantine...They are also getting more and more angry that people are being allowed to come to WA without the appropriate exemptions (so then we need to accommodate them until a flight home can be sorted). 

I think we won't be opening our borders till mid next year. I think by the time Victoria have the virus under control, it will be close to Christmas time. WA would wait for a period of stability and then think about opening its borders. March at the earliest. But I think Victoria will ease restrictions too soon and there will be more spikes. I also think, things in NSW and possibly QLD will deteriorate. The problem is everyone (understandably) see's a lockdown as such an anathema they are desperate for it to end, meaning it will be cut short before it's safe to. Like in the US where cities are going back into lockdown a month or so after ending it.

It's just going to be a never-ending cycle and the financial implications of having a lockdown are catastrophic which really means WA will be opening their borders when the rest of Australia is well on top of the virus. And that's a long time off. 

• Like 3

magic_marker

I can't think.

But l bloody hope so.

I want to celebrate an anniversary.

Green Sage

I don’t even think people in Melbourne will be able to travel regionally by Christmas. So getting to a border will be impossible anyway. 

• Like 1

Hypnic Jerk
1 hour ago, NannyPlumPudding said:

I'm in WA.  

That's easy to sort.  They just need to station their border protection staff at the interstate airports and problem solvered.

Hypnic Jerk
18 minutes ago, magic_marker said:

I can't think.

But l bloody hope so.

I want to celebrate an anniversary.

I want to see my no-longer-newborn grandchild.

• Sad 4

PocketIcikleflakes

It depends on what is meant by open borders.

Fully open pre COVID style? No. And I think that would be very dangerous. There's always going to be a risk of quarantine breech even if current community cases get down to zero. Border restrictions of some sort would be one of many ways to mitigate risk along side continued hygiene measures, work from home and mask wearing where appropriate.

From a WA perspective DP has been stuck away in NSW for 2 months for work. For a while he was able to get passes to come home and we all isolated as a family. Then restrictions tightened and he couldn't return at all so we've joined him (very grateful that that is an option for us). I'd hope by December or January we'd be able to go back to being able to return home with requirements to self isolate. 

After that I'd like to see the option of not isolating but needing permission to enter WA with a reason. Work, going home, visiting family. Not because someone wants a wedding over there to get over tighter restrictions in home states.

Then fully open borders with previous travel declarations, until open as usual is feasible.

For me it's not about keeping others out but managing risk in a state specific way.

WA has very different risks to Victoria for example. Low population density to high population density, very remote areas to relatively less remote areas. Much much more that will affect speed of spread and feasibility of managing the fall out of spread in remote areas. Each state will need to manage risk in a very different way according to what's going to be necessary and what the populations will agree to. Fully open borders probably won't be compatible with this for a while longer.

What is suitable, necessary and manageable for other state borders will be different.

Chocolate Addict

no. NSW premier said they wont decide til at least October but I really doubt they will. While Victorian numbers are going down, it seems NSW is going up.