Sign in to follow this  
Hypnic Jerk

eczema friendly clothing

Hypnic Jerk

I'm after suggestions of eczema friendly clothes for DD12, particularly PJs.

We have an appointment with an allergist in 3 weeks, in the meantime we are following the RCH protocol as directed by her new GP.

Tonight she goes to apply her creams and is all teary.  I look at her chest and it looks like she's been nude sunbaking.

She's had neurofen and an antihistamine but then struggles to work out what to wear to bed.  I suggest nothing but she says her blankets will irritate.  She settled on an old satin nightie of mine worn inside out.

Bonus points for ease of purchase in Stage 4 Covid restrictions.  We are just on the outside, so not in as much lockdown but driving into Melbourne is dicey.

little lion

I’m not familiar with eczema but I have heard Love Haidee has some really soft PJs for tween/teen girls. 

José
Posted (edited)

I wonder if you should also be consulting a dermatologist. 

When DS was hospitalised with eczema it was a dermatologist who saw us in hospital and who we followed up with.  Ive also consulted a dermatologist when my eczema was out of control.

Three weeks sounds like such a long time to wait for your poor little one! I'd be trying to get on cancellation lists. 

In terms of pyjamas id be looking at what laundry detergent you are using and look for natural fibres.

Perhaps bamboo? Bamboo can be very soft. Perhaps mulberry threads, they are online. The tops are women's but have size xxs which is a women's 6 so might work, especially if its just for bed. 

Edited by José
to add.

Bethlehem Babe

If it’s the seems of the clothing, something like jettproof might be suitable. Designed for kids with sensory issues so soft and no seems. But I’m not sure if that would be too sweaty. 

GingerbreadWoman
Posted (edited)

I had bad eczema as a child, but not as bad as it sounds like your poor DD is going through. I couldn’t wear anything with polyester as would get too hot which made the itch worse. When my eczema was at its worst I wore long sleeve loose cotton t shirts to bed, with cotton gloves attached to the sleeves to stop me from damaging my skin as much if I scratched it in my sleep. 
I have an older brother and often claimed his old tshirts as pjs/house clothes because they were softer after many washes, as well as looser fitting. Newer clothes tended to be more scratchy. So if she has older siblings or if you have some old cotton tshirts that might be an option? 

I second seeing a dermatologist as well if you can. 

Edited by GingerbreadWoman

Dianalynch

Ds has terrible eczema, and on the advice of his dr we ensured 100% pure cotton clothing, sensitive laundry detergent, bathed in qv bath oil, and  covered him in dermese. The 100% cotton clothes were a game changer. 

• Like 2

Hypnic Jerk

I've changed our detergent to Purity on the suggestion of SIL who's kids had ezcema and I'm now using the sensitive cycle - extra rinse.  Also only wear and wash - no wearing clothes 2 days in a row.  The Royal Children's protocol has her on a cortisone in emollient 3 times a day and QV bath oil.  Last night was the first time she'd raised her sleepwear and that was when her nightie was in the wash.  I do have some old clothes I've hoarded that could do the job too.  Thanks Gingerbread Woman for that suggestion.

When I first took her to my GP (after a disaster with using Nizoral as directed by a different GP) I straight up asked for a referral to a dermatologist but was put onto the RCH protocol and assured that the instructions we were given are the same that any dermatologist would give.  First time round it certainly fixed her up, but of course she didn't stick to the maintenance ("my skin's fine now, I don't need to") and now she's having this flare up.

I went through the RCH treatment sheet with DD and emphasised the part where it says "Eczema flares are commonly due to non-adherence to treatment and overheating"  She's now sticking to the treatment but it hasn't taken effect yet.

amdirel

Our allergist used to recommend dermasilk pjs. I never ended up buying any but they're supposed to be good.

Are you using an ointment on her rather than a cream? The difference for my DS2 was amazing. Our allergist was amazing, she changed his life. Also DS1's life, for hayfever. I hope you have the same success with your allergist!

ainira
Posted (edited)

We've been through this process with both my DDs. Are you using QV intensive? This is the best emollient you can get off the shelf (Chemist Warehouse). For DD1, she was prescribed a compounding cream which was super oily but the dermatologist did not consider it necessary for DD2.

100% cotton clothing was recommended to us too.

If your DD's skin is super inflamed, a wet dressing may help (light 100% cotton clothes sprayed with water, and a light dry layer on top).

Edited by ainira
Typo
  • Like 1

Hypnic Jerk
1 hour ago, ainira said:

We've been through this process with both my DDs. Are you using QV intensive? This is the best emollient you can get off the shelf (Chemist Warehouse). For DD1, she was prescribed a compounding cream which was super oily but the dermatologist did not consider it necessary for DD2.

100% cotton clothing was recommended to us too.

If your DD's skin is super inflamed, a wet dressing may help (light 100% cotton clothes sprayed with water, and a light dry layer on top).

Yes, we have that one.  Though at the moment she's using her prescribed steroid mixed in Dermeeze emollient.  And I've just checked her t-shirts while hanging them out and they are all 100% cotton.

I just called the allergist for any cancellations but they aren't open till Monday.   

PrincessPeach

Natural fibres is generally the recommendation. For my mum that meant 100% cotton stuff, however wool can be fine for some sufferers.

It’s also the search for the moisturiser that her skin will tolerate - everyone is different. My mum found she had to switch it up every few months, so swapped between sorbolene & moo goo.

Grrrumbles

My son used Dermasilk. He wore it as underclothes. Lots of online stores sell lines of ezcema clothing but you may find things in department stores like bamboo or seamfree ranges.

We used compounded moisturiser for a number of years, such a hassle logistics wise but worked well.

Tubifast bandages over her torso or other problem areas may allow her to wear regular clothes too. 

rosie28

In the short term a big old cotton t shirt of yours (or her dad’s) would be nice and soft. Other than that I think pure cotton, silk or perhaps bamboo. My nephew has also started wearing merino kids stuff with great success. I’d be absolutely demanding a referral to a dermatologist too, there isn’t a one size fits all solution for eczema. 

Jenflea

I had eczema as a kid and wool made me itch terribly, BUT I suspect it wasn't particularly good quality wool!

Jenflea

A friend of mine had to give her son bleach baths for his skin. It sounds terrible but it was about a tablespoon of bleach in a tub of water, similar to a pool with chlorine in it. 

rosie28
10 minutes ago, Jenflea said:

I had eczema as a kid and wool made me itch terribly, BUT I suspect it wasn't particularly good quality wool!

Merino kids is incredibly soft and feels more like silk- not itchy at all, and excellent for thermal regulation. Naturally antibacterial too. 

• Like 1

overlytired

Eczema is triggered by an allergy or stress; cotton is a good option unless the eczema is a reaction to pesticides or other manufacturing chemicals. My sister's eczema flares up even with "hypoallergenic" materials.

PrincessPeach
20 hours ago, Jenflea said:

Can be the lanolin in it you are reacting to - my mum reacts to any wool, even the high quality Aussie fine merino wool (I scored a very beautiful & warm pair of socks out of that).

Hypnic Jerk

So I thought I'd give a general update.

Today I followed mother's intuition the evidence before me and called the GP clinic.  We already had an appointment for next week but I thought what's the point of 4 more days of following a treatment regime that clearly isn't working.  12 days of rigorously following the RCH protocol and she's seen improvements and then worsening.  Plus we'd done about a week of additional cortisone and bleach baths but not up to the letter of the guidelines.

We re-homed the pets, using hypoallergenic laundry liquid with double rinse and towels and clothes get one use before washing

We now have a referral for a dermatologist.  Yaaay.  That's what I asked for in the first place but still yaaaay.

She now has to hit it up with a short course of oral steroids, then Advantan Fatty Ointment each night.  1 'script' contained 10 tubes of the stuff.  Still need to moisturise throughout the day but that's better than the goopy stuff she's been using.

Please work :pray:

• Like 1

22Fruitmincepies

Advantan is really really good. That plus dermeze ointment has hugely helped my DD. 

Popper

Hi OP. Well done on following your instinct. Advantan will definitely work. We have been through this with DD and we had to fight for Advantan which works immediately. Luckily her immunologist now provides us with scripts regularly.

We use damp bandages over the Advantan sometimes to get it under control. It is so bloody distressing. Good luck. 

ainira

Advantan works really well! All the best for your DD

José

Advantan has also been used at my place.

Glad you have a referral a dermatologist.  It didn't make sense to me that you weren't given one before.

PrincessPeach

Good Luck!

Heads up for the steriods if you haven’t had them before - it can turn your child into the devil child, who won’t sleep & it angry at the world, or it won’t make a difference at all.

Hypnic Jerk

Hmmm, how would we know?

Actually she’s been great today.  No crappy language and went for a bike ride for the first time in a month.