Ghost Girl

Tell me about Christmas lights (fluff topic)

Ghost Girl
Posted (edited)

So turning to EB who often have wonderful knowledge in obsure areas.

I have decided since it's unlikely my family can go anywhere for Christmas 2020, that I need  to make my house light like a Christmas tree instead.

I have no idea where to start. I assume I want solar lights and something that strings up on my second floor balcony ? But really keen to know what others have done to decorate their houses and where they bought stuff from? My DH won't  be much help, he hates most things showy at Xmas, so needs to be lights etc I can string up myself without much fuss.

Hoping some one out there in EB land knows a thing or two in this area. 

Starting early so I can order online in needed. 

Edited by Ghost Girl
Spelling
  • Like 1

Squeekums The Elf

Get lots of cable ties, to attach, hold shapes in rope lights, keep cords together. 

Rope light s  are effective and come in long and short lengths.

You can go all solar but it will be bigger upfront cost. Most corded lights are led and not huge drains now.  Get the right outdoor powerleads and powerboards, the covers for connecting spots

Use the premade stuff, like Santa's, reindeer, in blow up, the lit  stand up shapes, wall hangers . The laser show lights do heaps of work for very little , icicle lights. We had no issues with Bunnings or cheap as chips type ones for all of it

Ebay is your friend, double check they in Aus for power cords though. Gumtree and Facebook too but always test before you take 

If you wanna get real techy  there switchboards to tune music to the lights flashing, just youtube it to see some of the best lol me and dp havent ventured that far........ yet he says. Our nephew could program it I dare say lol

• Like 1

can'tstayaway

My DH is like yours and doesn’t like showy Christmas lights. When the kids were little, they liked it so I got into it in a small way. 

I bought solar lights from Aldi and Bunnings. Both were similar quality. I bought a variety and just played with the kids during the school holidays. We changed them a few times to get the look we liked. It kept the kids occupied and being solar and low voltage, I wasn’t too worried about safety. 

I wasn’t a fan of cable ties because they are a pain to undo and a bit of plastic wastage. I bought some Velcro ties from Bunnings (gardening section) and they have lasted years for all sorts of purposes. The trick, as with all Christmas-y stuff is to have somewhere to pack them away neatly ready for next year. 

• Like 1

blackcat20

My DH is American and would go full on if I let him...

At the moment we do big red bows around our front pillars, a blow up reindeer in the front yard, candy cane lights down the front path then the tree in the front window. And flashing lights along the front of the garage. I'm too nervous to let him get up to the second story to put lights up there.... 

PrincessPeach

We have solar fairy lights from Bunnings which we string along our boundary fence & they lasted fine last Christmas no problems (hail storm included).

We have inflatables from both Bunnings & the Christmas shop - both are of equal quality, to be honest the Bunnings one came with metal anchor pins, which stayed in our soil better than the plastic ones.

dadwasathome

We've got really ugly finces in the backyard, so dress the with "icicle" lights, and ice white. I go with solar, and leave them up fomr Halloween for as a long they last.

But some of the most tasteful lighting I've seen has been net lighting in warm white. A yard near me  that looks average during the day looks sculptural and welcoming with net lighting over some of the hedges. There is plenty of really overdone stuff nearby, including at least two of those "streets to vist", but even then a central; feature can work well.

We've spent a couple of Christmases in various parts of the US and seen mostly very tasteful decorations. Maybe a tree with warm whites LEDs in the front room. Maybe it's a comment on the types of places we've been staying

IMG_8349.jpeg

Ghost Girl

Thanks everyone. I feel a trip to Bunnings coming on. 

I was going for solar so I didn't have to run cords inside, I'm pretty sure my DH won't go for that but the solar ones I reckon I can get in the door!

Squeekums The Elf

Have a look round the outside of your house on sides, you may have outdoor power points, they usually have some kind of cover, ours flip up. No cords inside that way, we never run inside as we don't want to leave door or windows open if we not home

dadwasathome

I’m going to order online this year if I get around to doing it early.

another thing is that you may need to look for white or black cables, depending on your preference. More than once I’ve got home and realised I had the wrong colour - white would stick out like a sore thumb in daylight.

Ruby red shoes

We have a Christmas themed light projector. It is solar. It covers quite a large area (the area is usually in the product description). We bought ours at big w. 

• Like 1

Dianalynch

I bought a heap of solar lights, candy canes and other decorations from Kmart last year, cheap and effective. I’m going to decorate big this year too - what else is there to do? 

• Like 1

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Just be careful what you leave in the yard. I have heard of some people having some things stolen overnight.

• Like 1

Ghost Girl

Thanks again everyone. Managed to get two strings of lights into the house 🥰🥰🥰

Now to hang them. One spot is all sorted but the other spot, I really want them is the glass balcony. But the glass has no break in it, the rail connects completely onto it. So trying to search for something other than a cable tie to hold in place, like clip. Not sure anything exists like it though. Will keep researching.

Squeekums The Elf

3M do a heap of hanging products with sticky backs, weight rated for pictures, they may work or can be worked to suit. Try something like bunnings or the 3m site

• Thanks 1

Ghost Girl

Perfect Squeekums the elf. Back to Bunnings I go.