123Tree

Resume question - job history

123Tree

Hello everyone, I started a job in 2003 and worked at the same company up until April this year. However I took one year off to have my first DS and switched to part time. Then after a year I took 18 months off for my second DS. Because my second period of maternity leave was longer than twelve months I had to resign so when I went back I was working as a casual. I was casual for about two years but a couple of times there wasn't enough work so I had a couple of months off here and there. Eventually I got another contract.  The whole time i pretty much did the same role.

So basically after that long drawn out story above, I worked there for 16 1/2 years but there were a couple of breaks in my employment. During these breaks I did not work anywhere else.

On my resume I am thinking that I will put down employment history "2003 - 2020 - This Job".

Is that OK? Or is it misleading.

• Like 1

ckmelb

I would say 2003-2020 this job

And then in the final bullet point about that role note: maternity leave in X and X year, casual for X years and returning to contract on X year

I wouldn't normally say to list the maternity leave but in your situation it explains the casual breaks and it's a very long tenure anyway.

My employer does look into those details but has no issue if they have been declared (just if they are omitted). Best of luck!

• Like 3

laridae

I'd probably do it in two lots if you stayed in the same position.

so 2003-when you resigned - job x

start of first casual- 2020 - job x (casual contracts)

I wouldn't mention maternity leave or being part time.

• Like 2

BadCat

I'd put 2003-2020 and note the change to casual after mat leave.  I prefer to put it all out there and be honest.  When I went back to work after being a SAHM I'm freely noted that I hadn't worked in a long time.  Didn't stop me getting interviews and ultimately walking into the first job I interviewed for (after a protracted recruitment process).

Just Another Cat
Posted (edited)

If I worked as a casual on and off for years I wouldn’t break that time into each ‘on’ period. I’d just bulk it together.

You had the same employer the whole time and the same role. Definitely keep it as one on your resume. It’s not misleading. 

ETA - I’ve never written my position in terms of full time, part time or casual on a resume. I’m not sure how that is even relevant. 

Edited by Just Another Cat
  • Like 3

klr75
4 minutes ago, Just Another Cat said:

If I worked as a casual on and off for years I wouldn’t break that time into each ‘on’ period. I’d just bulk it together.

You had the same employer the whole time and the same role. Definitely keep it as one on your resume. It’s not misleading. 

ETA - I’ve never written my position in terms of full time, part time or casual on a resume. I’m not sure how that is even relevant. 

this....

• Like 2

BornToLove

I also wouldn’t specify any time for mat leave. If anything it will be a negative. I also wouldn’t specify casual/part time/full time status. 

However, because you were not employed by them for 18 months, I would indicate that. If a prospective employer did a basic background check, your former employer would note you didn’t work for them for 18 months which is a discrepancy with your resume and would rule you out of selection. 

MadMarchMasterchef

I dont think it needs to be separated unless there was a major difference of tasks done under those different roles. 

I dont specify mat leave on my resume as I returned to the same job each time.

You may get asked more about it in an interview as its a long period of time to be in one job so they might ask why, I think mat leave would be a suitable answer there. 

SeaPrincess
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Just Another Cat said:

Same. I have 2 odd ones on my resume. One was a major role change, so I have the full duration and employer listed, then the time period for the first role, and the time period for the second role. The other is where I resigned and finished up in January, but went back casual, so my actual last day was December of the same year. I just have the full duration listed. I also don’t note full-time/part-time/casual on my resume for any of my employment.

ETA: actually when I was contracting, I have listed which company I was contracted to, because they weren’t my employer. In one case, I had a permanent role with one company (a TAFE), but for the entire time I was there, I was contracted out to another one.

Edited by SeaPrincess

WaitForMe

You may as well note it. This isn't the best wording but something like:

Break in employment from 200x to 200x, returning as a casual initially, and then as a contractor in 200x.

123Tree

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the replies.

I am a bit frustrated that when prospective employers find out that I've taken maternity leave I feel like it puts me on a negative footing straight away. 

Bird1

Why do you have to mention you went on Maternity leave. They have no right to that information. 

I once had an interview were I mentioned I was a single mother. I didn’t get the job. Later found out it was because I was a single mother. I have never mentioned anything about my private life since.

• Like 1

blue86
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 123Tree said:

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the replies.

I am a bit frustrated that when prospective employers find out that I've taken maternity leave I feel like it puts me on a negative footing straight away. 

I don’t want to know, it’s irrelevant. If you have performed the same job for x years, put that - but please highlight key achievements/major projects etc. As an employer (crap, that makes me sound like a grown up!), that is way more informative and useful than the fact that you had different employment arrangements while doing the job - just like I also don’t care if someone applying for a job likes golf or does body building in their spare time

edit : if it’s not actually relevant, it doesn’t need to be listed anywhere on your resume

Edited by blue86
  • Like 2

SeaPrincess

There is absolutely no need to say that you took maternity leave within that time period. Just put the start and end dates.

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef
3 hours ago, Bird1 said:

Why do you have to mention you went on Maternity leave. They have no right to that information. 

I once had an interview were I mentioned I was a single mother. I didn’t get the job. Later found out it was because I was a single mother. I have never mentioned anything about my private life since.

Disgusting but not suprising, sadly :(