Green Sage

Puzzles - how many pieces?

Green Sage

I want to get my dad a puzzle. Something not too hard, maybe for him to finish in a week to a month. He doesn’t do puzzles, but I think he would enjoy it, I vaguely remember him doing a big one before in my youth. 

so, 500 or 1000 pieces? What do you think? 

Just Jack

500. More achievable, less overwhelming.

• Like 1

cardamom

DP and I have been getting into puzzles lately. It takes us about 2 hours to finish a 500 piece one (and I'm pretty much dead weight) so I would guess a 1000 piece would be the way to go?

Green Sage
Just now, cardamom said:

DP and I have been getting into puzzles lately. It takes us about 2 hours to finish a 500 piece one (and I'm pretty much dead weight) so I would guess a 1000 piece would be the way to go?

Oh, I definitely want it to last more than 2 hours. 1000 might be the way to go. 

annodam

Nothing under 1000pc here, whilst in lock down, DS completes them in a week, we then frame them.  I have 3 here waiting for restrictions to ease before I can take them in.

WRT your dad, it depends, does he have the room to keep a 1000pc puzzle laying around for a bit?

MsLaurie

If he’s out of practice, 500 might be more enjoyable. 

• Like 1

Green Sage
1 minute ago, annodam said:

Nothing under 1000pc here, whilst in lock down, DS completes them in a week, we then frame them.  I have 3 here waiting for restrictions to ease before I can take them in.

WRT your dad, it depends, does he have the room to keep a 1000pc puzzle laying around for a bit?

Yeah, he has room. And he is very handy so will likely make himself a big puzzle board like he did for my brother. 

BusbyWilkes

I would go 500 to start with. Unless it’s a 1000 with a very distinct picture, which makes it easier. Mostly I’ve found most bigger puzzles tend to have lots of same/similar colours too, so I’ve not just harder because there are more pieces.

Prancer is coming

Definitely 500 if he is not a regular puzzler.  My parents are in their 70s and they struggled with a 500 piece one and needed help!  Also be mindful of the picture.  Ones with lots of sky, grass or with lots of the the same colour can be quite hard, where lots of different colours and distinct objects are easier.  You don’t want to go too hard and have him not enjoy it.

BECZ

I got a few 748 piece puzzles from Target at Christmas time.  They were still available online when I checked last school holidays.  I usually go nothing under 1000 pieces, but I liked the pictures on these puzzles.  I did find one of them really challenging compared to the other two and it was actually the one that I thought would be easier if anything. 

BECZ
Posted (edited)

I just went to check if they still have them and noticed that they now have a new range out and they have 1000 piece puzzles now.

Sadly, they aren’t a nice as the last ones.  

https://www.target.com.au/c/toys/board-games-puzzles/puzzles/W1343036

ETA....BigW have some nice looking ones too.

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/creative-leisure-1000pc-jigsaw-puzzle-assorted/p/5804542/?store=161&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhIP6BRCMARIsALu9Lfml_6UZNhxPFYN9ZoEWnTm3YO70rpKNqWnIosQfkpwzS4xKGppoKGMaAh-bEALw_wcB

Not sure on the quality of these BigW ones, but the Ken Duncan ones at Target were great.

Nothing worst that a badly cut/fitting jigsaw and price and where you buy them from aren’t always a guarantee of quality.

Edited by BECZ
  • Like 1

BECZ

Ravensburger are always good quality.

• Like 1

Green Sage

Ok, I’ve decided on 1000 pieces and I’ve found one with very distinct colours and patterns, so it shouldn’t be too hard. Hope he likes it! 

• Like 6

Blue Shoe
36 minutes ago, Prancer is coming said:

Definitely 500 if he is not a regular puzzler.  My parents are in their 70s and they struggled with a 500 piece one and needed help!  Also be mindful of the picture.  Ones with lots of sky, grass or with lots of the the same colour can be quite hard, where lots of different colours and distinct objects are easier.  You don’t want to go too hard and have him not enjoy it.

Yes, that is definitely a big factor. The busier the picture the more doable it usually is. Peaceful landscapes that are half grassy field and half clear blue sky = nightmare!

• Like 1

JomoMum

As above, factor in the type of image it is too - this can play a part in the level of difficulty more than the number of pieces. My 6yo DS is a whizz with puzzles, but has a 200 pce Dr Seuss that is 80% just one solid colour ... well he did have it.