Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
My4beautifulboys

Omron blood pressure monitor

Recommended Posts

My4beautifulboys

I’ve recently had a health check up at my Gp doctor. And I had elevated blood pressure, which is very unlike me. I wasn’t having a rushed or stressful day or anything. The doctor suggested purchasing a blood pressure monitor, and monitor myself over the next week or so. 
it appears to read my blood pressure as perfectly normal about 121/85, compared to (143/100). 
Just wondering has anyone had experience with this type, and was it accurate? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddlepop

I've had an Omron BP monitor ever since I had pre eclampsia during pregnancy. It's pretty comparable to the GP's monitor.

The best way to check if it's reading accurately is to take it along to a GP appointment and get them to check you on their machine, then check using yours. The numbers should be very close to the same as each other. If they are then you can be confident that it's reading accurately. This is what I did with mine.

You might have had "white coat" blood pressure at the doctor. That's when someone gets stressed out and has a higher BP when at the doctor's but it's normal in other situations. Did the GP allow you to sit for 5 minutes or so before they took it or did you walk into the room and then they straight away took your BP? It's best if they let you sit for a few minutes first. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soontobegran

I have an Omron and as long as you use it properly they are very accurate.

Your baseline at home may be quite different to the one at your doctor's but the idea is to watch what is your 'normal' when taken at home.

Make sure you are sitting very still and give yourself a moment before you press the button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MumsyToBigOnes
Posted (edited)

Ours is fine and the measurements at home are comparable to those obtained at the GP and hospital clinics. 
 

eta - make sure you are using the right size cuff. We had to purchase the Asian cuff (yes, this was the official name of that size) as the person who uses it was at the upper end of the child size and the usual adult size was too large as they are extremely petite. 

Edited by Mumsyto2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My4beautifulboys

Thanks for your replies, I’m glad the brand is alright. When I went in I was fairly relaxed, but after talking  for a couple of mins, she took my Bp, then again straight after. Both similar readings I believe. 
That’s a good suggestion to take my monitor along to the next appointment and compare the both.
I may have to order a smaller sized cuff, as I’m also smaller sized like you mentioned. 
I did notice the Gp’s cuff did seem to go very tight on my arm, tighter than I would have thought. Is that normal or not? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MumsyToBigOnes
11 minutes ago, My4beautifulboys said:
I did notice the Gp’s cuff did seem to go very tight on my arm, tighter than I would have thought. Is that normal or not? 

It should be uncomfortably tight before it starts to deflate if that’s what you mean? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddlepop
38 minutes ago, My4beautifulboys said:

I did notice the Gp’s cuff did seem to go very tight on my arm, tighter than I would have thought. Is that normal or not? 

Normal. It has to go tight enough to temporarily cut off the blood flow. Personally I find it painful. It doesn't hurt as much when it's done manually by a GP pumping up the cuff and using a stethoscope to listen for the pulse. BP machines tend to hurt quite a bit for me. It only lasts for a moment then the cuff starts to deflate. 

I had to get a different sized cuff for my machine. I had to get a larger cuff. The correct sized cuff definitely helps to make it more comfortable and more accurate. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My4beautifulboys

Yes I know it has to go tight, to enable it to measure. But her’s seemed extra tight on my arm, it was actually quite painful. It was the automatic type. 
The omron one doesn’t hurt anywhere near as much, it’s a lot more comfortable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
got my tinsel on
1 hour ago, Paddlepop said:

Personally I find it painful. It doesn't hurt as much when it's done manually by a GP pumping up the cuff and using a stethoscope to listen for the pulse. BP machines tend to hurt quite a bit for me. It only lasts for a moment then the cuff starts to deflate. 

I'm the same.  I have quite a high tolerance to pain except when it involves a BP cuff.  For me it is absolute torture and my skin where the cuff was sitting, kind of stings for a good 5 minutes after.  It's quite bizarre and an absolute bugger as I have hypertension that never went away following pre-eclampsia, so no matter what I'm at the GP for, or how recently he's checked my BP, he's taking it again.  Ouch!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
born.a.girl

Omron is good.  I once had a specialist get readings about ten points lower than mine, consistently. He suggested I get the machine calibrated, was told it was accurate. Person doing that work suggested it was the doctor's hearing.  He was actually the one who insisted I get a machine of my own given my history.

It will be tighter if your blood pressure is up, as it has to take it up beyond your blood pressure, to stop it.   I can tell you that there's nothing like having blood pressure of 240/140, also with a needle in that arm (for good reason) and the machine taking it every fifteen minutes.   Even with the amount of morphine I'd already had, that pain stopped my breath.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soontobegran
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, My4beautifulboys said:


I may have to order a smaller sized cuff, as I’m also smaller sized like you mentioned. 
I did notice the Gp’s cuff did seem to go very tight on my arm, tighter than I would have thought. Is that normal or not? 

The mechanical cuff is decidedly more uncomfortable than the manual, especially so if it is continuing to inflate to find a high systolic blood pressure. 

If it is too painful or it stays inflated too long without giving a reading take it off, rest and try again.

If the cuff is too small it will lose it's seal and break open as it is locating the systolic reading.

 

Edited by Soontobegran
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My4beautifulboys

Thanks for your replies, is a blood pressure of 127/92 considered high?
If I had a more stressful day, and rushing around could that be a reason for it to be higher. I’m a little shocked  I’ve got  high Bp. I consider myself fit and healthy and no other problems. I’ve had four pregnancies that have all been fine. 
When my Gp took my blood pressure a few days ago it was 147/100 I think. Is that dangerously high, if it went up to that. Would I have to present to Ed or not? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddlepop

Your doctor should have told you what range they regard as normal for you and what range is too high. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22Fruitmincepies
On 18/08/2020 at 10:12 PM, got my tinsel on said:

I'm the same.  I have quite a high tolerance to pain except when it involves a BP cuff.  For me it is absolute torture and my skin where the cuff was sitting, kind of stings for a good 5 minutes after.  It's quite bizarre and an absolute bugger as I have hypertension that never went away following pre-eclampsia, so no matter what I'm at the GP for, or how recently he's checked my BP, he's taking it again.  Ouch!

 

On 19/08/2020 at 6:56 AM, born.a.girl said:

Omron is good.  I once had a specialist get readings about ten points lower than mine, consistently. He suggested I get the machine calibrated, was told it was accurate. Person doing that work suggested it was the doctor's hearing.  He was actually the one who insisted I get a machine of my own given my history.

It will be tighter if your blood pressure is up, as it has to take it up beyond your blood pressure, to stop it.   I can tell you that there's nothing like having blood pressure of 240/140, also with a needle in that arm (for good reason) and the machine taking it every fifteen minutes.   Even with the amount of morphine I'd already had, that pain stopped my breath.

 

Interesting! My aunt finds the blood pressure cuff unbearable, and HCPs seem to think she’s being precious and ridiculous. My aunt has multiple conditions (and is under the care of a cardiologist amongst others) and is obese, so needs it taken all the time. I feel terrible for her that her pain is not believed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddlepop

22FMP: Do they use the larger cuff for your aunt? The normal cuff hurts more than the larger cuff when you have a bigger arm. If she's going to them fairly regularly they need to invest in the larger cuff for her. The HCPs who don't believe your aunt are jerks. Mine all know that the machine hurts more than if they manually do it. DD's paed. has been unsuccessfully trying to take DD's BP for the past two years or so and she won't attempt to do it with the machine. She prefers to do it manually on children because it's gentler. Same with DD's GP. My retired GP also knew the machine hurt more. She generally did it manually. At least when they do it manually they hear other things like heart murmurs or anything else odd with the heart.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soontobegran
3 hours ago, My4beautifulboys said:

Thanks for your replies, is a blood pressure of 127/92 considered high?
If I had a more stressful day, and rushing around could that be a reason for it to be higher. I’m a little shocked  I’ve got  high Bp. I consider myself fit and healthy and no other problems. I’ve had four pregnancies that have all been fine. 
When my Gp took my blood pressure a few days ago it was 147/100 I think. Is that dangerously high, if it went up to that. Would I have to present to Ed or not? 

You do not have to present to ER for a BP of 147/100. You would probably have to start some medication if your BP proved to be consistently this level or higher. 

127/92 is okay other than the diastolic reading, this also could require medication if consistently this level.

Your GP will usually request some tests for you if you have hypertension but there is no need to panic at these levels.unless you have other symptoms also making you feel unwell.

Most GP's will ask for a couple of weeks of recordings of your BP from you and go from there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
purplekitty

My GP calibrated my machine against my blood pressure when he took it manually to see if it was reading correctly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FeralZombieMum

I've had to invest in one of these as yesterday my blood pressure at the GP was 177 over 95 and my GP wants me to take daily readings for a couple of weeks. When she took it, the cuff was painfully tight, and she told me it's because I had high blood pressure. I can't relax when it is so painful - which doesn't help my situation!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
born.a.girl
9 minutes ago, FeralZombieMum said:

I've had to invest in one of these as yesterday my blood pressure at the GP was 177 over 95 and my GP wants me to take daily readings for a couple of weeks. When she took it, the cuff was painfully tight, and she told me it's because I had high blood pressure. I can't relax when it is so painful - which doesn't help my situation!

 

I had severely high blood pressure for a few decades, before a cause was found, and yes, it's so painful when it has to be taken up so high to stop the blood flow.

Your systolic is terrible but your diastolic is top normal, and that's the one that's more important, if that's any consolation.

My worst pain was after birth (long story) and they were taking it every 15 mins, but also had a drip in one arm and a 'bung' in the other for the blood tests they were taking every half hour.  It got to 240/140 and despite the truckloads of morphine I was seriously swearing under my breath.

Before you taken any medication, make sure you've had renin/aldosterone measured, and a blood test for your potassium.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FeralZombieMum
2 hours ago, born.a.girl said:

I had severely high blood pressure for a few decades, before a cause was found, and yes, it's so painful when it has to be taken up so high to stop the blood flow.

Wow, that's an awful long time to be suffering! Glad you eventually found a cause, and I hope it was treatable.

2 hours ago, born.a.girl said:

Your systolic is terrible but your diastolic is top normal, and that's the one that's more important, if that's any consolation.

Thank you, it's actually helped a little. I have a lot to learn about the numbers, and what's good/bad. I almost didn't buy a blood pressure monitor, but so glad I did, as I can see it's going to help me. (I almost didn't go to the doctor either, and only went as I had taken the day off work and needed a certificate!)

2 hours ago, born.a.girl said:

My worst pain was after birth (long story) and they were taking it every 15 mins, but also had a drip in one arm and a 'bung' in the other for the blood tests they were taking every half hour.  It got to 240/140 and despite the truckloads of morphine I was seriously swearing under my breath.

That's pretty frightening. Did you have blood pressure issues before this?

2 hours ago, born.a.girl said:

Before you taken any medication, make sure you've had renin/aldosterone measured, and a blood test for your potassium.

GP has ordered lots of tests, but I am not sure if the renin/aldosterone is one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...