marple

Help with house decision

marple

Yes ta pp. Northminster  looks lovely, we were after a bit more land though. I call that the blue house. I like it but DH wasn't keen ,not sure why. Maybe as no shed as he wants a big shed or space to put one.

The other is nice too but we were trying to avoid a pool. We have had an enormous one for 12 years and are bit over them,

I keep coming back to 12 O'connells Louth Park.

(

JomoMum
1 hour ago, marple said:

I keep coming back to 12 O'connells Louth Park.

That’s a lovely location. Close to both central Maitland and Greenhills. And Maitland Park is great too. 

The main bathroom being located off the kitchen/dining will mean that your kids have to go through there on their way to and from their bedrooms - would that be a problem for you/them?

• Like 1

Gumbette
On 18/08/2020 at 12:44 PM, Jersey Caramel said:

C is probably the sensible option but I would go B and get a couple of sheep to keep the grass down ;)

Definitely B, you can fix the house but not the block or location,  and yes get a goat maybe, as sheep need shearing.  Or in the words of my mother, "if you can't eat it concrete it", although that's a lot of concrete...

• Like 1

marple

I'm getting all the houses muddled up now, on this thread. 

Just found

16 Portobello Thornton

and 64 Newcastle Road East Maitland ( drool but not land)

11 Avalon Dive Thornton

88 Metford Road Thornton

9 Hely Ave Fennels Bay

Thanks to those playing along at home and helping. I'm assuming you aren't real estate agents bahaha

I know it seems a huge area I am looking at but as I said relatives from East Maitland through to Morriset and then children in Sydney. 

SplashingRainbows

Louth Park is a lovely suburb  do your research on flooding but yes that would be my pick of your bunch too if you want land.

East Maitland house looks freezing to me. Do you have any experience with those older houses in the Maitland climate? It’s not something I’d aspire to. The climate on the lake is significantly milder - cooler in summer and warmer in winter and less windy . I couldn’t go back now  

i would avoid Thornton personally. 

Fennell bay has some lovely spots but also troublesome spots. I think it will gentrify. Wouldn’t send my child to the local public school though. 

• Like 1

Lesley225

I'm enjoying vicariously house hunting.  

Like the Metford Rd one thornton which the real estate site says is at Tenambit.  You might as well have an ensuite and is less dated than the earlier one and a much better kitchen.

64 Newcastle Road East Maitland - no this is the kind of place i like - not into modern but wouldn't want to be on the highway

16 Portobello Thornton - for a slightly older modern i like the style (much more character) but Thornton has really grown on the past few years and is still growing and is almost up the gate so not so nice a view.

9 Hely Ave Fennels Bay - too much to fix and too few pics of inside the house

• Like 1

marple

Thanks pp. I'd never heard of the suburb before ( Fennels) so good to know. Regarding temp in the house,I could do without a heater tbh, as I don't feel the cold, but if there is a place without a/c I would put it in immediately.

marple
11 minutes ago, Lesley225 said:

I'm enjoying vicariously house hunting.  

Like the Metford Rd one thornton which the real estate site says is at Tenambit.  You might as well have an ensuite and is less dated than the earlier one and a much better kitchen.

64 Newcastle Road East Maitland - no this is the kind of place i like - not into modern but wouldn't want to be on the highway

16 Portobello Thornton - for a slightly older modern i like the style (much more character) but Thornton has really grown on the past few years and is still growing and is almost up the gate so not so nice a view.

9 Hely Ave Fennels Bay - too much to fix and too few pics of inside the house

Yes NewcastleROad is the highway really isn't it. I agree that Portobello has been done nicely for a pretty new house. I always thought Thornton was dodgy ( no offence to anyone who lives there - this is very old info, but I can see it is getting busy)

I'm thinkin of crossing off Fennells Bay as a suburb. I need to cross off more!

Have also crossed of Mannering Park as when we went there this particular house looked straight onto the nearby power station. House was beautiful though. You can't really tell from photos.

Edited by marple

JomoMum
1 hour ago, marple said:

16 Portobello Thornton

and 64 Newcastle Road East Maitland ( drool but not land)

11 Avalon Dive Thornton

88 Metford Road Thornton

16 Portobello is a stunning house. The road it overlooks though is very very busy and there are more housing developments going in either side. The rest of the housing estate is relatively new, but overall I would say undesirable. 

64 Newcastle is just of the New England Hwy near a major intersection. This would be extremely noisy with general traffic as well as trucks, ambulances 😔

11 Avalon Drive is over the other side of the New England Hwy in a beautiful acreage area. This would definitely be worth a look. While there would probably be some background Hwy noise, there aren’t traffic lights nearby so there wouldn’t be the issue of breaking noise etc. 

88 Metford Road is absolutely in Tenambit. I would probably avoid that area. Also on the main road to Morpeth, Wallalong etc. 

• Like 1

Lesley225
1 hour ago, marple said:

Thanks pp. I'd never heard of the suburb before ( Fennels) so good to know. Regarding temp in the house,I could do without a heater tbh, as I don't feel the cold, but if there is a place without a/c I would put it in immediately.

Up Maitland way it can get very hot AND cold.  I quite like the Tenambit area.  What have you heard about Thornton?  Shopping centre is a bit down at heel but i  like the Chinese takeaway.  My step sister had had two houses there though i usually only go at CHristmas.  

Gotten a bit sprawling though, almost meeting Beresfield and so many new developments from before on the Raymond Terrace road adn all the way to East  Maitland.  I do quite like the  East Maitland area as long as you're up high. 

• Like 1

marple

Not sure what I heard about Thornton - but it would have been 20 years ago when my parents moved that way sp probably completely irrelevant. 

11 avalon drive sold yesterday!

marple

I think I'm scrapping all of todays finds! This is hard. Still not even sure if my place has sold which adds to the stress. Don't think I've slept properly for a week!

marple

I love 28 Glover East Maitland but it has a pool instead of a shed!

Have I mentioned 30 quarry road teralba? 

I need to go to bed and start again next week when I know for sure my house is sold. 

Edited by marple

Sentient Puddle

I lurve 28 Glover st. Never been anywhere near those towns so no help at all but what a gorgeous house!!!!!!

• Like 4

born.a.girl
31 minutes ago, Sentient Puddle said:

I lurve 28 Glover st. Never been anywhere near those towns so no help at all but what a gorgeous house!!!!!!

I love it too.   The kitchen stove setup is a bit odd, though.  Obviously there may have been something preventing it, but I think they'd have been better off bringing it forward an using that space as a storeroom.  I just imagine taking boiling pots of pasta around the corner.

• Like 4

SplashingRainbows

28 Glover st is a big yes from me OP. Excellent location. Lots of options for good schools. Obviously need building and pest etc and a walk through but it’s one of the better ones you’ve posted IMO. 

it may go very quickly ... 

• Like 1

SplashingRainbows

Teralba is not bad. It’s growing quickly and lots of money is heading that way. My friends have two kids in the primary school and she is very very happy. 

the zoned high school is Lake Macquarie High. The principal is working very hard to improve things there. It’s not right for my kids but it’s not one I’d rule out immediately. What age schooling are we considering?
the local catholic high school is St Paul’s and there are a number of Christian high schools in 15 -20 minutes as alternatives. 

• Like 1

blueskies12

28 Glover st is lovely, the kitchen is a bit odd, but it is a lovely house.

• Like 1

marple
13 hours ago, blueskies12 said:

28 Glover st is lovely, the kitchen is a bit odd, but it is a lovely house.

Spoke to estate agent and its gone already!

• Sad 1

franklymum
1 hour ago, marple said:

Spoke to estate agent and its gone already!

Oh bugger! That is a really lovely house. Seems cheap for 640-690 but perhaps the quoted price wasn't accurate? 

• Like 1

marple

It went within that range. That's all he said. Boo again

marple

Oh and my house is definitely sold. Yay ? I have sellers remorse lol

Edited by marple
making clearer
  • Like 6

MooGuru

Congratulations  on selling Marple.

• Like 1

marple

Yep have looked at  7 regent. Gorgeous but crazy busy as near a big intersection. I've listed it upthread. We've crossed it off sadly.

• Like 1