marple

Help with house decision

marple

I've posted before that we are moving out of Sydney and moving north to be near both sets of our aging parents who conveniently live within 20 minutes of each other.

Would you buy House A or House B ( both are similar distances from parents but half an hour from each other)

House A - gorgeous 1921 weatherboard , fully renovated, 900 sqm block, lovely garden, waterfront reserve frontage to lake. Great street ending in a lakeside park. 100 m to local shops. BUT - the street it is on and the next street seem to be the only nice streets. The rest of the place is pretty rough and ready, including the local shops which are mostly empty except for an IGA and a chemist , and covered in grafitti . I can only go by myschool to check out the local school but it is mostly  under the national average on Naplan results. 

House B - lovely  newish country style weatherboard ( think gables and a big front verandah), on 2ha of flat land. . No local shops but a 5 minute drive to my preferred school which according to myschool is way over the national average on Naplan. . BUT  - my DH and I are not known for our gardening ability,  though the agent said we may be able to subdivide. AND it costs $300k more than the other leaving us a lot less change from leaving Sydney.Also pretty isolated as it is at the end of a long street of acreages. 

C - rent before buying - BUT the idea of moving twice in a short space of time makes me feel ill. 

What would you do?

Riotproof
Posted (edited)

I would rent before buying because you just don’t know how a suburb is until you live in it. 
eta I would also be doing a harsh, harsh, harsh purge before moving the first time. 

oh, and really I’m not sure I’d consider naplan results should really be a factor. Rent in the area of your preferred school and see how it goes. 

Edited by Riotproof
  • Like 16

VVV

D - keep looking for other houses to enter the market

• Like 19

seayork2002
2 minutes ago, Riotproof said:

I would rent before buying because you just don’t know how a suburb is until you live in it. 
eta I would also be doing a harsh, harsh, harsh purge before moving the first time. 

This, but also this probably should go the other thread but I have no idea what my sons schools Naplan's results are

• Like 2

can'tstayaway

I love land so would choose the acreage property. 

• Like 5

marple

I have been looking. For months really. These are the 2 I like the best by a mile. Grrrr. I suppose no house is perfect. 

marple
Just now, can'tstayaway said:

I love land so would choose the acreage property. 

Yes, as they say they aren't making any more of it. I tend to agree. It's just that a beautiful old house is so rare up the coast. Lots and lots of big brick new builds. Lots and lots of fibro shacks. Hard to find something in the middle. 

( Also I've always wanted a Welsh Pony). 😁

• Like 1

can'tstayaway

Lol re welsh pony

If it’s your forever home, you have time to look out for an old style home to move onto your property and eventually do it up. Rent out/farm stay/air b’n’b the other house, or potentially children/parents might live in it. That’s the beauty of having so much land. 

• Like 3

molinero

OP, please don't take the agent's advise about subdivision being possible until you have run this past someone else..there might be other planning controls you are not aware of that could make this difficult or curtail what you want to do with the land after subdividing it. Something else to take into account is the fact you say you are not the best at gardening or maybe are not interested in gardening - however even house A sounds like it would still have a largish garden that would have to be maintained. 

Both properties sound amazing though.

• Like 10

overlytired

I think C.

You can change a house but you can't change a location. What about buying a lot and building or finding an old house someone's looking to tear down and moving it to that hypothetical empty lot?

• Like 3

hills mum bec

I agree with others to rent first so that you are not rushing into a decision on where to live that you might regret.

• Like 1

Ruf~Feral~es

My first thought was how old are your kids and would they want pets, including a pony!  You've answered that one right there.  I grew up with horses on agistment, and my biggest wish would have been to have them in the 'backyard'.    So would my parents, as they had to drive me there and back.   

• Like 1

marple

Yes will just be DH and I plus an 8yo.  I am the "child"who wants the pony. And the llama . And a cow. Lol. Perhaps ducks ( there are 2 dams on the big property). 

• Like 4

triangle

Wouldn't bother re school scores.  I find fit with my children far more important.

I'd pick acreage and new house. Old houses, even if renovated will always need things done. 

if its within budget i'd pick that one. i lived out of town, 10 minutes to supplies, didn't bother me in the least. I was more organised re cooking and meal plans, bought less take away. But we were out and about for school and owrk so it was fine when we did need stuff.

• Like 2

Jersey Caramel

C is probably the sensible option but I would go B and get a couple of sheep to keep the grass down ;)

• Like 5

can'tstayaway

Oh!  I want a llama too!  Have you seen miniature cows?  I nearly bought a small herd once...  Nothing better than your own home grown eggs. Geese are fabulous as guard animals and they are great lawn mowers too.

Ahhh, I dream of living on acreage again.  

• Like 4

Silverstreak

I guess it depends on how much you like the acreage lifestyle and how you're going to realistically live in it. The idea of acreage and a pony etc might seem nice, but are you going to realistically be able to fit in caring for a pony, tending the acreage, being able to subdivide etc? Plus, not being near local shops could become annoying and expensive after a while.

I actually think the first house sounds a lot more convenient, plus a lot cheaper, but maybe look for a third house that's somewhere in the middle e.g. not as expensive or remote, but closer to a preferred school?

Good luck!

• Like 7

marple

ooooo. miniature cows! I was thinking of a miniature horse and letting it in the house. I figure you may as well go all out. Geez the local vet would love us to move there.

( I'm a tad scared of geese) Would have chickens though I've heard they attract rats. 

SeaPrincess

I would probably rent for a bit and get to know the area better. But then I remembered we moved interstate and bought a house first. At that stage we only had 1 baby, so schools weren’t a consideration.

born.a.girl

I also wouldn't take the naplan figures too seriously. Those kids may have come further than the ones with the better scores.  If kids go to school reading and writing, of course they're going to get better scores than kids who go to school without a word of English.

After my experience I'd actively avoid a high performing state school, hindsight's brilliant though.

• Like 2

seayork2002
6 minutes ago, Silverstreak said:

I guess it depends on how much you like the acreage lifestyle and how you're going to realistically live in it. The idea of acreage and a pony etc might seem nice, but are you going to realistically be able to fit in caring for a pony, tending the acreage, being able to subdivide etc? Plus, not being near local shops could become annoying and expensive after a while.

I actually think the first house sounds a lot more convenient, plus a lot cheaper, but maybe look for a third house that's somewhere in the middle e.g. not as expensive or remote, but closer to a preferred school?

Good luck!

Absolutely this, DH and were close to buying (well going and looking into buying) a house on an island, then we thought how the heck to we do every practical including buying a boat.

We have great lifestyles in our heads but 99% of them I want to remain there in our heads until DS finishes school.

So if you work out the practical side of the acreage lifestyle go for it!

But renting first is still what I would consider

• Like 1

Dianalynch

tour the schools in the area, then choose the area you can live in based on that...good luck with the move it sounds very exciting 

• Like 6

daisy007

I’ve lived on land my whole life (minus 3 years when DH and I lived in town whilst saving a deposit) and we’ve decided to give it away for the time being. It’s just to time consuming for us with young kids, the upkeep , the commuting etc. I never in a million years thought I would move into a city but we’re currently looking for town houses within walking distance of schools/work/shops. Horses will be going onto agistment and we’re going to have a complete lifestyle change. Honestly I’m really excited about it and I felt like a weight had been lifted off our shoulders when we made the decision. Life with land is wonderful and has so so many benefits but it does also have its downsides and only you can decide if it’s a lifestyle you want. Sorry that was a bit all about me and off topic..in conclusion I suggest option C.

• Like 5

marple

Yes I know what you mean. My DH grew up on acreage though and is keen  ( the gardens won't be spectacular - just done). I've never lived anywhere other than Sydney and I feel like moving to a slightly larger but completely suburban block than I have now,  is almost not worth it. House A  is soooo beautiful though. Need to move house A to block B. Aaarrgh!

The suggestion of moving an old house onto the back half of the block is brilliant. Ta "cantstayaway". Would need to research with the council though about what is allowed. But great idea. 

Thanks all for ideas. Need to think

Ozquoll
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, marple said:

I have been looking. For months really. These are the 2 I like the best by a mile. Grrrr. I suppose no house is perfect. 

True, but you can fix a house and you can't fix the location. Options A and B both sound wrong for you TBH (location wise).

Edited by Ozquoll
  • Like 4