minichester

Mirena removal & private health

minichester

Has anyone had a Mirena removed under anaesthetic? I’m having mine removed this week under GA after 2 unsuccessful attempts to remove it by my obgyn. 
I thought my private health cover included gynaecology but turns out it didn’t - so I increased my cover and postponed the procedure for 2 months hoping that the insurer wouldn’t consider it a pre existing condition and would cover it after the 2 month waiting period. I’m waiting on a decision from them tomorrow or Wednesday about whether they’ll cover it. 
Anyone have any similar experiences? I’m so annoyed that a simple and fairly inexpensive  procedure could potentially cost me $3000 out of pocket if I’m not covered!

Meepy

I have had it done twice.  Private gynaecologist in private hospitals, covered by health insurance.  Very little out of pocket cost.  Doesn’t take long at all.

• Like 1

SKP1972

I had mine removed in surgery and replaced with a new one as the OB had cut the strings too short on the previous one, covered by Health fund once i paid the 250.00 excess for day surgery, done in a private hospital in Sydney - well worth it.

• Like 1

SplashingRainbows

No phi advice sorry but my sympathies. It would be immensely frustrating to have to try three times to get it out, and a GA too!

i hope your health fund comes to the table  

• Thanks 1