VVV

Do you feel like your kid/s wreck your house?

VVV

I know this is superficial but I’m really over my 4 year old wrecking stuff in the house. She’s not doing it intentionally or maliciously but just by doing what she’s doing she kinda wrecks stuff. Like she’ll spit out her toothpaste but half of it is still on her and then she’ll go and sit on the lounge so then lounge is covered in toothpaste. It goes on like this all day. We aren’t wealthy so it’s not like she’s wrecking priceless artwork but we work hard for the things we have and I just cringe when I see her trashing it. I do have the conversations with her around being careful etc but she’s 4 so yeah. Can anyone relate? I know in the grand scheme of things it’s just a house and just stuff but I like things to not get trashed so easily.

• Like 2

Riotproof

My stairs have a hand print smear of dirty hands going right up the wall. 
My padded dining chairs (that we were given BC) are no longer cream at all. 
Occasionally, I get the steam cleaner out and stick them in the sun for hours, but there is literally no coming back from this ever. 

• Like 1

Froggilicious

Yes, my kids are xactly the same, drives us nuts. They are getting better as they get older though, my nearly 8 yo is far more responsible with stuff than she was as a 4 year old. THe 6.5 yo is slowly improving. The 4yo makes up for it all though!

melanieb530

Yes

and wait till the joys of teenage parties at your home! There’s always something that accidentally doesn’t survive! 

Hands Up

Yes. We recently had the inside of the house painted and yet we still have finger prints up the hallway walls and up the stairs.

They are also really messy. Right now they have turned the couch into their cubby with blankets draped everywhere and every toy they own lined up along the hallway. Sigh.

MsLaurie

The never ending trail of toys from one room to another!! Toys are for playing, and i’m glad they’re being used but sheesh.

QuisbySchmoo

Your post reminded me of this video that crossed my feed yesterday...

• Like 3
  • Haha 16

RichardParker

Yes.  I don’t worry about it too much but it really upsets DH.  The only way I know to manage it is to keep kids outside for as much time as possible. 

• Like 1

VVV
9 minutes ago, QuisbySchmoo said:

Your post reminded me of this video that crossed my feed yesterday...

LOL!!!!

• Like 2

Dianalynch

Yes, I buy furniture from ikea and other cheap online stores. Only yesterday ds spilled a very large cup of milk on the sofa. IKEA. Removable and washable covers. It’s the only way. One day I may have nice furniture. 

we recently moved out of our apartment, we’d been there just two years, I had to repaint the kid’s  bathroom walls they were filthy and scrub the walls in ds’s bedroom. I also paid for a detail clean, which included paying extra for  cleaning the walls throughout. 

im resigned to it, but I don’t like it, dh doesn’t notice

• Like 2

Daffy2016

Yes, absolutely. DD is nearly 3 and the couch, rugs, chairs are trashed. Plus the car, car seat, most of my clothes... it drives me up the wall.

VVV
3 minutes ago, Dianalynch said:

Yes, I buy furniture from ikea and other cheap online stores. Only yesterday ds spilled a very large cup of milk on the sofa. IKEA. Removable and washable covers. It’s the only way. One day I may have nice furniture. 

we recently moved out of our apartment, we’d been there just two years, I had to repaint the kid’s  bathroom walls they were filthy and scrub the walls in ds’s bedroom. I also paid for a detail clean, which included paying extra for  cleaning the walls throughout. 

im resigned to it, but I don’t like it, dh doesn’t notice

I think you have the right idea - a lot of our furniture is pre kids and not cheap and I just shudder when it’s getting trashed. IKEA is probably the way to go. 

Also, I don’t mind toys and stuff everywhere as I can always clean that up, it’s the actually wrecking of stuff - scratches, stains etc that I hate. 

• Like 1

Ellie bean

It doesn’t really bother me. It bothers DH but I remind him he grew up in effectively a show room where he never felt comfortable and he doesn’t want that for our kids so he tries to let it go. 

• Like 2

gracie1978

DS isn't too bad, one of his friends is diabolical

Ozquoll

My kid is neater than me!!  🤫🤭

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bethlehem Babe

Yes. They just broke the trampoline. $110 for new springs. 

Toy kitchen emptied. Lunches delivered. 

Couch is a mess. Somehow it’s turned grey at the end. Keep steam cleaning it but it doesn’t improve much or for long. 

Mooples

100% yes! Ours are 2 and 4 and everything in our house is trashed, the dog has helped them along the way too. We have cheap, crappy furniture for this exact reason. We are hoping one day to move to a nicer house and buy nicer furniture when we can trust them a bit more. We have half jokingly said we will light a match to this house when we leave and just set fire to the destruction lol. 

• Haha 2

hmmph

currently shoo-ing our pet budgies away from gnawing on our beams. It's not just the kid destroying the house....

Green Sage

Hard wood floors, leather couches, and our house still looks trashed. The walls are filthy. You just have to let it go. 

• Like 4

anatomicalheart

They really need to just stop living here. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

Ernegirl

Not the child no, but definitely the dog. That's a whole other thread!

Lucrezia Bauble

yes they used to, it’s a bit better now. one of mine has pretty much taken over a spare room with his collection of planes and model airports.....kids can be bad, but IMO pets are worse. we don’t have any ATM but our cat used to claw at our screen door and friends who have dogs seems to be constantly dealing with wrecked sofas, rugs, gardens....

seayork2002
2 hours ago, Ozquoll said:

My kid is neater than me!!  🤫🤭

I didn't want to be the first one to post this but same

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3rd time lucky
Posted (edited)

Yes. But getting better as they’re getting older. Finally updating a few things now they’re a bit older and loving keeping the house tidier...

most of their mess is contained to their rooms now at least!!

edited for spelling 

Edited by 3rd time lucky

kimasa

No. But I've come to the realisation over the years that my kid is some kind of weirdo anomaly child.