Ozquoll

Foods you gotta try 🤩

Ozquoll

A bit fluffy...what are some really great foods/recipes that you love and think more people should know about? A couple of mine:

PONZU SAUCE - I bloody love Ponzu sauce! It's soy sauce with Yuzu juice (and sometimes other citrus juices too). I love it on veg that otherwise might not be too exciting, like bok choy or spinach. Add a few drops of sesame oil, some toasted sesame seeds - yummm. I like the Spiral Foods brand one the best.

TRITICALE - a cross between wheat and rye. I grind triticale grain into flour and add it to my homemade bread. It gives a gorgeous rich, nutty flavour. You can also buy it flaked to make into porridge or add into baked products.

POMEGRANATE MOLASSES - gorgeous tart/sweet thick syrup made from (obvs) pomegranates. Lots of uses for it - one of my favourites is to drizzle it over roasted capsicum. Even better if you add some finely sliced red onion, chopped parsley and pine nuts. 

HARIRA (lamb and chickpea soup) - the recipe is in Stephanie Alexander's Cook's Companion. You won't regret it.

Over to you peeps!

• Like 5

seayork2002

Following closely

• Like 3

Jenflea

The new Bubble o Bill icecream in the tub!

Its delicious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fennel Salad

Peppermint Crisp

I tried it after reading a thread some time back on favourite candy bars (or some such). I was circumspect and it always felt it looked a bit cheap and nasty.  I was wrong, EB was right. Peppermint crisp is a perfect balance between peppermint candy and chocolate. 

Actually, i might have one now. My stash is always stocked up on PCs

• Like 5

TheGreenSheep

Harissa paste,  I use it in shakshuka

Sriracha Sauce and Kewpie mayonnaise together on just about anything

Miso paste, I make a miso chicken ramen on regular rotation 

• Like 1

Ozquoll

Peppermint Crisp is so good 😋. Used to be even better back when it had the smooth chocolate finish with the lines scored into it at convenient bite-sized intervals 🤩. The new choc coating makes it look like it came out of the wrong end of a wombat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Fennel Salad
Posted (edited)

Wombat poop?! I'm glad i read this AFTER scoffing my choccy, haha (which by the way, hit THE spot)

Edited by Fennel Salad

Lucrezia Bauble

Lindt dark chocolate with sea salt. it’s next level. 

truffles - not “truffle flavouring”  - but an actual truffle.

agree with the Op  on the pomegranate molasses too.

• Like 2

IamOzgirl

Love Ponzo!! 

Will ponder on what I wish to share... 

Green Sage

Best Foods mayonnaise. I put it on almost anything. But it’s especially good on eggs.

• Like 1

22Fruitmincepies

Meredith marinated goats feta. With a jar of that in the fridge I can make nothing into a fabulous meal. 

• Like 10

Jenflea

Ooh yes to the marinated feta!

overlytired
1 hour ago, Lucrezia Bauble said:

They also make a dark chocolate with chili. It has a nice bite. Not strong, just a hint of heat.

1 hour ago, ~LemonMyrtle~ said:

Best Foods mayonnaise. I put it on almost anything. But it’s especially good on eggs.

Fries dipped in mayonnaise, but they have to be the good, greasy, real fries (as opposed to frozen or otherwise processed ones).

Zeppelina
1 hour ago, Lucrezia Bauble said:

We bought a truffle (ok, 15g of one) from trufflemelbourne.com and it was soooo good. Also some truffle-infused oil (real truffle, not truffle flavouring!). Highly recommend.

• Like 1

PuddingPlease
2 hours ago, Lucrezia Bauble said:

How would you recommend preparing/serving a real truffle?

Luci

Black Tunnel Cheese. So this is a French cheese, which is matured for 2 years in a dark tunnel.  DS, who doesn't like cheese couldn't fathom leaving a perfectly good piece of cheese sitting in a tunnel for 2 years until it goes putrid with mould, and then eating it.  I admit it did smell strong, my car stank, the fridge stank, whole house stank.  And my mouth was hurting a bit after I ate it. But it was worth it for the amazing flavour!

• Like 3

nom_de_plume
8 hours ago, Zeppelina said:

We bought a truffle (ok, 15g of one) from trufflemelbourne.com and it was soooo good. Also some truffle-infused oil (real truffle, not truffle flavouring!). Highly recommend.

Oh god, truffle infused salted butter on freshly baked bread. It's the best thing ever!

Also truffle salt and butter on roasted corn.

• Like 2

ckmelb
8 hours ago, 22Fruitmincepies said:

Meredith marinated goats feta. With a jar of that in the fridge I can make nothing into a fabulous meal. 

I was going to say the same thing. I spread it on toast too (on its own or with avocado)

Sticky balsamic - not just on salad, but can also jazz up a grilled cheese on toast with a little drizzle

Homemade polenta chips are much easier than you would think. Just make sure to bake them for simplicity. You can freeze the extras and cook at a later stage because the batch makes heaps

Pumpkin, cashew & parmesan dip (packaged)

The pear and Manuka honey Whitaker's chocolate. It's amazing

• Like 1

WaitForMe
8 hours ago, 22Fruitmincepies said:

Theres a local cafe that serves it on the side of a number of their dishes. I don't like goats cheese typically but love this stuff!

• Like 1

WaitForMe

Nutritional yeast, is my addition. I just mentioned this in another thread. I'd never heard of it before I started eating more vegan dishes. No need to be vegan to enjoy it though.

Its got a umami, nutty kinda flavour. You just sprinkle it on things or mix it into sauces. 

• Like 3

a letter to Elise.

Truffle anything. 
Comte cheese

lemon curd on a pavlova with strawberries. 

• Like 1

a letter to Elise.

A dollop of labneh on lightly cooked broccoli. 

• Like 2

WaitForMe

Oh I thought of another one.

Lee Kum Kee Chilli Garlic sauce. Disturbingly, I can't find it on Coles or Woolies I hope they haven't stopped stocking it! This stuff is amazing, add it to asian style sauces, in wraps, on salads. One of my fave simple dinners consists of a salad of spinach leaves, cherry tomatoes, red onion, corn, and a couple of fried eggs on top. Then add a dollop of chilli garlic sauce, chop the whole thing up and mix together and eat.

• Like 1

22Fruitmincepies
1 hour ago, WaitForMe said:

Oh I thought of another one.

Lee Kum Kee Chilli Garlic sauce. Disturbingly, I can't find it on Coles or Woolies I hope they haven't stopped stocking it! This stuff is amazing, add it to asian style sauces, in wraps, on salads. One of my fave simple dinners consists of a salad of spinach leaves, cherry tomatoes, red onion, corn, and a couple of fried eggs on top. Then add a dollop of chilli garlic sauce, chop the whole thing up and mix together and eat.

If you run out of sauce just put some of the feta on instead! 

Jenflea

I buy the Maggi chilli garlic sauce but can only get it from an Asian grocer. 

• Like 1