Jump to content
Dadto2

DD lost basketball shoes drama

Recommended Posts

Dadto2

I'm irritated, but not sure I have the right to be.. DD11 is normally pretty good with her stuff, but left her new expensive basketball shoes at training, The centre has a really good lost property, everything gets logged and kept for 3 months, so if stuff gets left behind, there's a good chance it will turn up in lost property. Anyway I went back there the next day and they weren't there, tried lost property at school just in case and posted on the school FB page (for the year group). 10 days later and they hadn't surfaced. My ex wasn't very impressed as we'd only just bought them, so I bought some new ones.

Anyway 1 week later one of the kids in her team (she goes to our school) said she had them, her parents picked them up after training. So she got them back, but I had to fork out for a new pair.. no idea why they took them home and kept them for 2 weeks, they could have left them there and they would have ended up in lost property, or handed them in or taken them to school or responded when I posted on FB! I guess they forgot.... they are my ex's friends, not that it's relevant really.. but anyway. I guess they were trying to help, but it wasn't very helpful. WDYT?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kiwi Bicycle

DS lost his school shirt at swimming, a monogrammed one named. The teacher sent him home in a generic shirt that was unnammed.

My guess is it was accidentally picked up by another child but the parent just decided to keep it ( there was a note to the parents to check their child's items for mix ups).

Cynical me would say they did plan to keep the shoes, but for some reason       ( the shoes weren't comfortable, or feeling guilty) decided to return them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
can'tstayaway
Posted (edited)

You have the right to be irritated but I think it’s just one of those situations. Annoying but hopefully never happens agains. 

Sometimes venting helps just to get it out. 
 

Edited to add - DS’s expensive school hat has turned up after 3 years. His name is still clearly visible (in multiple spots). I suspect someone had taken it to use and graduated last year so returned it to lost property. 

Edited by can'tstayaway
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dadto2
31 minutes ago, can'tstayaway said:

 

Edited to add - DS’s expensive school hat has turned up after 3 years. His name is still clearly visible (in multiple spots). I suspect someone had taken it to use and graduated last year so returned it to lost property. 

haha that was kind of nice them. A thief with morals.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
laridae

I would guess the kid took them, parents didn't know, found out and made her give them back, or she developed a guilty conscience and gave them back.

Probably not a huge issue depending if her feet are still growing much? She can just wear them when the others wear out. Or you could sell a slightly used pair.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crombek

It happens a lot I think. We just got ds' clearly labelled jumper back after a term. It just randomly appeared in his class cubby hole after multiple checks of lost property, posts on FB & getting office staff to check as well. Zero explanation given! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TigerQueenofSheeba

It's annoying but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most likely an accident on someone's part.

Sometimes if something is not right in front of me I might forget about it. I've done it lots of times. It's not on purpose, but I genuinely have so much going on that I struggle to keep up with every single little thing I need to do.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BusbyWilkes

How does your bball team do messages? Is that via Facebook? Our kids’ teams text /email game reminders etc. so if we lost something, I would message the team that way to check if anyone had seen them. There may have been ulterior motives in the girl taking them, but not necessarily. Totally frustrating for you though.

I’d be annoyed at DD too. At 11, she *should* be more able to look after her belongings. For something non-essential like bball boots, I wouldn’t replace them so quickly. Other sport/sand shoes would have to be worn instead. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PuddingPlease
1 hour ago, TigerQueenofSheeba said:

It's annoying but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most likely an accident on someone's part.

Sometimes if something is not right in front of me I might forget about it. I've done it lots of times. It's not on purpose, but I genuinely have so much going on that I struggle to keep up with every single little thing I need to do.

I agree, I strongly doubt anyone intended to steal or keep the shoes.

Likely they picked them up, took them home and they were put in a gym bag or cupboard and completely forgotten. A couple of weeks later someone found them while tidying or emptying a bag and they were returned.

Totally reasonable to be annoyed about it but I agree with the PP above who said it's probably just one of those things. 

My prep lost her school jacket earlier in the year. It turned up in one of the other prep classrooms a term or so later, I have no idea what happened but was glad to get it back.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dianalynch
1 hour ago, TigerQueenofSheeba said:

It's annoying but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most likely an accident on someone's part.

Sometimes if something is not right in front of me I might forget about it. I've done it lots of times. It's not on purpose, but I genuinely have so much going on that I struggle to keep up with every single little thing I need to do.

That’s me too, if I accidentally took someone’s shoes home I’d forget to return them for 3 months - I don’t borrow anything from people due to this tendency of mine 

 

I’d just say next time don’t be so quick to replace the shoes, can she wear trainers? Things turn up but it often takes a month or so 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
born.a.girl
11 minutes ago, PuddingPlease said:

I agree, I strongly doubt anyone intended to steal or keep the shoes.

Likely they picked them up, took them home and they were put in a gym bag or cupboard and completely forgotten. A couple of weeks later someone found them while tidying or emptying a bag and they were returned.

Totally reasonable to be annoyed about it but I agree with the PP above who said it's probably just one of those things. 

My prep lost her school jacket earlier in the year. It turned up in one of the other prep classrooms a term or so later, I have no idea what happened but was glad to get it back.

Yeah, I think it's wise to give it the best possible interpretation.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dadto2

yeah I'm probably overthinking it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dianalynch

^^i’d be irritated too DD2, so I don’t think you’re completely overthinking it, it is in fact very annoying...I hope your dd’s feet grow slowly so she gets the full use of the two pairs of shoes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
literally nobody

If it were my Dd i wouldn’t have bought her the 2nd pair, id have made her save up for a new pair herself. Glad you got them back eventually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luci

I would be annoyed but would tend to think it's just one of those things.   I have occasionally had kids leave things at my house and I am a bit slow to return them, even though I always have good intentions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frogcal

Likely unintentional, as at that age parents probably aren't unpacking their bags for them. Still annoying though.

My DS was given a pair of almost new sports shoes on the last day of school before remote learning 1.0, and I found them when school went back weeks later. Thanked them profusely, but they probably spent weeks thinking I was a rude cow. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kreme

I’d be annoyed. Either leave the shoes there in lost property or take care of them and return them. Sure you might forget to bring  them to school for a day or two but by the time a couple of weeks has gone past that’s either hopelessly disorganised or else someone took them on purpose. 
 

 I would like to think the best of people but sometimes experience teaches you to expect the worst. My daughter left her brand new netball, clearly labelled with her name, at the courts. The association put a photo up on their fb page and I responded saying yes it was mine. We went there the next time they were open and somebody had already taken it from lost property. The person in the office said people come in and just look for the best ball and help themselves. If my kid suddenly had a ball with someone else’s name on it I’d be asking questions but it seems not everybody cares. 
 

My neighbour got a text to say her son’s school shoes were in lost property (a friend saw them). By the next day they were gone. Who steals school shoes?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
born.a.girl
29 minutes ago, Kreme said:

I’d be annoyed. Either leave the shoes there in lost property or take care of them and return them. Sure you might forget to bring  them to school for a day or two but by the time a couple of weeks has gone past that’s either hopelessly disorganised or else someone took them on purpose. 
 

 I would like to think the best of people but sometimes experience teaches you to expect the worst. My daughter left her brand new netball, clearly labelled with her name, at the courts. The association put a photo up on their fb page and I responded saying yes it was mine. We went there the next time they were open and somebody had already taken it from lost property. The person in the office said people come in and just look for the best ball and help themselves. If my kid suddenly had a ball with someone else’s name on it I’d be asking questions but it seems not everybody cares. 
 

My neighbour got a text to say her son’s school shoes were in lost property (a friend saw them). By the next day they were gone. Who steals school shoes?

 

Oh for sure I wouldn't necessarily think the best if they didn't turn up again.   My response was specifically to the fact that they turned up after a few weeks, and as many have said, without knowing exactly what happened, it's feasible that it was well intentioned, even if misplaced.

In year 3 my daughter had a friend who'd come over reasonably often - one hot day they flung off their clothes and splashed in a clam shell pool in the knickers.  Trying to work out from the pile whose was whose, I discovered each item of her clothing had a different name.  Apparently when she needed a new item of clothing for school, her mother would say 'oh just go and get one from lost property'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PuddingPlease
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kreme said:

I’d be annoyed. Either leave the shoes there in lost property or take care of them and return them. Sure you might forget to bring  them to school for a day or two but by the time a couple of weeks has gone past that’s either hopelessly disorganised or else someone took them on purpose. 
 

 I would like to think the best of people but sometimes experience teaches you to expect the worst. My daughter left her brand new netball, clearly labelled with her name, at the courts. The association put a photo up on their fb page and I responded saying yes it was mine. We went there the next time they were open and somebody had already taken it from lost property. The person in the office said people come in and just look for the best ball and help themselves. If my kid suddenly had a ball with someone else’s name on it I’d be asking questions but it seems not everybody cares. 
 

My neighbour got a text to say her son’s school shoes were in lost property (a friend saw them). By the next day they were gone. Who steals school shoes?

 

If I have understood the OP correctly, the family who took the shoes home are friends of the girls mother. In light of that I really think that the most likely explanation in this situation is that they took them home to ensure they weren't stolen by someone else and then forgot they had them. 

I'm not sure if this happened at a school either, if it's a separate sporting club then they might only attend once or twice a week. 

Those are pretty terrible stories though, stealing items from lost property is pretty appalling behaviour.

Edited by PuddingPlease
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CallMeFeral

Yeah that's really annoying, 

4 hours ago, Dadto2 said:

yeah I'm probably overthinking it!

You're not overthinking it, it was pretty crappy and you're completely entitled to be annoyed. 

There's not much you can do or say about it except venting here, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ellie bean

We accidentally had another kids’ school hat for about a term, dd put it in her bag by mistake and we didn’t find it till I cleaned out her bag weeks later...we then gave it back straight away, I still feel bad but it was not intentional 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lalala4

Yep my DH is one of those well meaning but absent minded people who would have taken it to look after it for you, and then not got his act together to actually tell you or return it quickly. On behalf of your team parent, sorry...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zogee

I’d be annoyed too! A school hat is IMO different to a pair of shoes that cost probably in excess of $150. I’d prioritise returning those straight away and I’m often really bad at that kind of thing (library books are always overdue 😅)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
can'tstayaway
1 hour ago, zogee said:

I’d be annoyed too! A school hat is IMO different to a pair of shoes that cost probably in excess of $150. I’d prioritise returning those straight away and I’m often really bad at that kind of thing (library books are always overdue 😅)

The school hat I was referring to, cost more than that 😔  The consequence of not having their hat is a Friday detention, so the loss of the hat was acutely felt. 

I don't think the cost of an item directly equates to the inconvenience of the loss or, the hassle of replacing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
L27
On 15/08/2020 at 7:54 PM, can'tstayaway said:

The school hat I was referring to, cost more than that 😔  The consequence of not having their hat is a Friday detention, so the loss of the hat was acutely felt. 

I don't think the cost of an item directly equates to the inconvenience of the loss or, the hassle of replacing it. 

That's crazy to me!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...