*bucket*

Nerve biopsy anyone?

*bucket*

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has had a nerve biopsy and can tell me about their experience. I have idiopathic peripheral neuropathy, nearly entirely sensory. I've had it for maybe 10 years, but the neurologist just redid all my bloodwork (showed nothing), and nerve conduction studies (way worse than previously) and then consulted with a colleague and they thought the biopsy would be useful. I didn't realise quite what it involved, as when he mentioned biopsy, I was thinking of a skin punch biopsy, which seems to be fairly minor, it was only afterwards I discovered a nerve biopsy is quite different, so I didn't ask many questions. It won't happen for a while (I'm in Melbourne and I think it may be a day surgery, and they aren't happening just now). 

Who did it? Will I need to see someone else (surgeon?) or does the neurologist do it? What was recovery like? Do you have ongoing issues (I believe numbness can be one, but not sure if I'd notice as my feet are numb anyway)

Thanks.

Paddlepop

I have no idea, sorry OP. I'm interested to know more so I'll be following this thread. 

• Like 1

*bucket*

Neurosurgeon's office called today (that answers who does it!), I have an appointment in a couple of weeks, so I'll be able to ask questions then, and hear what he has to say. I'll try to remember to pop back in and update.

• Like 3

MooGuru

I'm interested in knowing more too. Good luck

• Like 1

Soontobegran

Yes I have had two, one for sensory nerve and one for motor nerve.

The areas were numbed with local ( ankle and inner thigh) and a small incision is made, it is not like a punch biopsy as they have to carefully remove some nerve without damaging it too much and I had a couple of sutures.

The areas biopsied never got the sensation to touch back and this was years ago.

Neither revealed the reason for my neuropathy.

Good luck.

• Like 2

*bucket*

Saw the neurosurgeon today, and feel much happier about the process. It's about a 2 inch incision to take a 5cm piece of the sural nerve (love the mixed units of measurement!). Fairly light general anaesthetic. Dissolving stitches. Full recovery in about two weeks, a few days with my leg up after the procedure, to reduce swelling. He's going to do my left ankle, as I broke my right one a few years ago and still have plates and screws and the like, and he said the nerve may be damaged from the trauma, or the operations that followed, so he'd prefer the undamaged ankle. I'm on his list, but as it isn't urgent, no idea when it will be, just sometime after surgery resumes in Melbourne. I'd guess 6-8 weeks, presuming come surgery resumes mid September

• Like 3