Jump to content
22Fruitmincepies

Purple gin?

Recommended Posts

22Fruitmincepies

Has anyone tried the 23rd street distillery purple gin? I want to buy it as a present but I don’t want to waste money if it’s a very unusual flavour that the recipient might not enjoy (especially at $80 a bottle).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RichardParker

Haven’t tried it, but I don’t believe money is ever wasted on gin. 

  • Like 16
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
littlepickle

What is the actual flavour?

I just tried a rhubarb and ginger gin and it was awful.......

My Australian Green Ant gin is delicious.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22Fruitmincepies

“What’s your whim? Say it with gin. Our Violet Gin is the mood ring of beverages. Transform the broody blues of Butterfly Pea flower to ultraviolet with tonic. A bouquet of heady Australian native botanicals including lemon myrtle, finger lime and pepper berry abounds. Express your spirit. 

 

Distinctively Australian, artfully balanced. Fresh juniper, pine and lively citrus aromas precede a spicy warmth. On the palate, layers of intriguing flavour unfold, from familiar juniper to juicy finger lime, mellow wattle seed and lingering zesty and peppery spice.”

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
littlepickle

Yes please......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CallMeFeral

Oooh I tried a colour changing gin that sounds like it might have been that one - it was delicious and also spectacular visually to see it change colour - a lovely present. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spr_maiden

Oh I was looking at the 23rd street distillery gins (the purple and the botanical) last week. I'm keen to know if delish too. Love a good gin. 

The Melbourne Gin Co Dry gin is super tasty fyi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
got my tinsel on
53 minutes ago, 22Fruitmincepies said:

“What’s your whim? Say it with gin. Our Violet Gin is the mood ring of beverages. Transform the broody blues of Butterfly Pea flower to ultraviolet with tonic. A bouquet of heady Australian native botanicals including lemon myrtle, finger lime and pepper berry abounds. Express your spirit. 

 

Distinctively Australian, artfully balanced. Fresh juniper, pine and lively citrus aromas precede a spicy warmth. On the palate, layers of intriguing flavour unfold, from familiar juniper to juicy finger lime, mellow wattle seed and lingering zesty and peppery spice.”

haha, I've just received some Butterfly Pea seeds to plant.  Botanical name Clitoria ternatea.  Can you guess why?

the colour is beautiful though and the plant is a great green manure apparently and the flowers can be used for dye.

 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Acidulous Osprey

I didn't like Ink gin much.  It didn't go well with any of the tonics I tried.  It was OK over ice, but just OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lou-bags
Posted (edited)

Sounds fancy!

I have a bottle of Wise Organic Gin on the go at the moment which is ok. Bought it on a whim at a tasting while I was down in Dunsborough recently. Their pink gin was strawberry heaven (but not sweet). 

But my last bottle was a hard act to follow- Kangaroo Island Wild Gin (with native juniper I believe) which I bought after the fires. My gosh I was sad when I finished that. 
 

(sorry, none of that is helpful lol)

Edited by Lou-bags
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22Fruitmincepies

I think I need to try that strawberry gin! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lou-bags

Apparently they distill with the strawberries, then filter them out, blend them up and put them (or maybe just the juice?) back in.
 

(Disclaimer... I was a little tipsy when doing the tasting so this *may* have affected my opinion at the time. Also the woman serving me was this bad ass German woman who was a lot of fun. I was having a cracking time 🤣

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22Fruitmincepies
Just now, Lou-bags said:

Apparently they distill with the strawberries, then filter them out, blend them up and put them (or maybe just the juice?) back in.
 

(Disclaimer... I was a little tipsy when doing the tasting so this *may* have affected my opinion at the time. Also the woman serving me was this bad ass German woman who was a lot of fun. I was having a cracking time 🤣

Where was this? I need to go! I’ll be getting down there kid free next year😂. When we were last down south we managed to do zero wine gin or beer tasting, and DD even refused to go to the chocolate factory. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CCABW

Omg - I need all the gins!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MooGuru

Well this thread won't  be good for my bank balance

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CallMeFeral
7 minutes ago, MooGuru said:

Well this thread won't  be good for my bank balance

Just to help with that, Shiraz gin is my favourite. I've had to quarantine it for treats because I could just drink it every day. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
can'tstayaway
1 hour ago, Acidulous Osprey said:

I didn't like Ink gin much.  It didn't go well with any of the tonics I tried.  It was OK over ice, but just OK.

Someone who agrees with me!  I thought the Ink gin was just ok too. The colour change wasn’t that special either. I’ve had to listen to so many people rave about it though. 

10 minutes ago, CallMeFeral said:

Just to help with that, Shiraz gin is my favourite. I've had to quarantine it for treats because I could just drink it every day. 

I do enjoy the Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz gin. It’s damn tasty on its own and with a whole variety of mixers. I found the taste dulls over time so you’ve got to drink it quickly. 😂 

Their Christmas gin is good too and gets us in the festive spirit. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lou-bags
1 hour ago, 22Fruitmincepies said:

Where was this? I need to go! I’ll be getting down there kid free next year😂. When we were last down south we managed to do zero wine gin or beer tasting, and DD even refused to go to the chocolate factory. 

Wise winery. I went maybe a month ago - was down south for a kid free weekend with a couple of friends. It was a package deal thing from a company that does girls weekends. Soooo relaxing.
 

We’re off south again this weekend actually- family trip this time. Feeling immensely lucky to be living in a state where we can travel around like this!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22Fruitmincepies
44 minutes ago, Lou-bags said:

Wise winery. I went maybe a month ago - was down south for a kid free weekend with a couple of friends. It was a package deal thing from a company that does girls weekends. Soooo relaxing.
 

We’re off south again this weekend actually- family trip this time. Feeling immensely lucky to be living in a state where we can travel around like this!!! 

A still at a winery! A girls weekend sounds fabulous, and yes, so lucky  

DD had a brilliant time doing the climbing thing in Dunno (next to Clancy’s), and loved going horse riding. The kids probably had the most fun at the Busselton foreshore shipwreck playground, and the skatepark nearby. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
.Jerry.

I love the Pavlova Gin.

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_ER_2000003095_NDGIS700/giselle-pavlova-gin-700ml  - very smooth

 

And surprisingly the Gordon's Sicilian Lemon Gin is delicious (for me)

https://www.taste.com.au/articles/gordons-released-lemon-gin-so-long-live-summer/ibvwe3lg

 

 

I'm currently doing a gin tasting each week with friends. ;)  Open to suggestions. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dadwasathome

We’ve been enjoying negronis this winter, mostly made on Bombay Sapphire.

the Four Pillars Shiraz is also very yum, and DP’s favourite atm is Archie Rose, from Rosebery. And for something a little more liquor like, there’s also a nice sloe gin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnythingGoes

I'm enjoying the Four Pillars spiced negroni at the moment. It's nice mixed or on it's own.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMarchMasterchef
Posted (edited)

We visited 23rd street distillery when camping in Renmark.  DH said the gin was nice.  I was pregnant so couldn't try.  Sorry that's not much help! 

You might be able to ask Dan Murphys for a taste prior to purchase. 

Edited by MadMarchMasterchef

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22Fruitmincepies
1 hour ago, MadMarchMasterchef said:

We visited 23rd street distillery when camping in Renmark.  DH said the gin was nice.  I was pregnant so couldn't try.  Sorry that's not much help! 

You might be able to ask Dan Murphys for a taste prior to purchase. 

Really? I’d been planning on getting it delivered as she’s all locked down on the other side of the country, but maybe DH and I need one too... actually that’s a good idea, I’ll buy one and share it around my friends here and if it’s good I’ll organise delivery to my friend. And then we can discuss it 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...