Sign in to follow this  
RockingChair

Student Teacher Supervisor

RockingChair

Does anyone know what qualifications are required to become a student teacher supervisor for undergraduate students?

Also what would the salary be?

Trying to find out information for a friend who is currently a relief primary school teacher but looking into supervisory roles 😊

*Marty*

I used to supervise teaching students - no quals required other than a teaching degree.  A few years ago I think it was something like $20/day for the duration of the practicum. Not sure if this is what you mean?

• Like 1

onetrick

If you mean a supervisor then it's as above. The only requirement is that I think you cant ne a first year teacher yourself.

Then there are student teacher coordinators per school. Again no qualifications, but ours did some sort of internship as she coordinates student teachers at multiple schools and gets paid more than us mere teachers ;) cant remember the salary but it was advertised to all of us at the time and was over 100k a few years ago so no idea of now.

And then I guess you have the mentors at the university. These would get paid by the university. One of my friends does this and she said the negative is that most staff are on contracts so that they dont have to get paid for the summer break. Contracts are March- October.

RockingChair

Thank you 😊

She is interested in supervising student teachers along their journey to become a teacher.  I think she is referring to whilst they are on placement but not sure.  I would have thought a mentor and supervisor are two different things?  But she is wanting to be employed by the university.

Meepy

When you are on placement as a student teacher at the uni where I did my teaching qualification,  your university tutor or lecturer is the person who checks up and visits you.  There is an admin person who organises the visits.  I’m not sure how it works at other unis or states.  

• Like 1

Ninja_mum

Yes as Meepy said, if she wants to work at a university and supervise student teachers then she would most likely be a tutor at the University. Probably a casual and likely progressing or finished a Masters or PhD. I’m not sure on current rates of pay and how they compare to CRT. I know of some universities that hire sessional staff for this work too, more of the experienced teacher but not an academic crowd. It can be a bit who you know in your network to get this kind of work. 

Expelliarmus
Posted (edited)

My university mentors were lecturers and teachers at the University. 

My supervisors were registered teachers employed by the department of education. 

The lecturers and tutors were people with or studying PhDs. 

Edited by Expelliarmus

jesse083

In NSW i think its now $40 per day as a teacher at a school supervising the prac teacher on their class.

supervising university students throught the uni is not worth the money. it would depend on the uni but my DH did it one year and he got a set amount of $ and a list of tasks (e.g. how often to make contact and when). he only had a few students to supervise who were allocated to him, he had no choice in who or how many - they were assigned based on proximity to where we live. 

RockingChair

Thanks everyone 😊 Have passed on your replies.