Jump to content
Just Another Cat

NBN connection

Recommended Posts

Just Another Cat

NBN has recently become available in my area, yay!

I contacted Telstra to connect and they sent a technician out. He had a look at our internet router and said the one we have is fine so he didn’t need to do anything.

Telstra are now saying we are connected to the NBN and have charged $295 for the technician that didn’t do anything.

My questions is, how much were you charged to connect to the NBN and if we are connected should we have the nbn box on the inside and outside of our house? Nothing new has been installed.

It’s fibre to the node of that helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AdelTwins

We have a hybrid connection so this may be different. The box outside was connected while we were at work. You should be able to see it.

A technician came into the house after the outside box was installed and replaced the wiring inside the house to the internet access point. Then they connected another small black box with 4 lights that connects to the router.

It took numerous visits to get it working properly.

What type of cord do you have going into your router? The small flat telephone cable or a round thicker cord? Is your house new?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SummerStar
Posted (edited)

Edited by SummerStar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
laridae
Posted (edited)

Fibre to the node usually doesn't require a site visit. They just switch it over at the node (which is in the streets somewhere).  Then you just plug in your modem like usual. If your modem is old it may need replacing, but if it's newer it just switches over. FTTN is pretty similar in set-up to ADSL.

I don't remember being charged anything, but I think we had to sign a new contract for 24 months maybe. 

I'd be rather peeved that they sent someone out to to a site visit for FTTN and charged you for it tbh. They could have easily asked what modem you already had. I think I'd put in a complaint about that as they should know that it didn't require one even if you didn't. 

Edited by laridae
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMarchMasterchef

You generally shouldn't be charged anything to 'connect' to the NBN because the government pays for that.  However the new router is your responsibility to upgrade if necessary. It sounds like they thought you were asking for advice and have sent somebody out to give advice and are charging accordingly.  Im not sure why they didn't do that over the phone for free though.  They could have just asked you what model it was. 

Also a heads up to anyone building a new place you shouldn't be charged a fee to connect to the NBN.  A lot of building companies will try to add one in but again they are double dipping on something the government has paid for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMarchMasterchef
10 minutes ago, SummerStar said:

Nothing because we upgraded cable with the same company and they had sent letters to say current customers get a free upgrade. Regret ever doing it though its nowhere near as good as my old cable connection. I should have left it alone. 

We are on cable and holding out until we have to switch  (NBN only just came available here).  We will be getting FTTC.   Ive done a bit of reading up  of other peoples experiences with cable - FTTC  and in more cases it seems to be worse.    So depressing how much potential the NBN could have had and then what actually happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BornToLove

We weren’t charged anything for installation. Our set up process was the same as @AdelTwins with a box outside and a tech coming and running a connection from that box to the router.

We did pay for the router as the one we had wasn’t nbn compatible. We went with Aussie Broadband. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seayork2002
17 minutes ago, BornToLove said:

We weren’t charged anything for installation. Our set up process was the same as @AdelTwins with a box outside and a tech coming and running a connection from that box to the router.

We did pay for the router as the one we had wasn’t nbn compatible. We went with Aussie Broadband. 

Yes we are planning on going with Aussie Broadband when we actually remember to organise it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jenflea

We have fibre to the node and the technician did have to access the house to make sure the line connected properly and to test the speeds after it was connected. 

They sent out the new modem and a video link on how to connect it which was fine but on the day the tech had to come in(leaving the front door WIDE OPEN so my  inside cat could have escaped FFS).

TPG said it just needed to be connected but then a tech knocked on the door, which we weren't ready for lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
liveworkplay
Posted (edited)

We have FTTP. We have a box on the outside of the house, one on the inside and a new modem. We had numerous workers access the outside of our property and one the inside. It cost us nothing. We are with Telstra.

Edited by liveworkplay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mumpteen

I'm guessing the charge is for the technician call out. Did you specifically request that? As PP have said, FTTN doesn't require anything installed at your home, just that you have a compatible modem/router which it sounds like you do. Sucks that they charged you $295 to find that out instead of asking a couple of questions on the phone. They would have known you were FTTN from your address.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Acidulous Osprey

We had at least 8 teams of technicians turn up to connect us to the NBN.  It got hilarious after a while.  We were not charged for any of the visits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just Another Cat

Thanks for all the replies, it’s been very helpful. I wasn’t sure if it was normal to be charged to connect to the NBN but now I know, thanks. 

I didn’t request the technician visit. The modem I have is only a year old and was sent out by Telstra when I connect with them. I was never notified of a change.

I contacted Telstra this afternoon and they will be refunding the charge so that’s a relief. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
annodam

Zilch, we stayed with Optus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMarchMasterchef
55 minutes ago, Just Another Cat said:

Thanks for all the replies, it’s been very helpful. I wasn’t sure if it was normal to be charged to connect to the NBN but now I know, thanks. 

I didn’t request the technician visit. The modem I have is only a year old and was sent out by Telstra when I connect with them. I was never notified of a change.

I contacted Telstra this afternoon and they will be refunding the charge so that’s a relief. 

That's great to hear Telstra doing the right thing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Acidulous Osprey
13 minutes ago, annodam said:

Zilch, we stayed with Optus. 

That has nothing to do with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ytt

We paid $15,000 to get fiber to the premises. Something DH wanted and it wasn't supported in our area 🙄 We tried to get the street to put in as we are semi rural and it people can work from home. Only one was interested but decided not to.

They now can piggy bank off our connection for a fraction of the price. Whatever, just hope that if we have to sell due to DH not having a job because of stupid COVID it adds value to the house like DH said it would 🙄

 

Oh go Aussie Broadband, they are awesome. They had to upgrade infrastructure because everytime DH did a speed check it would knock down the major node (ok not technical term) about half hour away lol They said they could tell every time he did a speed check 😆

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Greatmum

We didn’t pay anything for connection and they sent us a new modem for nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
annodam
On 11/08/2020 at 6:25 PM, Acidulous Osprey said:

That has nothing to do with it.

What do you mean it has nothing to do with it?

I didn't pay anything upfront to connect to the NBN as I have been with Optus since 1999.

If I had've changed providers, then yes I would've had to pay, I know  because I called up & compared packages.  

Had 3 Technicians over to complete the job, this was a year ago now.

My mother also with Optus in another part of Melbourne, didn't pay anything either for her upgrade/connection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMarchMasterchef

^ I think PP is saying (correctly) that you shouldn't pay to connect regardless of staying with optus or going to other provider.  There may be charges for a new modem if required but that's independent of the ISP chosen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMarchMasterchef
On 11/08/2020 at 6:22 PM, ytt said:

We paid $15,000 to get fiber to the premises. Something DH wanted and it wasn't supported in our area 🙄 We tried to get the street to put in as we are semi rural and it people can work from home. Only one was interested but decided not to.

They now can piggy bank off our connection for a fraction of the price. Whatever, just hope that if we have to sell due to DH not having a job because of stupid COVID it adds value to the house like DH said it would 🙄

 

story on similar situation, possibly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ytt
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, MadMarchMasterchef said:

Oh wow, so similar... well the first part then I went bla bla bla as I am so not technically minded lol.

I just sent my husband the link. DH at the height of getting fiber was canvasing local and state politicians - both in power and opposition. We say he is like a dog with a bone lol and very much on the spectrum...

DH did know that anyone else  would tap in at a fraction of the price he paid but that was just what had to happen - plus I got my amazing kitchen ;) (I agreed to FTTP if we renovated our interior 😆)

Edited by ytt
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
YodaTheWrinkledOne
7 minutes ago, ytt said:

Oh wow, so similar... well the first part then I went bla bla bla as I am so not technically minded lol.

I just sent my husband the link. DH at the height of getting fiber was canvasing local and state politicians - both in power and opposition. We say he is like a dog with a bone lol and very much on the spectrum...

DH did know that anyone else  would tap in at a fraction of the price he paid but that was just what had to happen - plus I got my amazing kitchen ;) (I agreed to FTTP if we renovated our interior 😆)

When we were building, we simply couldn't justify the additional cost. It was more than $10,000 to do the upgrade (I think we were told it was nearly $13K to get it down). We asked some neighbours to chip in to reduce the cost, none were keen. So we stuck with FTTN. A few months later, neighbours asked us if we ended up getting FTTP and we said no, the cost was too much. They were disappointed - they were planning to piggyback off us paying for the set-up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ytt
1 hour ago, YodaTheWrinkledOne said:

When we were building, we simply couldn't justify the additional cost. It was more than $10,000 to do the upgrade (I think we were told it was nearly $13K to get it down). We asked some neighbours to chip in to reduce the cost, none were keen. So we stuck with FTTN. A few months later, neighbours asked us if we ended up getting FTTP and we said no, the cost was too much. They were disappointed - they were planning to piggyback off us paying for the set-up!

We are an established area in our late 40's/50's I asked DH if anyone has piggy back off as and he said no - the idiots lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMarchMasterchef
On 17/08/2020 at 7:27 PM, ytt said:

Oh wow, so similar... well the first part then I went bla bla bla as I am so not technically minded lol.

I just sent my husband the link. DH at the height of getting fiber was canvasing local and state politicians - both in power and opposition. We say he is like a dog with a bone lol and very much on the spectrum...

DH did know that anyone else  would tap in at a fraction of the price he paid but that was just what had to happen - plus I got my amazing kitchen ;) (I agreed to FTTP if we renovated our interior 😆)

Well good on him for trying to bring the importance of this to light!   It is pretty disappointing that NBN is such a postcode lotto when we all pay the same rates of tax regardless of where we live. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...