Sign in to follow this  
VVV

Nights after day care are horrible!

VVV

My DD is 4.5 and attends day care 7 days a fortnight. In the evenings after she’s been to day care all day, I find that they are truly horrible. She won’t listen, she cries at the drop of a hat, she’s rude and defiant. I know she’s exhausted and has had a big day but I really dread these evenings. I do try and get her to bed early and she is usually asleep by 7:15. Can anyone relate?

Fizgig

Oh my gosh yes! My daughter is slightly older now (5.5) but when she had day care she was almost impossible. So, so exhausted as she just spent every second playing and was also quite hungry. I always had a snack in the car for her on the way home. Even just trying to get in the house would result in a meltdown - crying and screaming and refusing to move. I often had to sit with her for 20-30 minutes before she was calm enough for me to actually be able to make dinner or start on the night time routine. Sometimes I would just climb in the shower with her and that would calm her down after about five minutes and then we could get on with the night. The only other thing that worked was I would sit on the edge of the bed with her and pretend that she was pushing me over. Falling backwards on the bed while holding her would amuse her enough that she would calm down.  Sometimes we had to do this for a while. It was really hard!!!

• Like 1

VVV
Posted (edited)

Oh thank you Fizgig, now I don’t feel so alone. That was exactly me tonight, she was just crying so much when her Dad brought her in and I had to spend at least 15-20 minutes just soothing her and trying to distract her. 

Edited by VVV
  • Like 1

PrincessPeach

Hearing you loud & clear!

mr 4.5 goes to sessional kinder & those nights I aim for a 6.30pm bedtime otherwise he is beyond feral & results in multiple wake-ups throughout the night.

Dianalynch

Oh yeah, I remember those days, had to remember to have crackers in the car for the trip home, the rush to get dinner bath bed done before she lost it and missed the window, sitting with her every night while she fell asleep as she wouldn’t have it any other way 

memories 

I feel your pain, it gets better but boy does it suck while it’s happening and it feels like it goes on for an eternity 

• Like 1

Redchick2

I remember those days! Lots of good ideas above. It also happened FYOS but it does get better. (Except when my teens are hungry and tired - I swear they revert to acting like 4 year olds!) 

• Like 1