Lifesgood

Outback NSW trip

Lifesgood

DH has arranged for us to go to Sturt NP in the Sept school hols. I'm trying to figure out where else in the area and en-route we should visit / stay.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Bourke? Broken Hill? White Cliffs? 

Open to recommendations but given it is 13+ hours from Sydney we don't want to divert too far off the direct route there and back.

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Bourke is good. White Cliffs is a great day stop. Broken Hill has a lot to see.

Are you driving Sydney-Dubbo-Cobar-Wilcannia-Broken Hill, sticking to bitumen roads?  Or are you planing to do some dirt track driving? We have been out that way a couple of times, various different paths.

• Like 1

seayork2002
Posted (edited)

As a kid we did syd to Adelaide and reverse via Nyngan, Cobar, Broken Hill (not in that order possibly) a few times it was all bitumen from memory

Edited by seayork2002

Lifesgood
2 hours ago, YodaTheWrinkledOne said:

Bourke is good. White Cliffs is a great day stop. Broken Hill has a lot to see.

Are you driving Sydney-Dubbo-Cobar-Wilcannia-Broken Hill, sticking to bitumen roads?  Or are you planing to do some dirt track driving? We have been out that way a couple of times, various different paths.

We will head there the quickest route, via Dubbo-Nyngan-Bourke but we are going to stop overnight only in Mudgee on the way there and then drive straight through from Mudgee.

We have five nights in Sturt NP and then another 4 nights to make our way back to Sydney - trying to figure out what to do with those 4 nights in terms of outback towns / areas. 

Mrs Zee

Gee, hope it's refundable. I wouldn't be bookinga trip now when advice is still avoid non essential travel.

• Like 4

Lifesgood

I don't know if it is refundable. A friend booked and paid for 5 nights accommodation in a dirt cheap homestead in the desert which we will share. Even if it isn't refundable we aren't going to lose sleep over it if we can't go.

Anyway, have you got any advice on places to visit in outback NSW?

• Like 1

MooGuru

Is there a reason you want to stay in Mudgee rather than say Dubbo?

Tinselonthefloor

A night in the white cliffs underground hotel is a great experience

• Like 1

FeralRebelWClaws

There is heaps to do in Dubbo! The zoo, the japanese garden, the gaol, the royal flying doctors experience.

Lifesgood
43 minutes ago, MooGuru said:

Is there a reason you want to stay in Mudgee rather than say Dubbo?

It is simply a stopover to break up the trip. We will be leaving after work and only want to drive a few hours to get out of Sydney, stay in a motel and get up at the crack the next day and do a 10 hour drive to Sturt NP.

35 minutes ago, Tinselonthefloor said:

Yes it sounds fun, but I think it is all booked out for the school hols. Have sent them an enquiry.

22 minutes ago, FeralRebelWClaws said:

There is heaps to do in Dubbo! The zoo, the japanese garden, the gaol, the royal flying doctors experience.

I know, we love Dubbo and have been a couple of times before, this trip is really about the outback as we have never been that far west.

• Like 1

Let-it-go

We went to Tibooburra and even further north over into Qld many moons ago.  Now that town was Outback.  Stayed at the Tibooburra pub.  Weirdest place ever.  Our family still talks about that pub 😆

Vague memory of Cobar being quite nice, Bourke wasn’t a place you’d stay but that was a long time ago.  

• Thanks 1

Lifesgood

We are staying about 30km from Tibooburra - it is our closest town to restock groceries etc

Let-it-go

It was 30yrs ago and it was just absolute far outback and this strange tiny town of very strange people living in the middle of nowhere.  This is pre days of 4wd’s and camping being quite so mainstream and such big business.  I have no idea how we even knew to go there!!  I’ll have to dig up my old photos so I can remember the landscape.  We went in July and I remember the weather was blissful.  We were swimming in a river.

YodaTheWrinkledOne
12 hours ago, Tinselonthefloor said:

And booked out for the next 2-3 months (we were in White Cliffs a couple of weeks ago, chatted to some local friends there, apparently very busy in the last 6 weeks or so, hotel and caravan park are booked solid until October apparently, loads of grey nomads heading through there)

If you are staying in Sturt NP and the roads are all open, do a drive out to Camerons Corner, check out the pub there, see the rabbit fence, etc. Milparinka  is also interesting, as is Tibooburra itself. Roads are currently closed out there at the moment, have been for a couple of days, due to open today or tomorrow (last I heard).

Are you staying at the Mt Wood NP homestead? That's on the eastern side of the NP. There are a few walks, etc to do around the park, check out the website for information. You'll be driving back and forth a bit if you want to check out the park. It's very big. 

13 hours ago, Lifesgood said:

We will head there the quickest route, via Dubbo-Nyngan-Bourke but we are going to stop overnight only in Mudgee on the way there and then drive straight through from Mudgee.

We have five nights in Sturt NP and then another 4 nights to make our way back to Sydney - trying to figure out what to do with those 4 nights in terms of outback towns / areas. 

I didn't realise there was a bitumen road directly from Bourke to Tibooburra/Sturt NP. 

On your way out to Sturt NP, I would try to get to Dubbo for your overnight stay. That's what we aim for when we are heading west. 

Stop in Broken Hill on your way home and check it out. There is plenty to do there for a couple of days. 

We have done White Cliffs as a day thing. It's 200km from BH to Wilcannia and another 100km from Wilcannia to White Cliffs. White Cliffs has opal mining and you can do a "dug-out" tour (White House Dugout tour) as well as a opal mine tour (Red Earth Opals), or just fossick yourself on the opal mine outskirts (we have found slivers of opal, kids are thrilled and still have their slivers). There is a decent caravan park with cabins at Willcannia (Warrawong On The Darling).

• Thanks 1

ausfarmerswife

Don’t stop in Bourke, it’s not pleasant at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lifesgood
3 hours ago, YodaTheWrinkledOne said:

If you are staying in Sturt NP and the roads are all open, do a drive out to Camerons Corner, check out the pub there, see the rabbit fence, etc. Milparinka  is also interesting, as is Tibooburra itself. Roads are currently closed out there at the moment, have been for a couple of days, due to open today or tomorrow (last I heard).

Cameron's Corner and the rabbit fence are already on the to do list. Will look into Milparinka. Tibooburra will be our supply town so definitely going there. Hopefully  the roads are ok by then - we want plenty of rain now and a dry spell in Sept 🙏

Are you staying at the Mt Wood NP homestead? That's on the eastern side of the NP. There are a few walks, etc to do around the park, check out the website for information. You'll be driving back and forth a bit if you want to check out the park. It's very big. 

Yes we are staying at Mt Wood homestead. The main purpose is for hiking and birdwatching 🤓

I didn't realise there was a bitumen road directly from Bourke to Tibooburra/Sturt NP. 

I don't know if it is sealed road - we have appropriate vehicles though (in fact we have a Subaru Outback 😂). Google maps says it is the fastest route. Will research it a bit more before we go.

On your way out to Sturt NP, I would try to get to Dubbo for your overnight stay. That's what we aim for when we are heading west. 

Will see how we go, not fans of driving on country roads at night, too much wildlife. Aim is to get as far as we comfortably can and then find a motel.

Stop in Broken Hill on your way home and check it out. There is plenty to do there for a couple of days. 

We have done White Cliffs as a day thing. It's 200km from BH to Wilcannia and another 100km from Wilcannia to White Cliffs. (this made me laugh - such an Australian thing to say. A 600km day trip🤣). White Cliffs has opal mining and you can do a "dug-out" tour (White House Dugout tour) as well as a opal mine tour (Red Earth Opals), or just fossick yourself on the opal mine outskirts (we have found slivers of opal, kids are thrilled and still have their slivers). There is a decent caravan park with cabins at Willcannia (Warrawong On The Darling).

Thanks heaps for all of this, I feel like we have enough info now to plan the trip. Do you live in the area?

YodaTheWrinkledOne

No, but we have been up that way a few times now.

Bourke isn't as bad as it used to be. We were there a few weeks ago and had a lovely lunch!

Let-it-go

Bourke to me was a ‘wow’ moment that shocked my middle class teenage self.  We stopped for fuel and food and I’ll never forget seeing young kids with petrol cans tied on to their faces.  So many police vehicles everywhere, bars on windows.  It was such a depressing place 30 yrs ago 😢.  God, I hope it’s changed. 

YodaTheWrinkledOne
22 hours ago, Let-it-go said:

Bourke to me was a ‘wow’ moment that shocked my middle class teenage self.  We stopped for fuel and food and I’ll never forget seeing young kids with petrol cans tied on to their faces.  So many police vehicles everywhere, bars on windows.  It was such a depressing place 30 yrs ago 😢.  God, I hope it’s changed. 

yeah, nah, didn't see anything like that a few weeks ago. It is better now than what we saw 5 years ago. Apparently a few outback towns have received community funding in the last few years to improve the environment, create dedicated youth spaces, etc. Looks to be helping. 

• Like 1

ausfarmerswife

Bourke is my closest town for essentials (although the mailman brings my groceries so I avoid it like the plague) and yeah nah wouldn’t stop there I know what it’s like first hand. Trust me it’s not a place you want to stop!

• Like 1

YodaTheWrinkledOne
2 hours ago, ausfarmerswife said:

Bourke is my closest town for essentials (although the mailman brings my groceries so I avoid it like the plague) and yeah nah wouldn’t stop there I know what it’s like first hand. Trust me it’s not a place you want to stop!

It looks heaps better than it used to be! it was fine for a lunch stop the other week.   

IamOzgirl

Hahaha, you know what the other forum will day about an buyback and not being a real 4WD!!!

Are you coming to down south at all this winter? Would be nice to meet. I'm stuck here for the long haul after today's results 😞

• Like 1

Lucrezia Bauble

i’ve been to Bourke for a wedding....many many years ago. i don’t know, it was interesting - you do really feel like you’re in the outback (well, to my city mind) - we were at the grooms parents farm the day after the wedding and an emu walked down the street! not often you see that.  i caught  a plane there, it was like a milk run, flying out of Dubbo, stopping at Brewarrina (sp) and then bourke - the view from air was stunning - that real red of the outback. 

Mudgee  is lovely. definitely do Mudgee. Dubbo is good with the zoo. could you do Coonabarabran? there are apparently a couple of amazing celestial event this year....jupiter or saturn close, we are in the centre of the milky way - and i thought there was an observatory at Coonabarabran? or is that at Parkes? anyway - have fun, sounds great. 

RichardParker
Posted (edited)

There’s a telescope observatory at Coonabarabran- called Siding Spring- you cant actually look through the telescope but there might be some smaller, tourist ones nearby that still operate. In any case, looking with the naked eye at the night sky is stunning from that part of the world.  That’s where Prof Brian Cox and Julia Zemiro did their star-gazing special from.  There’s also Warrumbungle National Park and Pilliga Pottery.  It’s a lovely town to stop in- but I’m biased 😉.

There is a radio telescope at Parkes, about 3 hours south. That’s the one from The Dish.  

Now I’m homesick. 

Edited by RichardParker
  • Like 3

Lucrezia Bauble

yeh DH’s parents did a stint in Coonabarabran  - she was the local florist there - they loved it. although i must confess OP...i explained my previous post to DH and he laughed and said “it’s like an offical scientific fixture - NASA people work there, it’s not open to a couple of punters to walk in and look at Saturn” - so, i feel i may have given a bum steer there ...but anyway - you clearly get an awesome view of the sky!