Minnie80

Headache 4 year old

Minnie80

Hi, 

My husband and I have been arguing about this all week. For the past week, every day, my son suddenly says that his "head hurts," and when I ask where, he points to the middle of his head.

He's active and happy and doing head stands and crashing into waves on the beach. But at least once a day, he says "his head hurts." Sudden headaches in a child is something that worries me a lot. My husband is insisting that my son is "messing with me" and "doing it for attention." This is really p*ssing me off. Why would my son say that for attention. One time, we were going out and going down the steps of our apartment building and he  stopped in the middle of going down and said that "his head hurt." So, he suddenly decided mid descent that he wants attention? Does that make sense? I'm worried about this. Any advice?

tinselfoil hat

I think you should listen to your intuition. I ignored my daughters tummy aches for too long thinking it was something all kids say, turns out it was a food intolerance decent enough to affect her growth. Definitely worth exploring more. Hope he’s ok Minnie. 

• Like 2

Lou-bags

My first thought was to have his eyesight tested. Right where your DS says his head hurts is where I would probably point to if I had to indicate where I feel eye strain. 

And, as with everything, if in doubt check it out. Your instincts are usually good, Minnie. So if your son says something's up, trust your gut (and your son!). 

• Like 2

lozoodle

I would get his eyes checked too! My daughter had headaches quite frequently. Got glasses, never a headache since (except when sick with a cold or something).

Minnie80

He points to the middle of the head. Not the forehead. Like in the crown area. 

He had eye surgery last summer. And I think he may need another one. But I think if my eye hurt, I would probably be getting pain in the forehead and side of the head. Not the crown. It's hard to tell.

• Like 1

mamatomia

Getting his eyes rechecked is a good starting point before heading off to the GP as in some cases there will be signs in the eyes of more serious problems that can then be diagnosed more quickly. 

daybreaker

My DS9 gets semi-frequent headaches, always starting in the afternoon/evening.  I have freaked out thinking they are brain tumours but did check online where it says they are more of a concern if they start in the morning. I plan on getting Ann eye test too as I think my son's could be eye strain from too much iPad as they seem to be on the weekends when he plays.

Minnie80

I don't know what to think. After he said his head hurts in the morning, we went to the beach from 10 am till almost 5 pm. He swam, dived in the waves, played with sand, climbed on top of me. He seemed totally fine. I mean, I rarely get headaches, but when I do, I just want to lie down. 

The only explanation is that it is something that comes in short bursts than disappears. We are traveling. But I will keep a note of when he says his head hurts and then take him to the pediatrician next week God willing

Redchick2

I think it is a very good sign if he is happily playing at the beach. Could be something as simple as muscle tension that makes his head hurt (sounds like it doesn’t last for long?). But always trust your intuition and get it checked out when you can. 🤗

klr75

Take note of his water intake, due to the cooler weather he may not be drinking enough water