Hypnic Jerk

HelloFresh

Hypnic Jerk

DD12 started up vegetarian again, around the same time I was given a HelloFresh voucher which I selected 2 serves x 5 nights vegetarian menu.

I really like it.  I've gone up to FT doing shifts and having to work out meals for DD plus the rest of us would have done my head in.  But I noticed last night just how high in kJ the serves are.

No real  questions here, I'm just wondering if anyone else is using HF.

lozoodle

I love hello fresh, I use it now and then, I think I've had about 20 boxes over the last few years. I get sick of it if I do it all the time, but I do notice every time I deactivate for a bit I get offers of 50% off and things like that which is great :)

Leslie Knope

We started it a couple of months ago when someone gave me a discount code. We absolutely love it, and now I don’t know how we lived without it. Even the kids help to cook dinner, and they get excited when the box gets delivered to see what meals I’ve ordered. 

We started out ordering three meals a week and then upped it to four. Considering going to five meals a week. I hate cooking but it takes the anxiety out of deciding what to cook for dinner every night. 

• Like 3

SplashingRainbows

There are a lot of carbs and the portions are big. That would be contributing to the kJ. 

That said it is very convenient. 

I stopped using them as I couldn’t deal with the packaging waste, and am trying to reduce carbs but I think they’re a great option for many many families. 

Jersey Caramel
Posted (edited)

We use Hello Fresh every week now,  the luxury of not having to decide what to cook or shop for it is awesome. And DH is not a confident cook so having everything there and the simple easy to follow recipes means he now cooks much more. 

I think the kJs are high because of all the sauces/aioli/mayonnaise etc and quite large serves - when I am trying to lose weight I omit or reduce the amount of sauce and cheese,  and divide the meals into 5 or 6 if possible (family of 5 plus one lunch). I usually try to add an extra vegetable or two to bulk it out as well. 

Edited by Jersey Caramel

JomoMum

We use it maybe 1-2 times every 2 months? We love it for new recipes. Then we figure out how to make our own spices/sauces  hehe. 

I do buy a bit of extra veg for the meals that week as they are pretty light on. 

DH loves it because he loves a recipe and love trying new things. I hate cooking to a recipe so when we do order, he cooks them. There is always enough for us both for dinner, lunch and one more meal. 

LK I loathe meal planning too. 

blimkybill

I love it and use the vegetarian box every 2-3 weeks. I find we get more meals than the number nominated on the box (ie 5 or 6 meal serves rather than 4). I am also very loyal to hello Fresh because they delivered reliably without missing a beat throughout lockdown round 1 and supermarket shortages. If you want slightly lower calories just use less oil when cooking and avoid the mayonnaises and sour cream additions. 

lozoodle

Agree, the portions are huge. A meal usually feeds our family of five with 2 x adult portions for lunch the next day.

hmmph

We've moved to Marley spoon, which has a bit more variety. It really is ideal for our family at this time.

Mooples

We get it every now and again. We like it for new ideas and different flavours however I find it a bit too repetitive to have all the time. Same as a pp I often add more veggies and yep very carb heavy. 

Expelliarmus

I lost ten kilos in the first 18 months I did Hello Fresh.  Most meals I would get 1-2 more serves out of. I found that I was using less cheese and other fatty things and more veggies than I had been. 

I now usually select my own produce from the F&V but still use the website for the recipe inspiration. 

Sleep Debt

I've had it for about a year but recently put it on pause due to same concerns you have posted .... one recent meal was over 1,000 calories per serve! I might as well have takeaway each night. 

Pro - I hate meal planning as well. It does make life easier. It was a god send during the whole panic buying phase.

Con - packaging ... if you have a strong environmental conscious, it's not going to sit well with you. 

Also, it gets quite samey same after a while. There's burgers, there's tacos, there will be some dish featuring roast vegetables and yoghurt dressing, a pasta dish, a Japanese inspired dish, a green type bowl .... what I'm trying to say is there is a framework which gets slight variations each week. It's awesome to begin with, but after a while it's yawn. Oh, I almost forget ..... quesadillas, another on high HelloFresh rotation.

So this is the first week for ages I'm not getting a delivery, I may come running back quick just for the convenience but I really need to shift this weight! It's not budging with exercise, so it has to be food. 

Beanette
56 minutes ago, hmmph said:

We've moved to Marley spoon, which has a bit more variety. It really is ideal for our family at this time.

I love Marley Spoon. It has I think 12 vegetarian / vegan meals to chose from each week, compared to four for Hello Fresh. 

I really can't fault it; I love not having to meal plan for three nights a week! 

littlepickle

We use a WA based delivery service (Dinner Twist) - the four meals are set but you get a choice of Plant based, wholesome and family. 

I have three meat eaters and a vegetarian so we usually have a 2 person Plant based box delivered weekly and then I match the menu with a meat option that is either purchased via Dinner twist market place or from the butcher. The box is a bit easier to manage in summer because there will be lots of amazing salads that we can serve to accompany our meat dish.

Little to no rubbish - things are not packaged like hello fresh and the recipe cards can be emailed. They will also take all soft plastics back the following week when you leave your esky box out for collection.

Delivery is also during the day time and the 2 hour window is texted the Saturday before.

It makes life much easier knowing that each week I can serve a meat/ vego option each night without having to make two different meals. DH and DS have also learnt to like some interesting flavours / items (Coconut bacon, jackfruit, cashew cheese and artichokes)

SeaPrincess
Posted (edited)

I like it, and I like that we can easily skip a week if I feel like it.We’ve had a few minor issues with the veges during COVID - bags of salad that were packed a week before they were delivered - but they credit the account.

The family box is plenty for a family of 5, whereas with Dinner Twist, I was pushing to feed 4 for the same price. For comparison with a like-for-like meal, Dinner Twist  sent 300g of meat, where we would get 500g from Hello Fresh. We’ve picked up some regular things that we cook even when we don’t have Hello Fresh as well.

Edited by SeaPrincess