Sign in to follow this  
Jaffa donuts

removalist cost

Jaffa donuts

I know this is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but I'm asking it anyway.  We are 'hopefully' finally buying a house and moving out of our rental.  All going well, we will only be moving a 5 minute drive away, in Melbourne.  (settlement won't be until mid October so hopefully lockdown restrictions will be eased)  
I am just trying to get a bit of an idea of how much a removalist would cost to do this move.  We are currently weighing up our options.  

Can anyone give me an idea of how much a short distance move has cost you, just so I have a ballpark idea?  Thanks

born.a.girl

I can't help with cost, as it was over 20 years ago, but we also only moved a short way, 5 - 10 mins.   If you choose from places that don't offer any storage, or overnight removal it will be much cheaper.  Ours was much, MUCH cheaper just using a van with three blokes, two travelled, one stayed at one end for a bit, then moved to the other to move things into place. Took about 3 x trips.

BornToLove

Do you plan to do the packing and just looking for transporting everything to the new house or someone to do it all? 

generally there is a charge for packing, then loading/unloading and a surcharge for km. Some will have an added cost for multilevel homes. 

I have use man with a van in the past and found their rates reasonable for a straight forward A to B move (we did all the packing and transported most fragile like the TV and art ourselves). 

smilinggirl

Some of the removal it’s websites will have a calculator where you just enter the details and it will give you a quote

Kiwi Bicycle

I used Man with a Van to move a 3 bedroom house within 1km.  We did the packing and unassembling and they loaded and unloaded. We did one trip of big furniture and appliances. We used our car to do more fragile stuff and used plastic boxes, and on second thought, we probably would have  been better to rent a trailer or a mini van for half a day and reduce the number of trips we did. I know we did it for under $500 ( 8 years ago).

jayskette
Posted (edited)

you can get quotes online. 

I pack most stuff into boxes, and removalist moves the boxes plus furniture. a 30min move for a 3 bed apartment (not cluttered) was I think around $600 a few years ago. it's in ACT so I think might be cheaper in Melb. also, make sure you get the right truck size to move everything in 1 trip. more than 1 becomes heaps expensive.

Edited by jayskette

Dianalynch

We just moved, it cost $1100, we moved 10 minutes away. That was packing and providing our own boxes. We moved a few fragile things in our cars, but only one trip’s worth no back and forth. That was from a 3 bed apartment with 2 full storage cages to a single level house. We got 3 guys and 2 medium trucks, it would have been a bit cheaper with 1 large truck but the parking was an issue. 2 guys might have been slightly cheaper as well, but we went for time over money. We didn’t try to cut costs at all, we were after ease this time around. 

It depends on how much you do yourselves as well. Dh gave directions and helped out, I was mostly looking after the 2 kids on their coronavirus extended school holiday. Timing. 

all the best with your move. 

Lesley225

Some removalists also do minimum charges

-Emissary-
Posted (edited)

We used “men that move” (menthatmove.com) and they were awesome. We’re in Sydney though and the guys here were quick and very professional. I recommend them to all my friends who need a removalist. 

We had two stops as DH had things he needed to move from his parents (about 20 minutes away) and the second stop was just 10 minutes away from our new place. 

We booked their 3 hours min package which came to $400ish but they were done in about 2 hours as we didn’t have much to pack and unpack. 

Edited by -Emissary-

Moukmouk

Emissary we used men that move as well. They were excellent. We moved out to renovate and then back in again. For the move back in, I booked three men and a slightly bigger truck. It worked out to be more efficient than two men because they didn’t get as tired. 

Mose

So, we moved at my busiest time of year. When our policy is strictly that anything someone else will do for cash we take them up on it.

We used Allied Pickford. They took half a truck of stuff to storage 3 months before we moved so house could be styled for sale. Two people came in the day before we moved and packed house top to bottom except essentials. One of them came back the next day to pack essentials while the moving crew started packing truck, disassembling furniture etc.  Moving crew had collected everything from storage on the way to our place.

We moved a distance such that by the time they went around parked cars etc, I walked faster than they drove.  They did 1.5 large truck loads.

They then unloaded all boxes, reassembled furniture, and came back a week later to remove all discarded packing materials.

From memory it came out very close to $5k all up. Which is super expensive, but it was really time that we didn't have that we were paying for.

If I had the money, I would do it that way again without hesitation.

YodaTheWrinkledOne

cheaper to use removalists mid-week (Mon-Thurs) than on the weekends (Fri-Sat-Sun)

Cheapest is if you do all the packing and unpacking yourself. Hire a truck and some men. Last time we moved (3 years ago, within the same suburb), it cost us about $700 for a large truck and 3 men (1 trip, around 3.5 hours of time, shifting a 4brm home). They also re-assembled bedframes and major furniture at the other end.  The more you put in a box, the easier it is to do the shift.

If you have the money, getting a company to pack your gear, move it and unpack it is the quickest and most efficient way of moving. A couple of packers arrive the day before and pack up your entire house. The removalists turn up the next day, load up the truck, drive it over to your new place and unload, with unpackers at the new residence ready to go. You can be three-quarters unpacked by the end of that day. But it's exxy.

blackcat20

Ours was about $1300 I think, but we moved 35km away so there was a time cost for the distance, plus their time to and from the depot. They busted their butts to get everyone on and off the truck in quick time and were worth every cent.