Sign in to follow this  
gabbigirl

10yo can’t use knife and fork

gabbigirl

My 10yo daughter still can’t use a knife and fork properly. She also only just learnt how to ride a bike, and is generally incredibly uncoordinated . I haven’t thought it a problem until tonight when I saw her attempting to cut her dinner with a knife and she just couldn’t seem to get it. Is this something an occupational therapist would help with? I just wonder if there could be something else going on. Anyone else experienced this with their kids? Thanks 

blimkybill

Yes an occupational therapist could help and could also give you an idea of how big a problem is.

Some people have problems with co-ordination and some have problems with strength/muscle tone. If it's severe enough there are diagnostic labels (eg developmental co-ordination disorder) or it can be less severe, but still make life a challenge. An OT could give you tips to break the task down and learn it step by step, they might also recognise other things she struggles with. There might also be strength issues and some forms of exercise might be recommended. 

• Like 3

gracie1978

Definitely yes!

• Like 1

DQMission

Sounds like an OT assessment might be a good idea. My now 16yo had a lot of trouble with using cutlery until he was about 11 or so. He has global low tone and hypermobility. Mostly he just needed some structured exercises and the time and space to work on it. I’d probably be asking at the school if they have noticed any issues with things like writing, using scissors and opening packaging, as well as any obvious gross motor/coordination issues in PE and general play. They may also be able to bring in an OT.

• Like 2

Jenflea

Does she get a decent amount of practice with cutlery? 

I admit, we tend to use splaydes a lot so my 10 yr old DD isn't great at using a knife and fork either so I need to make more of an effort to do meals where she has to use them. 

I also tend to cut her meat up when I serve it, partly habit and partly because it's easier for me to do it as I serve. 

• Like 3

Mrs Twit
Posted (edited)

I can't comment on the OT, sorry no experience. But I just wanted to say, we started our kids with something like this when they were little ( I can't remember the brand - maybe Tommee TIppee). It has moulded handles to show them where to place their fingers. If they aren't too small, something like that might help her get started while you decide whether you need to take it further. And yes it takes a lot of practice for kids to get good with cutlery - you could get her cutting up playdoh for practice.  

image.png

Edited by Mrs Twit
  • Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef

Yes this is exactly the sort of thing OT can help with. 

Both my girls have low muscle tone which affects pencil grip / handwriting etc.  OT has helped a lot. 

Oddly enough DD1 is ridiculously co-ordinated and really good at sports but she gets tired easily.  DD2 is alright at sports but struggles a lot with some basic co-ordination tasks like pouring a drink without spilling. 

• Like 1

spr_maiden

While you wait for OT help,  you could teach her how to scoop up food with pita neatly or also try chopsticks.  My children can't use cutlery but can use chopsticks well. 

• Like 3

anatomicalheart

Also- sometimes adult-sized knives and forks are just too big for child-sized hands, and that prevents them from using the cutlery effectively. 

We have some smaller cutlery in the drawer for children to select as they please. 

And, I do think it's  learnt skill- "put your fingers here to hold the knife... put the fork into your meat like this... now slice with your knife like this"... it definitely takes practice. 

• Like 2

GlitteryElfFarts

DD21 still has problems sometimes cutting up her own steak. She holds her knife and fork differently to rest of us but she also uses both hands for a lot of things. She writes with her right, but can write with her left if needed. Her left foot/leg was always her strongest in sport. It has no affect on anything else in her life either. 

• Like 1